The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 3, 2008, 08:32 AM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Care for a challenging hunt?

If you want to test your skills come the end of february I can try to get you out into the NW Florida Bottoms, bayheads and thickets for a hog? I am not a pro guide but these places are where we run dogs. You will be walked with to point out sign and from there you are off on your own to implement your own skills. Junior and/or I will be there for advise if you ask. This is a NO CHARGE OFFER. This is not fenced or intentionally stocked land. Simply the properties where we run dogs to remove feral swine. If you want to give it a try lemme know. There is NO GUARANTEE you will get off a shot but I assure you these places have resident populations on them.
Think about...
Brent
Old November 3, 2008, 09:03 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Back when Rob Pincus of the Valhalla school was a moderator in TFL's early years, he went on a hog hunt in Texas. Dogs and knife. IIRC, about 150 pounds of success.

Some of the folks around Blountstown use rough-cut heavy lumber (3x8s, e.g.) and build pens about 8' x 6'. A little one-way flap door much like a doggie-door at a house. When they want to collect some eating-size shoats, they just set the door with a trigger, put some ears of corn in the pen, and wait for supper to show up.
Old November 3, 2008, 09:32 AM   #3
fisherman66

What are out of state licenses running? Mighty kind offer and a style of hunt I'd enjoy. Unfortunately FL is a very long way away, otherwise I'd take you up on even a trip to the range. I'm sure you'll get a taker. Hopefully a greenhorn that will appreciate the effort and energy that goes into making memories with friends will be a taker.

Last edited by fisherman66; November 3, 2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old November 3, 2008, 10:02 AM   #4
fisherman66

No offense to the shooting/hunting community, but it's filled with people. I might consider drawing up a liability release.
Old November 3, 2008, 04:36 PM   #5
bclark1

This sounds like a blast - thanks so much for the offer. I'm expecting to be a bit tight on cash for travel this spring, but who knows - I would certainly be interested in a rain check if not now. It's very generous of you to extend this offer to the hunters here.
Old November 3, 2008, 06:47 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am not sure right this moment what the out of state permit will cost but the hunt opportunity I am offering will not require one. On private land for feral hog no license is required. You will be "assisting" the land owner with nuisance livestock removal. You will have a permission slip for the dates of hunting.
Brent
Old November 3, 2008, 07:29 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Fisherman, I have liability release forms to release the land owner from liability.
If the person cares to... the offer extends to a hog doggin' NO GUNS hunt as well.
Brent
Old November 3, 2008, 08:23 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

bclark, This offer is, at this time, an open ended invitation. It is quite limited and I will have spoken to those interested in advance. The main intention for my offer to to give a few folks the opportunity to do more than be lead by the hand like a kid to a bait feeder to shoot a critter. I will only be there to protect the land owner's interests and make sure you find your way out okay. Only if asked will I offer much advise. If you want to challenge yourself to spot, stalk and hunt your quarry then this may be up your alley. Truly a challenging hunt can be expected. Expect this offer to continue until about the end of August or so.
Brent
Old November 6, 2008, 04:14 PM   #9
Rob Pincus

Those were the good 'ol days, Art, back when I had free time!

I was actually just showing the wife a video from a Florida SPear/Knife Hog hunt last week.... its been years since I've done it, but I highly recommend it!
Old November 7, 2008, 11:24 PM   #10
sc928porsche

Want a tough hunt? California Sierras, public lands, no guide, and abide by all the rules.
Old November 8, 2008, 07:58 AM   #11
shortwave

hogdogs, I would assume this invite is especially open to all that kinda tried to beat you up on an earlier thread about your hunting tactics and the amount of hogs you shoot that don`t understand the devastation these hogs are causing. Thanks for the hospitality and going the extra mile for your fellow hunters.
Old November 8, 2008, 08:45 AM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

It is open for those that want to go after a hog with rifles whether or not they agree with dog hunting. I would also like to introduce any interested to using the dogs but do not in any way require it. On the rifle hunt I can really sit back and let the hunter use his own skills and technique. On a dog hunt I will ask what level of participation would like to COMMIT to and what they think they can handle. From standing there watching on up to trying to tip the hog to tying or sticking the hog. If they want the pork they can have that too!
Just trying to share what we have available to those that may never have gotten first hand hog hunting under their belt or just those that miss it from years back.
Brent
P.S. By rifle I mean rifle or shotgun slug...

