The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 26, 2004, 05:39 PM   #1
gazza

shotgun tracer load

Can anyone help I am trying to teach a couple of people to shoot clays and am having trouble convincing them that they are not giving enough lead and would like to add something to my reloads to show where they are shooting. Is it possible to mix in something to make a type of tracer load to show them where they are actually shooting.
Old September 26, 2004, 06:52 PM   #2
mete

Perhaps paint the shot flourescent orange .With a video camera you could track the muzzle to see if there was a hesitation in the swing.The bird always moves perhaps with a gradual slowing down but it never hesitates. Shooters often hesitate.
Old September 26, 2004, 07:44 PM   #3
steveno

at one time Cabela's sold 12 gauge shells with a tracer element in them. whether or not they still do I don't know. you might check with "Old Western Scrounger" as they carry a lot of oddball stuff. The tracer element was easy to see but how well it actually followed the shot column I can't say as it would take a better shot than me to prove anything. One thing I do know is that you DO NOT shoot them where it is dry as the tracer element could cause a fire and that would not be good
Old September 26, 2004, 09:30 PM   #4
blades67

The proof is in the clay. If the clay doesn't break they didn't do something right, arguing about it just delays their progress.

I hunt, therefore I am.