The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 19, 2000, 06:15 PM   #1
Oldspeed

Hello,
I was wondering if special tools are required to disassemble a S&W cylinder to install endshake washers? Brownells stocks a special tool that clamps to the ejector rod to unscrew it and prevent maring. They also carry a tool with brass insets that fits in the chambers to prevent ejector spline and pin damage. Can you do the same with Vice Grips with padded jaws on the ejector rod and fired cases in the cylinder? How tight does the factory tighten the rod? Are the threads right or left handed?
Thanks
Old June 19, 2000, 07:36 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Oldspeed, I normally hold the ejector rod in a padded vise, insert 3 empty cases and turn the cylinder counterclockwise. For really tight ones, I will use two extra cases leaving them protruding and opposite of each other. Put a wood dowel between them and use it as a T handle. George
Old June 19, 2000, 07:48 PM   #3
BBBBill

Oldspeed, do you have a pre-war or post-war gun? The rods are threaded opposite before and after WW2. I forget which is which at the moment, but thought I'd better speak up before you tackled it.
Old June 19, 2000, 09:38 PM   #4
Grayfox

Uh oh, now I'm confused. I though the ejector rod was a left hand thread, but if George is turning counter clockwise to loosen that would be right handed. Been a while since I took one apart. Which is it?

------------------
There's no such thing as too much love, too much money or too much ammo.

[This message has been edited by Grayfox (edited June 19, 2000).]
Old June 20, 2000, 12:09 AM   #5
Neil H

How old is your Smith?

I have several manufactured back in the 1970's (prior to Smith retooling to CNC machines & changing the cylendar design to reduce the number of parts). All mine have left hand threads on the ejector rod (turn clockwise to loosen).

I'm not sure about the ones manufactured since the retool.

You could call Smith (AKA The Evil Empire), and ask them.
Old June 20, 2000, 07:16 AM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Bbbill is right. The post war guns are left hand thread. Sorry for the half info. George