The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 3, 2013, 07:09 PM   #1
lordhedgwich

Mauser

Here are some pics of my 8mm mauser sorry if pictures are a little blurry i dont own a camera so i used my phone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 050.jpg (125.6 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 040.JPG (223.7 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 039.jpg (84.5 KB, 101 views)
Old January 3, 2013, 07:32 PM   #2
tater134

Looks like a nice 98/22. I've got two of them and they are both excellent shooters and extremely well made rifles.
Old January 3, 2013, 07:43 PM   #3
lordhedgwich

yep thats what it is got it at a gun show in feb i think only shot about 10 rds through it though
Old January 13, 2013, 01:21 AM   #4
bbman25

that looks pretty good. My grandpa has one of those, its a real nice shooter. as for me, I have a german made mauser, 1944.
funny story with it, when I bought it i had little to no knowledge of mausers, only that I wanted one. I thought the fact that the wood of the stock forward of the front band slid up and down was normal, something was just loose.

well, after doing some research, I discovered that it was a "duffle cut" or a vut made by a soldier to fit the rifle stock along with the rest of the dismantled rifle in his duffle to bring it home.

so, a quick drilling of holes, wood glue and dowels should do the trick.
2 rounds in, the dowels snap.
rinse and repeat, but with epoxy that supposedly bonds like steel.
same issue.

so, after about 3-4 more times repairing it only to fail, i went all out and doweld, epoxy'd, and cut a groove, more epoxy, and a piece of notched steel layed in the stock. wrapped the cut in mesh, more epoxy, and had to hammer the front band down over it.

havent had a problem since, and ive put 450+ rounds through it since then.
rock solid. plus, you cant even tell its been cut or repaired. But, I guess we all have our rifle stories.
Old January 20, 2013, 02:50 PM   #5
ksstargazer

I have had 4 M98/22's throught the years. Still have 2 of them - traded two of them in order to get an AR. All were exceptional in the area of accuracy. It was not unusal with open sights to get 2-3 inch groups with these rifles. One of my favorite rifles due to their accuracy. What I have left is one curved and one straight logo.
Old June 21, 2013, 08:47 AM   #6
+1k ammo

I have just found one in the gun room and there looks to be some stock damage. Took to local LSG and they said it looked pretty good, but the butt end of stock had some water damage and a bad repair a long time ago and the stock was basically rotting from inside.

They suggested a replacement stock. Would that be worth it to fix this up. It was my Dads but I don't remember where he had picked it up - its not sentimental.
Old June 21, 2013, 01:20 PM   #7
kilimanjaro

Might try some wood repair epoxy first, just trim out the mulch and fill in.
Old June 21, 2013, 10:20 PM   #8
Mausermolt

the mausermolt is drooling. looks like my mauser itch needs to be scratched again
Old June 22, 2013, 09:57 AM   #9
mapsjanhere

+1k, it strongly depends on what you have. If you "Mauser" is a post war Yugo or a Russian capture with mismatched numbers, getting an original stock might not be worth it. OTH you can get good sporter stocks for less than $100, so there's an option if you want to shoot it. If your gun is a true German military gun with matching numbers and some finish, prices start at $500 and go up far from there. A repair/replacement stock might definitely be in order.
Show some pictures and people can probably tell you.