The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2000, 01:16 PM   #1
Trigger Jerk

I just aquired a Dillion 1050 set up for 9mm 45 ACP, and 45 Long Colt. I plan to add .223. I have loaded on a 550 for many years.
For those who have used the 1050, do you know any tricks or have any advice that might not be covered in the manual, that would be of benefit to me?
Old January 15, 2000, 12:43 PM   #2
kv4v

For many years I have wanted a 1050 and have never known anyone who possessed one. Please let us know how you like it etc.... Doc

------------------
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? .... Mae West
Old January 17, 2000, 01:33 PM   #3
John Lawson

I have used my 11050 for a number of years and have found out a few things:
1.I bought mine set up for .45 acp and have never changed the setup. I have two 550's for other calibers. I bought a powder level warning and a counter (no longer available.)
2. Never let your shooting buddies use your 1050. They will move into your loading room and you will have to make reservations to load your own ammo.
3. It is a lot more complicated to change calibers on the 1050 than on the 550. You have to change the case feed setup as well as the dies and plate, etc. If you aren't going to load a lot of rounds, use your 550, since this prevents having to re-set up a caliber on the 1050.Anything else you want to know, e-Mail me.
Old January 18, 2000, 06:49 PM   #4
Trigger Jerk

Thanks John, I appreciate it.
Anyway...I set it up on Sat. It was already set up for 45 Colt, so that's what I decided to load. I only had 550 pieces of unloaded brass...well that didn't take long. It really is an incredible machine.

It came with shellpates and dies for 45 Colt, 45 ACP and 9mm. With powder checker dies and extra powder measures, I calculated it would cost nearly $2000 new from Dillon. I paid $650 for it from a gun shop that bought it thinking they were going to sell reloaded ammunition. I really didn't need it, but I felt I couldn't resist it at that price. I figured I could at least get my money out of it, if I had to.

Next is 2000 45 ACP cases and 4000+ 9mm
Old January 19, 2000, 09:33 PM   #5
WalterGAII

Price being no consideration, what advantages does the 1050 offer over the 650??
Old January 20, 2000, 10:02 PM   #6
bfoster

Trigger Jerk ... I've got a 1050. As you gain experience with it the calibre and primer size changes will go a lot more smoothly than at first. From the last cartridge in 9X19 to the first real production cartridge in 45 ACP will take about 45 minutes assuming you have no spare toolhead assemblies. Less time is involved if you do. You'll have a bit more time when you set up for .223 Rem as the powder checker needs a bit of fooling with to get perfectly centered so that it doesn't give false alarms- at least if you are compresing a charge of extruded powder.

As for "tricks" I only use one- I lube the primer slide lightly with parafin. This lasts well, and as the cartridge count mounts up it doesn't pick up contamination like grease does.

The only other comment I have is that the next acquisition to consider should be the Dillon Primer tube filler. This machine does make an irritating buzz, but it will forever eliminate the chore of filling primer tubes. It makes it possible for you to load about 900-950 jacketed rounds/hour alone, or 800-850 cast rounds per hour (you need to keep that seating die clean). Bob