The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 1999, 10:43 AM   #1
Riss

A friend of mine recently turned me on to using beeswax wads in handloads. Since he handloads all of his ammo on a single stage press it is a little easier. Just before placing the bullet, he puts a beeswax wad that has been precut and tumbled in dry moly, under the bullet and then seats them both. I have seen this in action. He can shoot 2 full mags out of his M1 and touch the barrel without getting burns. Apparently after each shot the beeswax melts slightly and coats the barrel for the next shot.
Old February 16, 1999, 11:02 AM   #2
Doc Lisenby

Riss, one of the benchresters of old said that the use of beeswax and graphite prolonged the life of his barrels. S.E.M, Inc of Glendale, AZ makes Sem Wax which is their own composition. I have used it in my 22-250 and it doesn't have any bad effects that I noticed. I didn't shoot it fast enough to see the effect of lowering barrel heat. I have heard that graphite becomes abrasive at some hi temp. I don't know. Anybody had experiences with what we are talking about? Maybe moly is better than graphite for this. I would like to know more about this if anyone can add something.
Old February 17, 1999, 02:57 AM   #3
Walt Welch

The question in my mind is does the beeswax/MOS2 wads have any deleterious effect on internal ballistics?

Further, would they have an effect on long term stability, such as ammo in storage in hot conditions. Walt Welch
Old February 17, 1999, 11:03 PM   #4
bfoster

Riss... For an extended discussion of this topic you might see if you can find a copy of Phil Sharpes' Handloading manual in the library. Though it was written in the thirties, and the last revision I'm aware of was in the early fifties, much of the data is still applicable. The graphite which Doc Lisenby mentions is usually used in a colloidal form, i.e. it is much finer than hardware store graphite. It is still available from the Acheson Chemical Company Sharpe mentioned. I've been to 4800 fps in a 244H&H Magnum shooting 55 grain Noslers using the Sharpe #2 wads, and seen no ill effects on a tool steel barrel. Pressures as registered on my Oehler M43 were exceptionally stable

------------------
Old February 17, 1999, 11:16 PM   #5
bfoster

Sharpe suggests modifications in wad composition to follow temperature variations. I've never tried to load more than a couple weeks prior to shooting these, so I'm not qualified to answer Walt's query about long term stability. On one hand, some of the cordite formulae did contain as much as 5% petrolatum (akin to vaseline), on the other, anyone who has attempted to use axle grease for a lead bullet lube will tell you the result is an awful lot of "bloopers" or duds.

------------------
Old February 21, 1999, 02:13 AM   #6
Riss

I can say that as for long term storage, that there must not be any problems as he handloads on a single stage press. And when he goes shooting he shoots alot. He is very conscious about accuracy in his work as a professional machinist and carries that carefullness and attention to detail through all of his shooting. Most of the guns he shoots are either Auto or one of a kind and he cannot afford to have any misfires from poorly made ammunition.