The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 5, 2012, 11:42 PM   #1
kmaysob

thinking about a muzzle brake

i really dont have an idea of where to start. ive done some searching here and on google. ive got a 700 sps in .308 with the varmint (heavy barrel). what size would i need to start looking for, i know ill need to have the barrel threaded, anyone have a guess of what i can expect to pay to have it threaded?
Old February 5, 2012, 11:54 PM   #2
Scharfschuetzer

Muzzle brakes can be very effective in reducing felt recoil, but you never get something for nothing.

Muzzle brakes (regardless of claims) really raise the decible level of the rifle's report. While this is often directed to the sides of the shooter, it still is loud and if fired under a covered range can be very disturbing to adjacent shooters.

I've used them on 50 calibre rifles (M-107 and some of the previous 50 cal rifles) and also on the 338 Lapua. They really hurt the spotter's ears and for military shooters, a concern is that they also raise the dust signature on firing if done in very arid locals.

They can not be used at NRA high power matches due to their effect on adjacent shooting positions.

That said, it is pretty neat to watch the trace (sonic disturbance of the atmosphere) of your bullet all the way to the target without loosing sight of it in the scope although the Barret recoils too much for that.

Cost? I don't know. A gunsmith might have to remove the barrel to properly turn it and thread it on a lathe. Might up the cost a bit.
NRA Police Distinguished Expert
Old February 6, 2012, 03:08 AM   #3
Chinny33

put a muzzle on a .308? really?

What do you weigh under 100lbs? The .308 win is a soft push. a 12ga shotgun has a higher felt recoil than a .308. Get a better recoil pad, cheaper and easier on the ear drums.
Proverbs 27:12
Old February 6, 2012, 12:22 PM   #4
old roper

I just look one of our local gunsmith and he charges $200 they make different style if shooting prone so it's not one size or style fit all.

I've had couple on some LR varmint rifles nice to see the hit or miss!
NRA Life Member
Old February 6, 2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Saltydog235

If you need a muzzle brake on a .308 then you need to go back to a .22LR or pellet gun. Those things are worthless and detrimental unless you are shooting something with a high recoil signature and doing it a lot.
Old February 6, 2012, 02:42 PM   #6
sourdough44

Other options are 'reduced recoil' ammo or handloading om the low side. I'd try to get by with braking it.
Old February 6, 2012, 10:38 PM   #7
HKGuns

Quote:
If you need a muzzle brake on a .308 then you need to go back to a .22LR or pellet gun.
^^What he said.^^

Click Here
Old February 7, 2012, 12:25 AM   #8
JHansenAK47

My permanently attached muzzlebrake on my 300 win mag ran me 225.
Old February 7, 2012, 12:58 AM   #9
Scharfschuetzer

Any change in zero? I've noted a lower POI when puting our suppressors on. I think the weight hanging on the barrel is the reason, but they act differently than a brake, so I'm interested if you noted a similar change in the zero before and after your installation of your muzzle brake.

Last edited by Scharfschuetzer; February 7, 2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old February 7, 2012, 11:52 AM   #10
kmaysob

maybe im on a mission to make a 308 shoot like a .22

i have a pacmayre f99 tripple magnum recoil pad on order. that thing is 1.5'' thick. ill see how it performs with that, but others have posted the exact reason why im thinking about one. it would be nice to see my shot hit.

ive seen plenty of guys at the range with a brake on their 22-250, 223, 308, ect.
Old February 7, 2012, 12:00 PM   #11
pturner67

I have the knights armament triple tap (muzzle break) on my AR...can't remember 100% but I think I've heard the best for the .308 is the battle comp

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...al+Compensator
Old February 7, 2012, 12:07 PM   #12
uncyboo

