The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 9, 2002, 09:34 PM   #1
Airborne

Sauer 90... I'm searching for info on?

I saw for the first time a Sauer 90 in a gunshop today and was very intrigued. It had an interesting integral scope mounting arrangement; two tall pillars, one with a square hole (f) while the back mount had an unusual two roller locking type rig.

The front sling swivel was banded on the barrel just forward of the stock, giving it a really distinctive look. Workmanship was extremely well executed on both the metal and the stock, and the chambering was .25-06 Rem.

The thing that really did it for me though was the way it fit me... perfectly, which is a dangerous thing financially when a gun is so nice in so many other ways. Lucky for my marriage it was in a caliber I don't have much interest in, or I might have left with it.

Having said all that, can anyone tell me the history of this rifle, such as when it might have been made, typical accuracy, is it a worthwhile rifle to invest in, etc.

I did a search here and came up with nothing... the Sig site doesn't list it. If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Scott
Old January 10, 2002, 01:06 PM   #2
Roman Knoll

Sauer don't make them any more which is a shame - much better rifle than their current 202 (IMO).

The scope bases you've seen was most likely German QDs "hook"mount . You hook forward ring into forward base and snap rear ring into the base with roller locks.

I amy have been a swing mount - insert forward foot in the hole in fore base with scope in 90 deg. to the barrel, swing the scope an snap rear ring in place.

Both systems are expensive stuff.

Roman
Old January 10, 2002, 11:27 PM   #3
Airborne

Roman,

It was looking to me as though the 90 was probably out of production. Not surprising considering it didn't seem to be a very common model even when it was being made. Too bad, but typical of the manufacturing climate these days to discontinue it. Everything is being cheapened up and "modularized" it seems, and I think it's a shame, especially when it happens with fine weapons.

The rifle I saw looked like a lot of hand work had gone into it, and I'm sure it was expensive to build. The workmanship really was something to behold.

Either way, it's no big deal. I now have a new (used) or (LNIB) gun to watch for now at shows, etc. so it's still a happy day...

Thanks for the reply!

Scott
Old April 13, 2008, 11:18 PM   #4
8by68

Sauer 90

Sauers are made in Eckernförde, Germany. Really old gun company, original from Suhl (the cradle of german sporting arms, resettled after WWII when Suhl went to the Russians.
90s are still available today although I think there is no north-american importer. SIG-arms only imports the military line.
Sauer is renowned for the precise workmanship, real smooth action. The action is special in that it locks with three lugs in the rear. Still very safe, comparable to a Mauser 98 (which belongs to the blaser group noadays and really has to build its reputation again after not so great guns in the 80's (M77)
They come in 4 grades, only the lowest has no jewelling on the bolt, main difference is the wood and engraving, technically they are all the same.
A 90 in 25-06 is a really nice deer gun or even a light varminter, good to carry. My S90 outshoots many heavy barrel guns at the range.
With the current exchange rate Sauers are a steal in the US, the European price for the lowest grade is around 2500 Euro(=4000USD)

I guess this thread is old ,but could not walk by it. I even registered just for this post.
Old October 11, 2009, 01:30 AM   #5
knivesandgear.com

I inherited a Sauer 90 30-06 from my dad a few years back. It is without question the most beautiful rifle I've ever seen. The bolt action is the smoothest I've seen.
These rifles are for me pure quality. The problem with it is it's so nice I've never fired it. I don't know if my dad ever fired it either, however there is a nice scope mounted on it too.

Anyway on Wikipedia it states that the Sauer 90's were discontinued in 2008.... too bad. What an amazing work of art.
Old March 4, 2013, 06:07 PM   #6
60DRB

Go ahead and shoot it. I bought one in 30.06 at a military Rod&Gun Shop in Germany back in 1988 for about $850.00. Best rifle I've ever seen/owned. Dozens of deer, two coyotes and a feral hog have fallen to it. The bolt is smooth as greased glass, and it is a true work of art. I feel lucky to own it.
Old March 4, 2013, 07:53 PM   #7
Rembrandt

Sauer 90 is the same as the Colt Sauer.....got one in 270, smoothest bolt action made.

Old March 6, 2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Husqvarna

Sauers are nice, probably some of the most price worthy rifles out there.

they are bringing out a new model now the 101, not with barrel exchange but with a cocking device.
Old March 10, 2013, 03:41 AM   #9
Grand_Complication

Sauer 90

Rembrandt,

Its a beautiful combination you've got. I Use the same combination, Sauer 90 and Swarovski scope.

But, as I am looking at the picture you had posted, it seems you had run into the same problem I did. I had to go to Apel EAW rings and mounts, as I had ran out of the tube length on my scope, where I could adjust eye relief.

Another option was to use Recknagel mounts.

What I like about the EAW and Recknagel rings and mounts is that you can adjust 95% of windage and elevation with the mount and fine tune with the scope. This leaves you the whole range on your scope. Also, your scope doesn't feel any stress of the mount, its enough that it feels stress of recoil...

Grand_Complication

P.S.: Mine had taken a number of deer (I don't like using it for deer, because 300 Win Mag tears them apart), several elk (love using it for elk), and 2 black bears...

Last edited by Grand_Complication; March 10, 2013 at 03:47 AM.