The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 7, 2013, 10:27 PM   #1
zbones6

Inheriting a Revolver

Hey guys. My situation is bitter sweet right now. My Poppop, who is 94 now, said when he dies, he is going to will me his .32 S&W revolver. I live in New Jersey, and I'm only 18. I'm not sure about other places, but in NJ you have to be 21 and have a pistol permit for every pistol you buy. How is this going to work? I hate to say it, but i doubt my Poppop will live three more years (he sure as Hell makes it clear he doesn't want to) Is there an amnesty period or something? Or can my father take it and transfer it to me when I'm of age? Thanks in advance.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:54 PM   #2
1-DAB

You can dis-claim all or part of a will.

You could also keep it out of NJ until you are of age. You do have family you trust? Right.

Talk with a lawyer when it is time.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:55 AM   #3
RUT

>>when he dies, he is going to will me his .32 S&W revolver.<<

Why is he waiting??
Old January 8, 2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Baba Louie

zbones
If you can, try to take Pops and his revolver out for a spin at a local range or friends farm, before the old timers passes away into memories. The time on the range and the ownership might mean a tad bit more if you have a shared living memory to go along with the both. Buy a box or two of ammo (or have parents or Poppop as you are underage for that). Be safe.

I agree, he could "gift" it to you now, via your parents for holding until you reach legal state age. Perhaps. Anyway, just one old mans thoughts. Might ask your parental units & Grandpa his thoughts to this idea.

S&W Revolver... Breaktop? I assume... which I know I should not do.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old January 8, 2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Winchester_73

Well since no one else has said, "32 S&W" is a caliber designation which applies to hundreds of different cheap low quality DA revolvers from the early 20th century. While it could easily be a S&W (will have barrel address on top behind front sight) odds are that it is not, because so many knock offs were made. Either way, it will be a family heirloom, and pursuing this legally is important.

Another consideration is possible antique status of the gun. We would need pictures, and a serial number (usually on butt of revolver or sometimes on the left grip frame, under the grip). You would have to check NJs laws for antique guns.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:02 AM   #6
RUT

My bet is on an old Iver Johnson or H&R.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:05 AM   #7
zxcvbob

IANAL, but the executor of the estate can hold it for you until you are 21, then you can just go get it. (you *might* can inherit it at 18, I don't know) This is a special case that does not have to go through a FFL transfer. I don't know anything about NJ law, that's the federal law.

If he gifts it to you while he's still alive, you will have to transfer thru a New Jersey FFL.
Old January 8, 2013, 04:45 PM   #8
zbones6

Thanks for all the info guys, it is a breaktop revolver, and it may inded be a H&R. I will try to post some pictures if I can. Be patient though
Old January 8, 2013, 05:09 PM   #9
alex0535

I would say just get it registered under your father until your of age, and then get yourself the permit for it.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:01 PM   #10
Deaf Smith

Pennsylvanian is not far off.

Have your father move it to a lock-box in Philadelphia Penn. and get it once you are 21.

Deaf
Old January 8, 2013, 10:20 PM   #11
Shotgun693

Quote:
Have your father move it to a lock-box in Philadelphia Penn. and get it once you are 21.
Yep, for just a little money you can leave it in a Safe Deposit Box for a few years.
Old January 10, 2013, 12:59 PM   #12
zbones6

Hey guys, just an update. I was at my Poppop's today and got a pic of the revolver. I only had my phone, so its just the whole gun and the serial number, no stamps. On top of the gun behind the front sight is stamped "HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO.
WORCESTER, MASSACHUSETTS. U.S.A

On the side of the barrel is stamped H. & R. "AUTOMATIC"

And on the butt is the serial number 512574
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H&R.jpg (147.2 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg h&r number.jpg (149.0 KB, 92 views)
Old January 10, 2013, 01:01 PM   #13
RUT

I knew it!! I've got one just like it only it's an Iver Johnson. What's interesting is that they were manufactured within ~30 miles of each other.

