The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 6, 2005, 05:20 PM   #1
TSavage

Uberti?

Bought a new Winchester 9410 on-line and am sorry. Real POS. Should have looked at one up close. Pretty but not exactly 100% functional (sloppy/loose lever, may not load, may not fire, etc. - will have to send back to factory- what a PIA!). Am smitten with levers, though. Can anybody out there refer me to a full blown test of the Uberti 1866 Yellowboy in .38 (or whatever- I'd like a .38)? They are very pretty when viewed on a monitor but how accurate and dependable are they for the additional buckage? Tough? Strong? Go bang when you pull the trigger?

Say?
Old July 6, 2005, 05:51 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Ubertis are very popular in CAS. Serious shooters support a cottage industry of gunsmiths shortening the stroke, smoothing the action, and setting up the feeding for specific loads. But most work ok out of the box.
Old July 7, 2005, 08:59 AM   #3
TSavage

Thanks, sir!

I lost sleep last night after reading the company info and the history/eulogy of the founding father by his son. To know that the octogenarian Mr. Uberti, a gentle, perfectionist American West cowboy nut, died while taking a nap after pruning his beloved olive trees in Tuscany? How much better can it get? A very refreshing story in the midst of all this American Cowboy bashing from the Euro's. I'm not trying to equivocate his politics with those of my own but I think his life on paper would make an excellent book.

So you might as well tatoo "screw me" on my forehead. I'm a serious sucker for stories like that.

But the Yellowboy? Those oh-so-cool pistols? Too pretty.

.....I'm skeert but I think I'm gonna have to take the plunge.
Old July 8, 2005, 08:49 AM   #4
wrcook

Greetings

I am right now looking at long range rifles, but last weekend I had a chance to handle an Uberti 73 Winchester. The fit was nice, the action crisp, the quality was excellent, I was impressed. I might have picked it up, but I just bought my wife a matched pair of .357 American Western Peacekeepers, so I was a bit pocket poor. I am currently shooting an original 73, but I am looking to retire it in the next year or two favor of a repro. I am inclined toward the Henry. If the Uberti that I handled was any indication, go ahead.

Bill C
Old August 8, 2005, 01:08 AM   #5
Sierra_Nevada

1873 winchester

I bought an uberti 1873 winchester in 44-40 about 2 years ago. i have about 200 rounds thru it (handloads). have not had too much time to spend with it as you can see by the number of rounds i put thru it. It is fun to shoot and appears to be pretty accurate although i have not put it on paper. fit and finish is good on mine. not sure what someone who competes with one would think. they are probably more in tune with what is needed for that type of sport. I bought it to go with my ruger vaquero in 44-40 but since got rid of the pistol. the pistol was not that accurate. It would not take some 44-40 brass (too tight to go into the cylinder) either. i have read that the 44-40 brass differs from manfacturer to manufacturer and that is the reason for the ill fit. the ruger seemed to like the star line brass the best. the rifle had no problems and fed and fired anything i put into it.