The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 11, 2012, 01:21 PM   #1
rajbcpa

Small RCBS Uniflow capacity?

...have one of these with a baffle that I plan to use for large cases in a progressive. The total capacity, however, is really small.

Do they sell larger clear green plastic inserts that will increase the capacity of the measure? It is hard to beleive they designed this one that way.
Old September 11, 2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I think the cylinder referred to is the metering cylinder in the drum of the measure, not the cylindrical powder hopper on top.

My Uniflow (older) came with two drums and a large enough hopper, like this one. One drum with small cylinder bore measures small pistol charges (small bore through the center) while the other (larger cylinder bore) is for larger charge capacity cases.

The hoppers do look smaller on the new small cylinder units. You could call RCBS and ask if the hopper for their Quick Change measure (the one they now cell that comes with more than one cylinder size) would fit your measure?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 11, 2012, 02:48 PM   #3
JR_Roosa

I think he means the hopper.

I have an older one that's even smaller than the current production and I feel your pain.

Mine will almost take the mouth of an IMR bottle where the hopper slides into the body of the measure. Might be able to jury rig a bigger hopper. Could also add a bottle to the top as a huge funnel.

I just dump in a little more every time it gets half empty.

J.
Old September 11, 2012, 03:20 PM   #4
GWS

You can buy all the "Quick Change" parts for a regular Uniflow directly from RCBS. That includes the 2 bigger hopper options the Quick Change has.

Midway sells all the Quick Change parts to convert a regular Uniflow....except for the hoppers. Go figure. You have to Go direct for them.

BTW a new Video from RCBS shows how dang easy it is to change hoppers. (This video is about 40 years late!) Once you get to the link, go down the column to video 13.(Remove and Replace a UPM Hopper)

Last edited by GWS; September 11, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old September 11, 2012, 03:44 PM   #5
rajbcpa

...yeh, yeh, ....the factory green plastic hopper is really too small for use as a large case measure.... holds less than 1lb comfortably...... for filling large cases, this depletes the reservour too quickly...

So I can buy a big one only directly from RCBS?

....funny ....my rock chucker press came with the Uniflow measure and I'm fairly certain that it had only a single "large" drum ...not really suitible for small cases....
Old September 11, 2012, 04:00 PM   #6
GWS

Quote:
So I can buy a big one only directly from RCBS?
Yes, so says RCBS.
Quote:
The Quick Change Powder Measure is a great powder measure for reloaders who reload a variety of different cartridges and hate having to reweigh charges every time they switch between calibers. Quick Change parts can be used to upgrade existing RCBS Uniflow powder measures to have the same features as the Quick Change Powder Measure.
Pretty sure they only make ONE casting. I have one as old as Uncle Nick's and a new one that came with my Pro 2000. Except for the cast markings they appear to be identical. Drums are interchangeable. Hint:If you were to buy a new Pro 2000 progressive the Uniflow comes with both drums.....just like my 40 year-old one did.

Do get the small drum.....and use it for everything you can fit in it. Smaller charges are more accurately thrown from the small drum. Same goes for your Hornady P.M. Think the two powder measure are similar? That's because Hornady's was licensed from RCBS. Then they came up with a really good case-activated linkage for their LnL progressive. RCBS then licensed that from Hornady. Who knows maybe the licenses canceled each other????

Last edited by GWS; September 11, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old September 11, 2012, 04:45 PM   #7
rajbcpa

The measure pictured above looks like it will hold 2lbs....????
Old September 11, 2012, 06:46 PM   #8
PA-Joe

What are you loading? One pound of powder will do over 100 rifle cases.
Old September 11, 2012, 06:56 PM   #9
rajbcpa

...one rifle I own is a 338 win mag.... these cases hold a lot of powder....

I have not calculated the amount of cases that I can load with a pound of powder for a 338 mag but I would be surprised if it was +100......

Maybe the Uniflow capacity is OK.... my Hornady L-N-L powder measure seems to hold more powder then a Uniflow and I am using it as my small case measure and it will load a ton of cases all day long without a refill...
Old September 12, 2012, 10:48 AM   #10
elkslayer4x5

rajbcpa said,
Quote:
...one rifle I own is a 338 win mag.... these cases hold a lot of powder....

I have not calculated the amount of cases that I can load with a pound of powder for a 338 mag but I would be surprised if it was +100......

The heaviest load shown on the Hodgdon Reloading Data Center is for 72 grs of IMR7828, for sure, you'll get less that 100 rounds loaded from a lb of powder, most loads average around 65 grs, netting you almost 108 rounds. Currently, I'm loading 200 gr SPR SP over 62.3 grs of IMR4895, and get a whole 112 rounds from a 1 lb can. Not like I want to sit down at a bench and fire all 112 rounds at the sitting either!
Old September 21, 2012, 12:14 PM   #11
warhwkbb

I ended up with two of the smaller hoppers. When loading large cases I didnt like filling the hopper so often. Here was my solution.

I ground a ring around the bottom of one hopper then fit a 1/8" "O" ring. Now I can add the second hopper to the first when doing large batches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0921021008.jpg (50.1 KB, 25 views)
Old September 22, 2012, 11:33 AM   #12
rajbcpa

I checked the capacity of the measure that came with my rockchucker SS press. The hopper is 6" in length and it holds less than 1/2 pound of powder.
Old October 4, 2012, 07:53 AM   #13
rox

Quote:
Pretty sure they only make ONE casting.
Not quite – I was planning to fit the 2lb hopper to one of my Competition/Uniflow measures, but after contacting RCBS I found out the following:

The casting for the 'Quick Change', 'Uniflow' and 'Competition' measures are the same size, so the hoppers can be mixed and swapped. The 'Quick Change High Capacity' measure has a larger casting, so the hopper is not compatible with the other measures.

The capacities of the measures are approximately as follows
  • Uniflow/Competition - 1/2 lb
  • Quick Change - 1 lb
  • Quick Change High Capacity - 2 lbs
Quick Change part numbers and prices (August 2012) to upgrade the capacity of a Uniflow or Competition measure to 1 lb:
  • 7109025 Quick Change Powder Hopper $ 7.95
  • 7189029 Quick Change Powder Hopper Cap $ 1.95
  • 90226 Quick Change Baffle $ 11.95

Manuals with part numbers and exploded diagrams:

Quick Change
Quick Change High Capacity
Uniflow
Competition