Last edited by RUT; January 10, 2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old January 10, 2013, 05:33 PM   #14
Winchester_73

Nice gun. They are not too often found that nice. IIRC, gun was actually built on a 38 size frame for whatever reason. I had one just like that. Between the design and SN, I highly doubt it is an antique as I think that model came out right around the turn of the century, and it has a 6 digit SN. The gun looks crisp, but many of these were made and the values are not very high. Its worth around $150 give or take a few, jsyk. It probably works fine, but don't assume that it does aka check it before shooting it.
Old January 11, 2013, 07:10 PM   #15
zbones6

Already shot it, oops
Old January 11, 2013, 07:56 PM   #16
publius

Wow, great condition!
Old January 12, 2013, 08:58 AM   #17
Baba Louie

Quote:
Already shot it, oops
Hoard that Ammo until you do procure another box or three as it's typically scarce as hens teeth not your average run o the mill ammo found on every gunshop ammo shelf across the land, for some reason.

Nice to see and hold a small piece of family history.

Can you imagine buying that little guy and feeling pretty secure, somewhat safer from and prepared for the worlds idiocy around you? "I just want to be able shoot the bad guy... you know, just a little. Not too much. And gosh darn it, I want my pistol looking pretty when I do it too."

Nice zbones. Very nice.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old January 12, 2013, 09:28 AM   #18
bds32

Federal law prohibits the transfer of the handgun to you unless it is for certain reasons. There is a provision for inheritance.

Check out: http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-i-5300-2.pdf

Check your NJ laws but I'm sure there is a trustworthy adult of 21 years age who could hold it for you until you are of age. If your Poppop lives in a different state it would have to be transferred legally to someone of age in your state.

Last edited by bds32; January 12, 2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old January 17, 2013, 07:44 PM   #19
EdInk

I don't know the laws in your area.

However, in most states your grandfather can literally just hand you a firearm and you can accept it. No paperwork or anything else is required because it is a gift to a family member.
Old January 17, 2013, 07:54 PM   #20
zxcvbob

That would work if they lived in the same state. (or before 1968 )
Old January 19, 2013, 11:52 PM   #21
zbones6

We do live in the same state. Heck, I walk to his house. So you're telling me he can just give it to me? My uncle gave me a rifle, but it works that way with pistols? I wouldnt think NJ would be that loose.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:17 AM   #22
m&p45acp10+1

I would suggest checking the state laws first. NJ is not a very nice state as far as gun transfers go.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:48 AM   #23
Willie Sutton

Few misconceptions here, starting with this:

I'm not sure about other places, but in NJ you have to be 21 and have a pistol permit for every pistol you buy.

You can obtain a pistol permit to purchase a handgun in NJ at age 18. You can NOT use it at a federally licensed dealer to purchase a handgun as there is a FEDERAL law regarding DEALER SALES to individuals under 21. You can use the permit to purchase from an individual though.

IF he wants to pass it to you while he is alive, you will need to obtain a permit. NJ law does not recognize any differences in transfers within a family v/s from a third party.

If you INHERIT it when he passes on, you do not need a permit, nor do you need to register it. It's yours IF he puts it into his will, or writes a short note setting forth the fact that he is passing it on to you. You do NOT need to then go register it. There is NO MANDATORY HANDGUN REGISTRATION in New Jersey. TRANSFERS are recorded, but if you get one some other way (out of state before you move in, inherit one, etc., etc) you do NOT need to register it.

If he gifts it to you while he's still alive, you will have to transfer thru a New Jersey FFL.

NO NO NO NO.... it's just a "face to face sale" and although it does need a permit to purchase be issued, there is NO FFL REQUIREMENT.

Almost EVERY reply above is wrong. This is due to the patchwork of laws that blankets the entire USA. It's also why asking for assitance on internet forums is fraught with peril. Read the Law yourself. Reading the law is easy to do... go onto NJ's website and dig in a bit.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; January 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:23 PM   #24
zbones6

Thank you very much Willie, i do plan on calling the NJ state police and asking them, just to make sure i am completely within the law. I do not plan on registering it, so anyway i could legally come into possession of it without registering it would be optimum.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:35 PM   #25
Ricklin

Don't expect to get a correct answer from the local LE either. I would make a point to look up the information yourself, it will be safer and more accurate that way.
No offense intended to LE, but the fine details of firearms transfers are more the realm of judges, and those Attys. who focus on firearms.
Follow Willie's advice above.