The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2008, 10:50 PM   #1
bhannah

Sierra vs Vmax

I am trying a new load for the 22-250
I was using 55 grain v max but I like the boat tail, so i switched to sierra 55gr hp/bt. Any one used these before? My main concern is with the flight of HP vs the balistic tip?
Old April 11, 2008, 11:03 PM   #2
rwilson452

I have used both and find the Sierra HPBT to be more accurate than the V-MAX. You might want to try the Sierra BlitzKing it is quite similar to the V-Max but in a BT configuration. the Sierra Blitz is the same as the v-max all can be had in 55 gr. I picked the BlitzKing for Woodchucks. very effective. not quite as accurate as the HPBT but with a better BC Not that much loss of accuracy. about .1MOA loss.

Quote:
Sierra vs Vmax
I am trying a new load for the 22-250
I was using 55 grain v max but I like the boat tail, so i switched to sierra 55gr hp/bt. Any one used these before? My main concern is with the flight of HP vs the balistic tip?
Old April 12, 2008, 10:46 AM   #3
castnblast

I use the Sierra Game Kings in a soft point. They are incredibly accurate in my 22-250 behind 33 gr. of Benchmark. I use these because my varmint gun often backs up as a deer, or hog gun as well. I use this round for everything. Also, because the round is hypersonic, the tail of the bullet has more impact on accuracy than the tip believe it or not. I find Sierra as a whole to be more consistant in weight and jacket thickness. If you need the bullet to blow up, go with the blitzkings. Their jacket is a bit thinner than the gamekings.
Old April 12, 2008, 11:03 AM   #4
bhannah

Thanks Guys
Old April 12, 2008, 11:26 PM   #5
imdarren

My 22-250 shoots the hollow points best. Each gun has its own indevidual bullet it likes best. I keep trying the V-Max, Blitzking, Nosler Bal Tip, and the Berger hollow point always comes up the winner.
I have learned to not fight it, just go with it.
My Berger HP's shoot sub 1/2" groups @ 100 yds, and the poly tips around 3/4" groups at 100 yds. I keep reminding myself that 3/4" groups at 100 yds is really good.

D