The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 3, 2015, 09:46 AM   #1
bandman

Rimless ammo wheelguns longer barrels

Hi,

Does anyone know of any wheel guns that use rimless ammo (9mm, .40) and no half moon or moon clips, but are more set up for target 5" or 6" barrel? I know Charter Arms makes the Bulldog series, but I want something with a longer barrel and no moon or 1/2 moon clips. Thanks for any and all responses...Bill
Old August 3, 2015, 09:50 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

Ruger's convertible single actions... I'm not aware of a double action...
Old August 3, 2015, 10:43 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Ruger Blackhawk .45 convertible. .45ACP cylinder, SA design (no moon clips), barrels from 4 5/8" to 7/5".

Also the same gun in .357 Mag with a 9mm Luger cylinder.

Also the S&W 1955 Target, and other S&Ws in .45acp (and the Colt 1917) can all be used without clips. However, without clips, you have to poke the fired cases out one at a time with a stick...

The same goes for the handful of 9mm DA revolvers.
Old August 3, 2015, 02:53 PM   #4
DaleA

Here's an article about some DA revolvers from S&W and Charter Arms that had a tricky ejection system for 9mm.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/cha...-good-concept/

Also this thread talks about a really Rube Goldberg wire modification that would allow 9mm to be used without moon clips on some Rugers.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-363088.html

Don't know about the longer barrels but (shrug) if you have the bucks...

P.S. Not to be a wet blanket but the fact nobody hardly does this might mean it's not a very good idea.
Old August 3, 2015, 03:42 PM   #5
laytonj1

S&W model 986, 5" barrel in 9mm and model 929, 6.5" barrel in 9mm. Both are double action revolvers.

Jim
Old August 5, 2015, 05:38 PM   #6
540mope

oops...misread OP's post...scratch that!!

Last edited by 540mope; August 6, 2015 at 05:26 AM.
Old August 6, 2015, 12:18 AM   #7
DaleA

Well the original post did say:

Quote:
-and no half moon or moon clips
but he/she hasn't come back so maybe they lost interest.

I certainly could be wrong but I got the impression they were asking for a DA gun that would eject the empties without poking them out or using the clips. Sigh. Maybe I'll never find out their intentions.
Old August 7, 2015, 11:07 PM   #8
bandman

Sorry everyone. Been in the hospital. Yes, I was asking about DA/SA revolvers. Thanks for all the replys....
Old August 9, 2015, 02:19 PM   #9
DaleA

Quote:
Been in the hospital.
I was going to say I hope everything came out okay but then realized that might not be too sensitive so I'll change it to 'I hope everything turned out okay.'

There's all kinds of folk that REALLY LIKE moon and half-moon clips and the interesting, but goofy, designs to eject rimless cases from a revolver haven't met with much success so maybe consider warming up to clips?

Jerry Miculek likes 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHG-ibZaKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FbUMqoyjDw
Old August 9, 2015, 02:28 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those S&W revolvers made for 9x19 without clips were made for a foreign (French?) police requirement in a somewhat unique situation. They wanted a revolver because it would be seen as less militaristic but also wanted to use the free (to police) army ammunition. Not a common situation.

The idea worked, after a fashion, but IIRC there was never a large contract. There could be a limited market among American police, but probably not enough to make further development worthwhile. I can't see much of a market for a target or long barrel version, either among police or civilians.

Jim
Old August 9, 2015, 03:29 PM   #11
BillM

The S&W 625 will chamber and fire 45 ACP just fine without moon clips.
Ejection is more along the line of a Single Action---you have to provide
your own ejector rod.
Old August 9, 2015, 04:44 PM   #12
bandman

Moon clips and ammo

Thanks for all the reply. I guess this all started when I found out that you can shoot 32's in the .327 magnums. I have lots of spinal problems and can't shoot much more than a .38…and enjoy it or have any accuracy. I have tons of .22's and was just looking for some other revolver options. When I heard about the 9mm option, that is what started me looking for a longer barrel option. Thanks again everyone.........I will revisit the moon clip options.
Old August 9, 2015, 04:55 PM   #13
RJay

When you state " shooting 32's in a .327 " do you mean 32 ACP? The .32 ACP can be shot in most .32 revolvers because it does have a rim, small rim, but still a rim.
Old August 9, 2015, 05:45 PM   #14
bandman

32's

I am not sure. I was just told that a .32 long would chamber in a .327. I will have to check it out..... Thanks
Old August 9, 2015, 09:31 PM   #15
RJay

O.K., my error, yes any of the current .32 revolver cartridges will chamber and be safely fired in a .327 Federal chambered revolver, 32 S&W Short, 32 S&W Long and the 32 H&R Magnum. There are other older .32 cartridges but they are obsolete and there is no need to confuse the issue. In reference to the .38 Special, low power wad cutters are a joy to shoot and are very accurate. Under your circumstances' I wouldn't even bother with anything else, but that is also why they made different flavors of ice cream, people like different flavors. ( my self, I don't know why they even bother making anything but coffee and black walnut but , what the hey ).