The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 5, 2008, 02:08 AM   #1
Wait, I'm Reloadin'

I have an idea, not sure if its good?

If there was a cowboy event that used blanks and lasers or maybe paintballs/simmunitions, and it was a quickdraw competition like Tombstone style. I know it sounds bad and dangerous, but i play laser tag and paintball anyway, and it would have to be well monitored of course. So good idea or bad idea?
Old August 5, 2008, 05:41 AM   #2
mykeal

Wouldn't interest me, but it might some other folks. Frankly, I've never seen the point of the paintball and laser tag games; shooting at people is not a game.
Old August 5, 2008, 08:43 AM   #3
PT111

Quote:
Wouldn't interest me, but it might some other folks. Frankly, I've never seen the point of the paintball and laser tag games; shooting at people is not a game.
I agree and going to put my flame suit on. There is a small minority that get so involved in any game that they start to lose sight of it being a game and want to take it to the next level which would be real guns. It can have an effect on some people and we constantly teach gun safety so paintball guns are not exactly toys for children.

An example of a game taken to the next level:

'Grand Theft Auto' murder halts game sales
Thailand teenager confesses to killing taxi driver while recreating game

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26009459/

If you want to play war games join the Army.
Old August 5, 2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Raider2000

I tried the Laser Tag crap back in the mid 80's when it first appeared on the scene & it wasn't for me, granted it may be fun to some but like was mentioned "some people take that type of game play way too far" & shooting at people is not a game so I would think of your idea as not a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT111
If you want to play war games join the Army.
Agreed or join Law Enforcement where you do train for the bad situations where excessive force may be necessary but PRAY THAT YOU NEVER HAVE TO USE IT!!!
Old August 5, 2008, 11:18 AM   #5
noelf2

There are people who have mental problems and have trouble drawing the line between a fun sport and an evil one. Consideration of those nut jobs should not come between me and a fun sport or game. Cowboy action shooting is the art of quick draw / quick shooting at inanimate objects, but the roots for the whole sport is "shooting at people". I am against any situation that puts restrictions on safe practices based on the potential action of crazy people.

Reloadin' -- I'm for it !
Old August 5, 2008, 12:02 PM   #6
mykeal

Regardless of the 'roots' of the sport, cowboy action shooters DO NOT shoot at people. There's a real big, meaningful difference. I say again,
SHOOTING AT PEOPLE IS NOT A GAME.
Old August 5, 2008, 12:18 PM   #7
Pahoo

Games and guns are a bad mix.

Not only is it a bad Idea but a not so good post ???

Be Safe !!!
Old August 5, 2008, 12:24 PM   #8
sundance44s

I must say when I was too young to hunt ..I didn`t play with dolls ..cap guns and gunfights were the norm . Got older and was given a 22 rifle and with it came the warning never point a gun at anything you aren`t wanting to kill ..
I do enjoy killing time shooting targets ......but the idea of aiming any kind of gun at another person just doesn`t work for me .
Old August 5, 2008, 03:12 PM   #9
noelf2

Hey, Don't point that finger at me! It might go off...

I don't look at paintball or lazer tag as much different than the cap gun wars of my youth. There is need for some extra safety precautions for the responsible player (protect the eyes and cover the skin). I don't even play paintball or laser tag, but I wouldn't say that laser tag or laser "showdown at noon" would be much different. Sounds fun to me! But hey, sling shots and gummy bears would be fun too!

My post before was a response to those who think a potential fun activity for others is a bad idea based on the possibility that people might learn to be crazy by doing it. Hogwash... That same reasoning is why we have a bunch of anti-gunners running around trying to stop our mutual hobby as gun enthusiasts and collectors. "Don't let them buy guns. They might get mad and start killing people."

Think about it. Did you play cops and robbers with toy guns (capguns, rubber band launchers, sticks)? Was it fun? Did your mom or dad ever buy you a cap gun and say "Never point this at anyone"? Doubtful or they wouldn't have given you a cap gun in the first place (this is where sticks would be a necessity ). My dad taught me gun safety. He taught me not to point a dangerous weapon at anyone unless I absolutely had to. I've kept that with me all my life, and live by it. But I would surely point a laser or paintball gun at anyone in the game.

SHOOTING AT PEOPLE IS NOT A GAME
SHOOTING AT PEOPLE WITH TOYS IS A GAME (if mutually acceptable of course)

Granted, some people don't know the difference between a game and real life. It is not a good idea for them to play the games, or get involved with cowboy action shooting, or any other kind of shooting for that matter. Here's another concept:

OWNING GUNS IS NOT A GAME

Should we not own guns because some folks will do bad things with them?

I'm done... Do what you want... I'd like to play laser high-noon...
Old August 5, 2008, 03:28 PM   #10
teeroux

Quote:
I'm done... Do what you want... I'd like to play laser high-noon...
I'd play you me and my friends used to duel. We would load paint markers with a single shot and walk ten paces turn and shoot.

I also cheated a few times shootin in the back before turn and loading two shots.
Old August 5, 2008, 05:26 PM   #11
sundance44s

Now just be careful you`ll put an eye out !
Old August 5, 2008, 05:31 PM   #12
mykeal

The difference between playing with toy cap guns and squirt guns as children and shooting paintballs and lasers at people as adults should be obvious: children - adults.

