The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 7, 2006, 06:46 PM   #1
yukon

newbe need help w/rem.511

I have a oooold mod.511 given to me by a frind. Gun looks like it has not been cleand in 20 years! removed barrel no promblem. Not shore how to take apart action or bolt. I cant find any info on dissasibaly any help would be great.
Old January 7, 2006, 10:15 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Here's a Link to an exploded view. Click on the picture to expand it.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...Model=0860z511

Basically on these .22 bolt rifles, you don't disassemble unless there's parts that need replacing.

What I recommend is either get a couple of cans of "gun scrubber" at the gun store or Wal-mart and give it a good blast cleaning, or buy a gallon of cheap Wal-mart paint thinner.

Pour a enough into a coffee can to cover the bolt, and stand the receiver up in it an let soak for a few hours.
Pull out every now and then and give the parts a good scrub with a toothbrush and bottle brushes.

After soaking and scrubbing, flush with clean thinner, then dry by either blowing with compressed air, or shake it off as well as possible and warming up with a hair dryer.
Make sure to get the bolt dry internally.

DO NOT use high heat.

After whatever cleaning method you use gets the crud off and everything is dry, get a good spray lube like CLP Breakfree and spray everything dripping wet.
Shake off the excess, and allow to drain.
Wipe dry and reassemble.

This eliminates taking it apart and breaking/loosing/ can't get it back together problems.
Old January 7, 2006, 10:45 PM   #3
yukon

Thanks for info D-wheel was bored so went ahead and took apart I have a vido cam. so I filmed taking it apart,I puy it back together and then disasimbeled it again ,farley easy to put back together. Will have to remeber to use cam again. Good way to have perm. record on file.
Old January 8, 2006, 06:59 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

Dear Shooter:
Defariswheel is not bored - he told you the truth.
Once you take that barrel out you will NEVER get it back without play (I suggest using the red loc-tite if you get it back in). These are excellent little guns. I never take apart a pressed in - pinned barrel! Ruger 19-22 is different.
As he says it just needed a good cleaning. Hope you get it back well.
Harry B.
Old January 8, 2006, 10:32 PM   #5
yukon

Harry Bonar

Dear Sir: I in no way ment to impy that Dferiswheel was bored. What I ment was that "I" was bored, being the tinker that I am.I could not stand it any more and got my vido cam. out and filmed myself taking the gun apart. The reson I took the barrel off because I was rebluing the gun. Thanks for the tip on using red locktight. Sorry for the confution I never did well in english as far as wrighting. Did you mean Ruger 10-22?