Last edited by hogdogs; November 8, 2008 at 09:04 AM. Reason: added P.S.
Old November 8, 2008, 11:14 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Rob, the problem with honest employment is that it tends to interfere with life's important activities--like hunting and fishing. (An obvious solution is to choose wealthy parents. )

Brent, I might take you up on that deal, if I can do more sitting than walking. My body keeps trying to quit on me. I put in three hours on the road grader, yesterday, and I'll be grumping for the next several days.

Art
Old November 8, 2008, 11:23 AM   #14
fisherman66

I'd like to request a photo journal of the hunt.
Old November 16, 2008, 10:20 PM   #15
Hawkeye_FH

A buddy of mine and i are interested. I have wanted to hunt some pigs for several years. What kind of dates are we looking at?
Old November 16, 2008, 10:30 PM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Basically deer season ends the middle of February. Need to wait until after that so you can't be accused of hunting "game" as you do not need alicense for hogs. Also many of the landowners hunt deer so we are limited for doggin' and they wouldn't allow hog shooting then either. Spring turkey is 3-21 to 4-26 so a couple spots will be off limits to us at that time. Otherwise it is not limited. Just plan your time and let me know asap so I can have it approved well in advance and permission/waiver slips awaiting.
What type of firearms are you considering? Slugs and short overall length carbine rifles will be best for the dense cover you will be in. This isn't a tree stand type affair as the hogs are not that careless in their routes...
Brent
Old November 16, 2008, 10:58 PM   #17
Swampghost

hogdogs, I can't tell you how much I'd like to get up there and meet you! I'm not big on the 'dog' aspect, prefer to stalk. When the money gets better, I'm on the way.

Funny thing down here (Okeechobee/Indiantown), everybody complains about hogs and when you volunteer to help then they want to charge you. Same with the coyote's but I'm not shooting something that I can't eat.
Old November 16, 2008, 11:07 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Swamp, I would like to have you up too. The hunt I offer is mainly for the shooters and in that I won't have my dogs in the woods. If someone would like to take in a Hog dog (no guns) hunt I will accommodate. My dogs are not prepared to bay for a shooter. Those dogs know to keep a different type bay. Mine would easily jump in front of a bullet...
Brent
Old November 17, 2008, 12:49 AM   #19
Hawkeye_FH

I was thinking about a marlin 336 in 30-30 and my buddy's dad has a nice lil pump ,in 308 i believe, that was used to take a black bear in Michigan last year that i think would make a nice hog gun. I am definitely enticed by the stalking factor. Isn't that easy to do on deer here but i have managed it once, and it was a blast.

Last edited by Hawkeye_FH; November 17, 2008 at 01:48 AM.
Old November 20, 2008, 09:35 AM   #20
yoyo4110

when and where

hey there hogdogs that sounds like fun and with my work sced i might be able to pull it off. please send some more info about the dates and times and legal weapons i love muzzel loaders myself but will use what ever is mandatory you can contact me with my email if you want
[email protected]
Old November 20, 2008, 11:18 AM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Legal weapons... your choice. I would tend to steer someone from a long firearm that will be hard to get on target with out making a bunch of noise in te thick stuff. My choice is the typical lever action rifle and a shotgun with 18-20 maybe 22 inch barrel. Dates are not very limited. After deer season ends in mid february and not during spring turkey are best. 3-21 to 4-26 is turkey season. Pretty much any other times is fine.
Brent
Old November 22, 2008, 11:09 PM   #22
Hawkeye_FH

Hey hogdogs me and my buddy are good to go. we have our spring break form 3-7 to 3-14. just let us know what we need to do (liciences, tags, papers, ect) to get ready. how uch time should we spend there, i dont want to take up too much time so other can enjoy your gracious offer. also what is your location and hotels in the area? feel free to pm me or email me at [email protected].

Thanks a ton!
Old November 23, 2008, 12:27 AM   #23
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

No permits or tags... I will have a waiver for each to sign to release landowner and ourselves as well as permission for ya'll. You will be assisting the landowner to rid of feral hogs. So it is not hunting as hogs are not game on private property. 2 full days rested would do ya'll best to have as much time to be fruitful. We can get in a night time dog run as well if'n ya'll are up to it. Until further notice no one has any claim to time near your request. We are less than an hour from the white sands of Destin fla. And under 1.5 hours from Panama City Beach just to let you know.

Brent
Old November 23, 2008, 10:44 AM   #24
treg

Sure wish I could bust out'a here for a while!