Are you still a child?
Old August 5, 2008, 05:56 PM   #13
long rider

Well looks like you was boowed of the stage on this
topic,maybe you should try some other forum
this one is bp & cowboy action, the only time i use paint
is on my walls.
Old August 5, 2008, 06:09 PM   #14
w_houle

Okay, so this thread has veered way off topic, and is in the wrong place anyway
Hmmm... The wild west shoot out, with paintball guns. If you do the paintball masks right, you could almost get a Westworld theme going on. The thing you would have to keep in mind is to keep the velocity as low as possible, especially with the very close ranges that you will be dealing with. The major problem is finding equipment that looks even remotely connected to the era specified.
Old August 5, 2008, 09:08 PM   #15
ED21

Pretty interesting how one comment if favor turned the tide from the liberal mindset of "guns = bad" to using common sense when dealing with games or actual weapons.
Old August 6, 2008, 02:46 AM   #16
Wait, I'm Reloadin'

ok guys and gals, I don't advocate unsafe handling of guns. I was in the USCG and have been drilled over and over again on it. We used berettas with paintballs loaded into the shellcases and went into shoot houses with full face masks. I love paintball, but accuracy it lacks. Some police dept. use blank guns with lasers attached and shoot at movie screens also, I have yet to get into cowboy action shootin cause I live in NW FLA and don't know where to go, but I think this could be a fun event to make it into the whole event at a CASS event. But I am 25 and don't know if everyone would be a player in this event
Old August 6, 2008, 06:42 AM   #17
sundance44s

Reloadin ...good to see a fellow Ex Coasty ...Big Howdy to ya ...
Old August 6, 2008, 09:13 AM   #18
PT111

Reloadin' - I don't think anyone is trying to bust your chops or anything like that but playing games where you even pretend to shoot each other with real guns is not a good idea. The training scenarios you brought up was simulated action rather than shooting at real people. Your first comment in the OP was blanks. What if a live round got mixed up with a blank and it is not hard to do. Blanks have powder and can cause injury at close range. laser guns and paintballs aren't the same.

I know it sounds like a fun game but how do we preach never point a gun at anything you are not ready to destroy and then violate that rule even for a game. Good luck in finding an insurer to write the policy.
Old August 6, 2008, 12:21 PM   #19
berkmberk1

How 'bout a change in view....

Instead of looking only at what may be wrong with the idea, how about trying an alteration or two to see what can be worked out?

The idea I have in mind is what some "fast draw" competitions stage for "head to head excitement where two contestants stand side by side, draw, and try to bust a balloon before the other guy..........how about a "head to head CAS stage? A firing line with dual setups...........a combination of hard and paper targets (to judge true accuracy)...........handicaps for loads (real/heavy vs. light/Plinkerton loads). Participating contestants......two or more........one or more "flights".........single elimination..........your target "killed" you're out.............

No face to face confrontation............I hit your target sufficiently hard and quick enough before you hit mine...............still the same overall outcome.....only safer........and almost as much fun........
Old August 6, 2008, 12:58 PM   #20
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkmberk1
Instead of looking only at what may be wrong with the idea, how about trying an alteration or two to see what can be worked out?

The idea I have in mind is what some "fast draw" competitions stage for "head to head excitement where two contestants stand side by side, draw, and try to bust a balloon before the other guy..........how about a "head to head CAS stage? A firing line with dual setups...........a combination of hard and paper targets (to judge true accuracy)...........handicaps for loads (real/heavy vs. light/Plinkerton loads). Participating contestants......two or more........one or more "flights".........single elimination..........your target "killed" you're out.............

No face to face confrontation............I hit your target sufficiently hard and quick enough before you hit mine...............still the same overall outcome.....only safer........and almost as much fun........
Now that sounds more like what I would like to see.
Old August 6, 2008, 04:19 PM   #21
PT111

berkmberk1 - No problems with that at all. I am not sure that is what the OP had in mind but there arealready "contests" like that being held. Doesn't have quite the same thrill as with a face-to-face duel but a lot safer.
Old August 7, 2008, 12:02 AM   #22
Wait, I'm Reloadin'

ok, well berk makes alot of sense, I think my idea has a chance but must be well regulated with safety in mind. It was just an idea, so everybody stay safe and keep a staeady aim.

Sundance, nice to hear from ya , I was at Station Point Judith RI from 03-07. Always Ready
Corey
Old August 7, 2008, 05:50 AM   #23
sundance44s

Reloadin...don`t often run into fellow Coasty`s ..I was in 1971 -1975 //Stationed USCG WGB 280 SouthWind ..Then ThomasPoint Light . Always There .
Old August 7, 2008, 09:04 PM   #24
Hawg

Most of the CAS shooters are of the same mindset you encountered here. IMHO the idea isn't going to float with any serious shooting clubs anywhere. If you want to point guns at people and pull the trigger join a reinactment group.
Old August 8, 2008, 06:08 PM   #25
samsmix

FWIW, I DO point paintball and simunitions guns at people. That said, it is force-on-force training for the job, and we are very much practicing for the next level: Shooting real people with real guns!

Where your post turns to complete crap is the idea of doing it for fun. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my training, but the Old West quickdraw is a legend that never was. Unlike in the movies, when you shoot a man in the chest with your .45 Colt, he will NOT fall down or fly through a plate glass window, but continue to SHOOT AT YOU!

In truth, Bob Munden himself could not likely survive unscathed from a live-ammo quickdraw with a good shot of average speed. Both men would get shot, as handguns are not powerful enough to let you live on the difference.

. . .And to prove some idiots would do it for real, check out the Great Falls Tribune. Two tried; one died. And these guys were buddies, not enemies.

QWICKDRAW IS A VALID SPORT, but winners and losers can be determined by timers safely, and without ignoring gun safety. And a +1 to Berk's idea.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?