The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 3, 2012, 10:06 AM   #1
stormin1155

CCW in private colleges - Iowa

I live in Iowa, and teach at a private college. College policy states no weapons. Iowa CC law prohibits carrying in schools, but the definition of "school" is vague. I understand it applies to all public schools, but not sure if it applies to private, for-profit colleges.

I know that if I were discovered with a weapon on campus I'd lose my job. But would it be an offense where I could lose my CCW rights?
Old November 3, 2012, 11:40 AM   #2
1-DAB

you are on private property, they can make whatever rule they like.

i'm gonna guess that if it's an accredited college, then it counts as a school.

but main point is the first one. check your CCW laws about carrying where it is not permitted.
Old November 3, 2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

You also need to check that even if legal, the private school can fire you.

States have various laws about such.
Old November 3, 2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Chaz88

I have looked into this a little before.

Simpson college is private property. It is not posted at any entrance to any building that I have been through on campus. To the letter of Iowa law they would have to post it then catch you and inform you that it is not allowed. Then they would have a case if they ever caught you again.

The problem is that students and faculty are required to know and abide by faculty contracts and the student handbook rules. So legally they might not have a case but they could fire faculty and expel students.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.

Last edited by Tom Servo; November 4, 2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Removed off-topic material
Old November 4, 2012, 05:00 PM   #5
stormin1155

I KNOW that if I were ever discovered carrying on campus I would be fired. That's not my question. My question has to do with state law... The law is pretty clear about all public schools and K-12 public or private, but I can't find much on private colleges. My question is if somehow my gun falls out of my briefcase and my boss sees it could I be charged with a crime and lose my CCW permit? I haven't drawn on anybody, threatened anyone, or broken any other laws.

In Iowa, private companies no weapons postings don't carry any legal weight. For instance, I carry inside a business, and somehow am discovered. The business can ask me to leave, but they can't press any charges because I haven't broken any laws.... just their own rules. Does that apply to private colleges? I've looked at all the Iowa Code and really haven't found my answer.
Old November 4, 2012, 08:07 PM   #6
hermannr

There is no legal prohibition in Iowa code against carry in a university, public or private...the "school" weapons free zone" garbage is applys only to K-12
Old November 5, 2012, 08:04 AM   #7
Chaz88

Quote:
In Iowa, private companies no weapons postings don't carry any legal weight. For instance, I carry inside a business, and somehow am discovered. The business can ask me to leave, but they can't press any charges because I haven't broken any laws.... just their own rules. Does that apply to private colleges?
From my research this is the same for private colleges. But, as I understand it, once the private business points out that you are breaking their rules they can bring charges if you do it again. As I understand it, public colleges are prohibited places but private are not covered under the law just the rules of the institution.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 5, 2012, 05:31 PM   #8
stormin1155

Chaz and Herman, you are correct. I asked they guy I took my CCW class from, and here is his answer.

Iowa law , allows a school to make it's own policy about guns being on school grounds. But you would not be arrested if you had a gun, all they could do is tell you to leave. I hope this helps. Thanks, Randy

Thanks guys!
Old November 5, 2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Chaz88

Randy should know. I get a lot of information from him about what is changing or being proposed to change with Iowa gun law. He is also very active in pressing the legislature for better gun and hunting laws.