The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 4, 2013, 08:11 AM   #1
Steve242002

class A felony as a 16 year old

Hi everybody, this is my first post on this site but everything i have read seems to be pretty accurate. So my question is this, i was charged with a class A felony as a 16 year old boy. It was a plea bargained sex offense that i finally had cleared in may of 2012, I'm now 36, so it's been a long time since i was charged. Since the courts finally decided that there was enough evidence to clear me as a sex offender, such as Polygraphs that i have subsequently passed, and witnesses. Can in Washington state, i still own a fire arm, or can i obtain a cwp? Any advise would be great, thanks.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

It doesn't matter what you were charged with, what matters is convictions. If you plea bargained to something, that would be a conviction.

What charge were you convicted of, and what is the longest possible sentence for that charge? (Not the length of your sentence -- the longest you could have received.)
Old January 4, 2013, 08:42 AM   #3
jason_iowa

Was it expunged? If not you probably need to go through that process. You can go to your local sheriff explain it the issue to him and see if he will run ya and see if you are eligible.
Old January 4, 2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

As others have mentioned, a felony conviction is a lifetime bar to firearms ownership unless you can get it expunged or pardoned.

This is a serious matter, with life-altering consequences if you follow the wrong advice. I cannot express the need for you to get guidance from a competent lawyer enough. Despite a wealth of legal experience and knowledge on this forum, we can't offer legal advice.
Closed Thread