The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 26, 2007, 07:14 PM   #1
Watermain

Hunting Camo Suit - Advice Please

I need your advice guys. Until now I've been happy to wear plain green waterproofs for shooting, but I have come to the conclusion that a 'realtree' type camo suit is required.

I want something of good/best quality, properly waterproof and breathable (so Goretex I guess). I am in broadleaf and pine woods. Rather than something ready insulated, I'd prefer to layer for warmth inside the suit. This would allow its use throughout the year.

I'm 5'9" and 42" chest, waist 36". Is that a US size medium?

What's your best advice fellas? How much should I spend? And where should I buy? The easy way is Cabelas own brand, I suppose; but perhaps all the smart money goes to a particular brand. I've been looking at ebay, but most of what is for sale there seems to be in HUGE sizes. XXL I ain't.
Old January 26, 2007, 07:58 PM   #2
Anon

What are you tring to hide from, and why do you think it's "lack of fancy camo" that's giving you away?

How did hunters deal with this pre-Real Tree?
Old January 27, 2007, 03:36 AM   #3
Watermain

Damned good question. I really haven't had any concerns about being seen, but you know what it is: peer pressure. Everyone seems to use camo these days, and I just wonder whether I'm missing out on something. Ditto scent hide spray, ditto facemasks, and realtree everything, ditto all the other wonders that Cabelas will gladly take your money for. What do YOU think? Is it all hype, and unecessary retail therapy? I'm a very conservative type of chap (and Conservative politically too) so if I don't need it to impress the boys (and I DON'T) I'll stick to my plain greens.
Old January 28, 2007, 04:41 AM   #4
Watermain

Does anyone else have an opinion on camo? I could do with some input here.
Old January 28, 2007, 10:45 AM   #5
whiskey

I will tell you that I was not a believer in name brand camo. I wore tan pants and a natural colored shirt, sometime camo of various brands, but anything neutral colored worked for me.

THEN....I came to know about ASAT 3-D camo. I am just an average hunter, so I need all the help I can get. I have had deer walk up to me when wearing ASAT. If the wind is right and I don't move, then I can stand in the middle of the road and deer will walk right past. Turkeys are known for their great eye sight. Well I had a big tom walk right past me as I sat on the side of the road, in the open. ASAT works! Me and my hunting buddy wear it now and have seen more animals up close since changing to ASAT. I had a coyote run up to me this year and he stopped when I started moving my arm to draw my pistol and almost took too long trying to figure what I was. He finally decided it was best to run off before I could draw my pistol. (it was bow season so I not well prepared to draw my pistol).

http://astacamo.stores.yahoo.net/asulle3dsy1.html

You probably want a medium suit. They fit over your other clothes.
Old January 28, 2007, 12:08 PM   #6
Buckeyenomad

Cabela's have one of the best selections available. Choose one that is the closest in pattern to the area you hunt.

Steve
Old January 28, 2007, 07:09 PM   #7
Watermain

Just the sort of information I needed. With THAT sort of experience to go on, I'll go with the ASAT.

Thanks all.
Old January 28, 2007, 09:55 PM   #8
whiskey

I don't think you will be unhappy with the ASAT. If you are, you can quickly get your money back by selling it on the classifieds at archerytalk.com
Old January 29, 2007, 05:46 PM   #9
FirstFreedom

What what little it may be worth, I saw an advertisement today for a new camo pattern from Realtree, the realtree "AP" - allegedly supposed to be the best camo yet, for blending into all types of ground and elevated positions.

http://www.realtree.com/media/detail.tpl?ID=175