The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 10, 2010, 09:13 AM   #1
AR FUN

ITHACA SXS

I have an old Ithaca SXS. I am wanting to find out how old it is and what it is worth. The serial number is 27819 with a stamp of L2. The gun is in very good shape but the wood has been refinished and re-checkered. Does anyone know anything about this gun. Not in a position to get to my books at this time and I have a guy that is desparately wanting to buy the gun from me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old October 26, 2010, 08:03 PM   #2
redfisher43

Go to http://www.diamondgunsmithing.com/IGSN/IGSN.html
see if that helps. If not send pics & info to: http://ithacagun.com/
Old October 27, 2010, 07:00 AM   #3
darkgael

Flues?

I have two old Ithaca Flues with serial #'s 334XXX and 354XXX. They are both about 90 years old.
That low a serial number, 27819, means that it was probably made before 1900. Does it have Damascus barrels? Does it have exposed hammers?
Ithaca made a number of different types of SXSs early on - Crass, Lewis, Flues, NID, Minier. Not all of those are possibilities with that low number but show that there's a lot to look at.
Pete
Old October 30, 2010, 09:13 AM   #4
AR FUN

Ithaca SXS

Pete, thanks for the response. It does not have exposed barrels but does have damascus barrels. The stock has been refinished but is in original condition otherwise. A friend of mine looked at it and said that he was relatively sure that it is a Crass. I don't know if this helps. Thanks for the input, would like to learn more. Thanks again.

Greg