The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 16, 2012, 09:47 PM   #1
troopcom

Yugo M48 barrel

I have a Model 98 Yugo mauser action and was looking for a new barrel to put back on it. I like the 8mm mauser cartridge and would reload for it. I have a new M48 barrel that is for a large ring mauser. Can this barrel be fitted onto my Model 98 action and if so what are the steps to do so?
Old July 26, 2012, 04:46 PM   #2
troopcom

217 views, but no reply?
Old July 26, 2012, 05:30 PM   #3
CowTowner

All I can find to help is an M48 barrel:
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...100000497&dir=
And this may be what you already have.
The Mauser guru's will need to provide further assistance.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old July 26, 2012, 06:15 PM   #4
wpsdlrg

Well, I would take you through the whole process, tell you what to look for and watch out for, etc.... as I've done about 14 of them.

However, since you nearly had a cow over the content of my post on your "best honest 98 surplus military rifle group" thread.....I don't think I'll bother.

I might add something you don't want to hear and cause you to have a stroke.
Old July 26, 2012, 10:08 PM   #5
firewrench044

Yes the M48 barrel will fit a 98

there are many books that cover barrel replacement
the proces is not just unscew one and screw the new one in
there is a lot of work and preparation
also special tools needed ( action wrench, barrel vise,chamber reamer
and more
too much to discus in a forum
get a book
or it will cost less to have a gunsmith do the job
Old July 27, 2012, 11:47 PM   #6
troopcom

firewrench044 quoted:
Quote:
Yes the M48 barrel will fit a 98
Is there a lot of machine work involved, or just facing off the chamber end. I did notice from photos that the M48 barrel has a step in it and the 98 barrel does not.
Old July 29, 2012, 07:31 PM   #7
HankC1

I would just buy a 1912 Mauser barrel and make a 7.62x51 mauser. Barrel with front and rear sights is only $50 from centerfire Systems last time I checked.
Old July 29, 2012, 09:15 PM   #8
troopcom

Yeah I thought about a 7.62x51, but I'm really fond of the 8mm mauser.
Old July 30, 2012, 09:19 AM   #9
Wyosmith

Where are you Troopcom? Are you close to Wyoming?
Old July 30, 2012, 10:24 PM   #10
troopcom

Nowhere close to Wyoming, but I think its a beautiful state.
Old August 5, 2012, 12:09 AM   #11
CrossedCannons

That thing on the chamber end of the m48 barrel is called a safety breech, you would need to machine it off and also measure the barrel you took off of the 98 and machine the tenon to the same dimensions, very easy to do this, a little more trouble to go the other way.
Old August 11, 2012, 11:18 AM   #12
F. Guffey

Just because you are asking and you have a M98 receiver and a M48 barrel I suggest you install the bolt in the (standard length) receiver, then install the M48 barrel. If the barrel stops before the shoulder at the end of the shank threads contacts the receiver ring measure the gap between the receiver and barrel seating surface with a feeler gage, then remove the bolt and continue screwing the barrel into the receiver. If the barrel screws into the receiver to within a few thousandths the thickness of the gap will indicate the amount of of metal that must be removed from the M48 barrel face.

I do not have less than 30 Mauser barrels, to most that would be a ‘can not miss’ when setting the length of the chamber, problem, finding a Mauser barrel with +/- case head protrusion, my barrels have .110 case head protrusion +/- very little. I purchased 4 Surplus Mausers that were sold as being suspect, I used one barrel, 4 bolts and the 4 receivers to test the rifles for ‘suspect’, the difference in chamber length of the 4 receivers, 4 bolts and 1 barrel was .001 thousandths., the suspect rifles had worn out 2 barrels before I became the proud owner.

There are two seating surfaces on the 98, one is between the barrel face and ‘C’ ring/torque/seating surface, the other is on the face of the receiver ring, the seating surface on the front of the receiver ring contacts the seating surface at the end of the threads on the barrel shank, it is important the last contact to be made when securing the barrel is on the front receiver ring. For those that have never took up the ‘feeler gage’ as a transfer/standard/verifier can use depth micrometers, etc.. When the barrel bottoms out I check the gap between the receiver and barrel, contact is made on the front receiver ring when the slack is removed between the threads and crush takes place.

It is not a matter of ‘HOW’ but ‘WHY’, as someone said “get a gook”, I ran off a few copies of barrel instillation instructions for a friend, the instructions were ‘BI’, before the Internet, I do not shoot gages, I shoot ammo, I determine the length of the chamber first, If I felt is was absolutely necessary to have a ‘head space gage’ I would make one. Again, I modify go-gages to go from go-to infinity gages, nothing more useless than a gage that everyone should know, when chambered, will allow the bolt to close. My favorite gages measure in thousandths from .000 ‘zero’ to infinity, when checking chamber length infinity would be a practice .016 thousandths.

The instructions gave options and were from the manufacturer of the barrels.

If you have a bolt for the 98 remove the extractor when determining bolt face/barrel face clearance, the extractor will hit the flat of the M48 first. The M1917 and 03 Springfields have extractor cuts to accommodate the cone face barrel.

F. Guffey