Quote:
What do you weigh under 100lbs? The .308 win is a soft push. a 12ga shotgun has a higher felt recoil than a .308. Get a better recoil pad, cheaper and easier on the ear drums.
Quote:
If you need a muzzle brake on a .308 then you need to go back to a .22LR or pellet gun. Those things are worthless and detrimental unless you are shooting something with a high recoil signature and doing it a lot.
Quote:
Quote:
If you need a muzzle brake on a .308 then you need to go back to a .22LR or pellet gun.
^^What he said.^^
Some people are just close minded. I weigh 250 and have been shooting for 40 years. I'm not very recoil sensitive, but I'm about to put a Ross brake on a 12 lb. Rem 700 VLS in 6mm Rem. shooting 55 grn. Noslers. Why? Because it generates just enough recoil to take the target out of the scope at extended ranges and high scope magnification settings. I like to see those prairie rats explode in the scope.

There are other reasons to reduce recoil besides compfort. Plugs under muffs take care of the increased volume.
Old February 7, 2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Poodleshooter

You can have the barrel braked without threading it. Most hunting rifle brakes go this route. Magnaport is an example. It's generally much cheaper if you don't have a separate need to have it threaded, and if you intend to use the brake all of the time.

A few reasons to thread it would be to add a suppressor or muzzle tuner in the future, or to add a brake built as a suppressor adapter, such as the Brakeout.

If you thread it, go 5/8-24, which is basically the standard for the above.
Look around locally for threading. Expect to pay $150 or more+ shipping if you send it out. That's before the actual brake cost gets added.
Try someone like Adco Firearms in OH if you send it out.

I'll add that I detest muzzle brakes. I had a braked BOSS on a 7mmRem Mag, and decided I would rather have the recoil than the massive increase in blast, which makes me flinch like crazy. I added a non-ported BOSS to it instead.
Old February 7, 2012, 12:55 PM   #14
timelinex

+1 on installing a brake.

I can't believe so many people are against it. Its all advantages the way I see it. If you are having trouble with its noise then get some real working earmuffs or don't go to the range where people shoot rifles. Maybe sign yourself up for some pellet gun competitions, I hear those are noise free! As far as dust being thrown, I have only had that be a problem once, and I live in arizona! I still consider that be more my fault that dust is being thrown up and not the rifles, the barrel was just too close to the ground for the conditions and thats why my bipod legs are adjustable.
Old February 7, 2012, 01:08 PM   #15
tobnpr

Here we go again...
"get a better recoil pad"...

Why don't these guys "get" that a brake allows you to stay on target for follow-up shots, and spot your own hits...

Go for it.
Old February 7, 2012, 01:53 PM   #16
kmaysob

Glad to hear not everyone is against it.
Old February 7, 2012, 02:12 PM   #17
Scharfschuetzer

I have a good friend that has a seperated right shoulder and the recoil of a 308 pains him to the point he doesn't shoot one. A muzzle brake is the ideal RX for him.

Darn! The old Magnaport option. I totally forgot about that. Back in my LE days, one of the officers had his Model 58 41 Magnum revolver ported in this manner. It was fun to watch him at night shoots and qualifications. There was a pretty large "V" of flame from his pistol when he fired the duty loads and of course you had to wear plugs and muffs when he was on the line.
Old February 7, 2012, 02:12 PM   #18
Crow Hunter

I have had muzzle breaks on 3 different rifles and 2 pistols and fired several others.

I won't have another with one.

They do increase the noise as well redirecting the blast wave.

If you are near any surface that is even minutely reflective. You will get hit with the blast wave. Depending on the caliber and length of the barrel it can be like someone puffing air in your face up to enough to make your eyes tear and your nose run.

I would personally rather work on my stance/recoil control than deal with the noise/blast of a muzzlebrake.

Especially if this is a gun that you are ever planning on hunting with. Unless you hunt in muffs/earplugs.

Here is an example.

Last winter, my brother and a friend and I were shooting rifles in the field down below the house. I was shooting a Colt 6920 and he was shooting a SCAR-L. I fired the Colt first and my brother/friend were standing next to slightly ahead of me spotting for me. Then we switched to the SCAR-L. I fired the 1st shot, before I could get off the next 4 shots both my brother and friend got behind me standing in the woods because the muzzle blast was so bad. This was with the factory PWS brake. Each time the Colt came out, everyone stood pretty much even with the shooter. When the SCAR was up, we stood in the woods.

