The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 29, 2015, 03:24 PM   #26
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks
Old May 4, 2015, 01:23 PM   #27
Magnum Wheel Man

Stock was ordered from Boyd's today... nutmeg laminate light weight Thumbhole sporter with 14.5" LOP nice recoil pad, fish scale checkering... once it gets here, will glass bed it to the action...

I got 500 rounds of PRVI ammo coming... should get a change to shoot it this weekend, so long as the neighbor of the other side of the line fence is done in the field by the weekend...
Old May 19, 2015, 03:51 PM   #28
Magnum Wheel Man

stock arrived from Boyd's yesterday... it's awesome... nicest looking lamonated stock I've seen from them yet...drop in fit is good, but it's going to my buddy's to see if we can improve it with some glass... also Boyd's uses a single blind cross bolt, & the Ruger stock uses 2 plain cross bolts... the back bolt goes through the plastic mag well / trigger gaurd... Boyd's doesn't use one... it's probably not needed, but after having a Remington 66 I'm not fond of plastic parts & am concered about possible warpage over the years, so we are looking at a different way of supporting the center of the plastic assembly...

I love how the fish scale checkering looks...

same day my new shorter magazines showed up... they are much better, teflon coated stainless, with over an inch shorter, & the base plate doesn't stick out like wings, as it does on the factory Ruger mag...

now after the stock gets bedded & the comp coated black, the only thing left is the bipod

will see if I can get a few pics tonight...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; May 20, 2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old May 20, 2015, 12:55 AM   #29
bamaranger

yours

Your rifle, you can do what you want with it.

Curious though, how much does it weigh after all your mods, loaded with full mag?
Old May 20, 2015, 06:00 AM   #30
Magnum Wheel Man

not really much weight differences couple ounces maybe... the Boyd's stock has a longer length of pull which is going to add weight, but the front end is lightened over the factory Ruger stock... the comp is marginally heavier than the factory flash hider, & the magazines are lighter than the factory metal ones...

here are a few pics as she gets closer to done...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ranch rifle with new stock.jpg (99.0 KB, 600 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger .308 rifle.new stock.jpg (89.3 KB, 27 views)
Old May 20, 2015, 06:04 AM   #31
Magnum Wheel Man

some stock detail...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger stock detail 1.jpg (215.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger stock detail 2.jpg (231.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger stock detail 3.jpg (176.3 KB, 28 views)
Old May 20, 2015, 06:07 AM   #32
Magnum Wheel Man

the Burris ARD... ( no scratches... just dust )... need to get some plug screws yet for the old forward mount scope base

differences between the Alpha mag & the factory Ruger mag... ( both mags hold 10 rounds )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burris ARD.jpg (207.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger mag differences.jpg (206.7 KB, 368 views)
Old May 20, 2015, 02:51 PM   #33
cw308

Very Nice Set up. Hope she shoots as good as she looks. Just remember, we can't always blame a bad shot on the rifle. I used Devcon liquid steel on my bedding job, it's rock solid.

Last edited by cw308; May 22, 2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old May 20, 2015, 03:28 PM   #34
Dave P

You prolly don't want to hear it, but I consider my Ruger GS rifle to be the worlds most expensive $300 bolt gun.

I got it so I can put a suppressor on it. And it is still very handy. But just very expensive and a sloppy bolt to boot.
Old May 20, 2015, 03:30 PM   #35
Magnum Wheel Man

I got mine used with one magazine of ammo through it, & then only paid twice as much as it was worth then
Old May 21, 2015, 10:20 AM   #36
Unlicensed Dremel

Looks real good, but here's my take on this. I'm as big a fan of anyone of aesthetics, probably bigger than average. But this is in essence a scout type (all purpose) rifle - AND it's already frankly, shall we say, non-aesthetic to most eyes, with the extended mag, flashhider, and protected front sight.

The rifle is just TOO HEAVY to fit the mold of a scout type rifle, so to me, replacing the heavy stock with another heavy (but pretty) stock makes no sense. If you're gonna spend that money and time, make it into the rifle it's supposed to be - a lightweight scout (or at least medium-light). Get a nice composite stock made from some combination of aramid fiber, fiberglass, kevlar, graphite, and aluminum chassis... look at B&C, MPI, McMillan, etc. The end product is no uglier than what you've already got (lipstick on pig principle), and actually more consistent with the lean mean utility rifle.

EDIT: Crap. I didn't see page 2, that you've finished it now - I was looking at the bottom of page 1 of the thread where it still had the old stock. Looks really beautiful now, notwithstanding aforesaid non-aesthetic features - maybe it DOES help to put lipstick on a pig so to speak if you put on enough of it (pig meaning looks, not functionality or quality of course).
Old May 21, 2015, 10:32 AM   #37
Magnum Wheel Man

everyone is intitled to their opinion... however, with what I've done, it's not much of a scout any more ( & that was never my intention )... I was actually liking it ( for the price I paid... $600.00 ) as a bolt action magazine fed 308... IMO, a true scout rifle should be machined for stripper clips if it has a forward mounted scope... but that's neither here nor there on this build...

as far as asthetics... I actually may remove the front sight, unless I decide to machine a spot on the stock, or add a small machined piece to the underside of the barrel, in front of the stock, to store the rear sight as a back up...

for that matter... I may even decide to replace the barrel with something 4" or so longer... ( would look nicer asthetically ) but we'll see how it shoots 1st... I'm actually liking the heavier weight shorter barrel... no matter what I may do, it will not get a feather weight barrel... it's pretty close to what I was wanting, & at $600.00 I think it was a good value for what I got... a Remington 700 converted to take magazines would cost more... & I'm thinking it's the perfect weight right now... after all, I'm building it for me... I'm a bigger guy with long arms, hence the extended length of pull... anything much lighter is only going to make it kick more...

I'm also not much of a composite stock fan... in fact I'm considering switching out the black stocks off my 2 magnum action Browning Stainless Stalkers

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; May 21, 2015 at 10:38 AM.