My brother took the SCAR out that following weekend and swapped to an AAC Blackout.
Old February 7, 2012, 02:25 PM   #19
5RWill

Quote:
That is by far one of the most ignorant statements i've come across in a long time.

There are clear advantages to shooting a .308 with a brake, if you shoot long range or competition for instance where you fire 100-200rds a match recoil wears on a person that is fact. It will reduce physical wear, help spot shots, and ultimately aid in correction for wind, due to retained sight picture of your shot.

I really don't understand this mindset that if you brake certain calibers that your a wimp or some stupid **** like that. What if your concern is marksmanship? Where in his statement does he imply that the .308's recoil bothers him? And no neither of my .308s are braked but i've considered it.

As to where to look, i like SF 7.62 brake alot. Aesthetically pleasing and reduces recoil very well. Also QD compatible with their suppressors

Here's a picture of the GAP gladius as seen with the surefire.

Here's the GAP Titan muzzle brake on a remington varmint contour such as yours. It's integrated brake that could be used as a thread protector or unless you want it to just remain on the barrel.

Last edited by 5RWill; February 7, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old February 7, 2012, 02:36 PM   #20
ThorInc

+1 on the brake....
Old February 7, 2012, 03:55 PM   #21
tobnpr

Blackops x 2

Can't fix ignorant.
Now, if they would just allow themselves to be educated...

Why is it, that the blast noise from a brake at the firing line makes you a d***head, but the same guy that would bitch about it thinks nothing about dumping a 30 round clip from his AR right next to your head?
Old February 7, 2012, 05:03 PM   #22
Saltydog235

Too each his own. The recoil of the .308 is a pussycat compared to other guns especially in light of the pressure wave and noise being the tradeoff. I'm sure there's some arguement to be made on reducing recoil for spotting your shots but muzzle blast and noise off of a braked gun is as detrimental to spotting those shots as the nominal recoild of the .308 round is.

LOL, I can shoot my .308 as long as I want and not have recoil become a factor, some of the other magnums I have, not so much.

Wouldn't mind a good suppressor though.
Old February 7, 2012, 05:27 PM   #23
5RWill

I shoot a .300wby braked and with hearing protection it's not bad, sure it's noticeably louder but it's not "detrimental" by any means.

This is a serious question with no pun intended, have you ever shot 200rds straight through your .308?

And yes i wouldn't mind a nice can either.

Last edited by 5RWill; February 7, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old February 7, 2012, 07:42 PM   #24
uncyboo

Quote:
The recoil of the .308 is a pussycat compared to other guns
Quote:
Where in his statement does he imply that the .308's recoil bothers him?
This^^^^

Quote:
especially in light of the pressure wave and noise being the tradeoff. I'm sure there's some arguement to be made on reducing recoil for spotting your shots but muzzle blast and noise off of a braked gun is as detrimental to spotting those shots as the nominal recoild of the .308 round is.

LOL, I can shoot my .308 as long as I want and not have recoil become a factor,
And I can shoot my Lone Eagle braked 15" 7mm08 as long as I want and not have "pressure wave" nor noise be a factor.

Some responders pretty much told the guy he was a wimp for not handling 308 recoil (which he never complained about) and then turn around and say they can't handle the noise and "pressure wave"? Really? Pressure wave? From a 308? Now THATS funny.

Last edited by uncyboo; February 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old February 7, 2012, 09:32 PM   #25
HKGuns

Quote:
There are clear advantages to shooting a .308 with a brake, if you shoot long range or competition for instance where you fire 100-200rds a match recoil wears on a person that is fact. It will reduce physical wear, help spot shots, and ultimately aid in correction for wind, due to retained sight picture of your shot.
Good point, hadn't thought of that because that isn't what I use my rifles for......sometimes it is a matter of perspective, not ignorance.