The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 12, 2000, 10:00 AM   #1
posigian

I am a "newbie wan-a-bie" shopping for reloading equipment. I am a bit confused!

The RCBS line of presses, what is the differance between the Rock Chucker, Special 5, and the Partner?

------------------
Posigian
[email protected]
I AM THE NRA

[This message has been edited by posigian (edited June 12, 2000).]
Old June 12, 2000, 11:06 AM   #2
swifter...

posigian,
I don't know about the "Special 5", but the Rockchucker is RCBS's heavy duty press. and a very good choice for use in general. The Partner is their light-duty entry-level press, and gets my vote for the ONLY good inexpensive press available. I own both, and use both regularly. You won't go wrong with RCBS in general.
swifter...

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...

Old June 12, 2000, 03:22 PM   #3
Paul B.

Posigian. According to the Huntington 2000 catalog, the RCBS Reloaders Special-5 press will not only load regular cartridges, but can be set up to load shotgun shells as well.
Sound like a "Jack of all trades, master of none", to me, but not have seen or used one, I'll withold judgement.
Paul B.
Old June 12, 2000, 09:28 PM   #4
Kenneth L. Walters

All RCBS stuff has a life time guarantee. That said, and assuming you are willing to use it, there is very little between these three except price. Why such a spread? Because many believe that bigger (and more expensive) is better.

The Rock Chucker can do one thing that the others can not. It has a removable threaded screw in the top that can be removed and replaced with one that will handles REALLY big diameter dies, like those used on the 50 BMG. Oddly enough, however, some really long cartridges are too long to fit. For that you'd need another special press, the single station version of their Ammo-Master. Don't know if that is still available.

I've used almost all the of RCBS presses at one time or another. I've got a Rock Chucker because I have a few really large diameter dies. For most stuff, however, I use the Partner. Excellent little machine.

Old June 13, 2000, 09:06 AM   #5
posigian

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kenneth L. Walters:
The Rock Chucker can do one thing that the others can not. It has a removable threaded screw in the top that can be removed and replaced with one that will handles REALLY big diameter dies, like those used on the 50 BMG. Oddly enough, however, some really long cartridges are too long to fit. For that you'd need another special press, the single station version of their Ammo-Master. Don't know if that is still available.
[/quote]

Kenneth...or anyone else then! I plan to reload 44 mag, 357/38 sp, 30.06, and some time in the future a 45 and/or 223. Not sure which one yet!

Anyway, Does this mean I can look at the special or partner press just to save money and will these presses "get the job done?"

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply!

Posigian

Old June 13, 2000, 09:16 AM   #6
Hutch

I have an RCBS "Junior", which is the previous version of the Partner. I have loaded .375H&H Mag on this press, without too much trouble. I dont THINK the Partner has quite as much mechanical advantage (leverage) as the RockChucker, but I wouldn't let that stop me. All the calibers you mention use 7/8" (thread diameter)dies. Unless you're going to load .50BMG or 20mm, I think the Partner would do fine. Enjoy your new hobby
Old June 14, 2000, 09:53 AM   #7
Kenneth L. Walters

For the cartridges you indicated the Partner will certainly do the job!
Old June 16, 2000, 09:46 PM   #8
BIGR

I think the Rock Chucker is the heavy duty press from RCBS.I have owned one over 10 years and it has been a real good press for me. Has lots of strength and is easy to operate....
Old June 17, 2000, 12:16 AM   #9
CCV

I have enjoyed my Rock Chucker for more than 25 years and it is still going strong. RCBS makes good "stuff".

If you can spring for a little more cash outlay on the front end, buy the RC. You won't be disappointed.
Old June 17, 2000, 12:46 AM   #10
trlmech

My Rockchucker is 20 years old and ditto no problems. The lifetime warranty isn't much of a strech for RCBS since you could run over it with a tank and not hurt it. I did e-mail them a while back cause I lost the primer catching tray in a move and wanted to buy a new one, it showed up a couple days later, no charge.
Old June 17, 2000, 02:31 AM   #11
Big Bunny

Posigian -I don't like the standard priming arm arrangement on my RCBS R/C press or the way that if it is not installed, some primers spew out onto the floor through its slot, avoiding the tray!. I use a folded buisiness card in the groove as a deflector and use a LEE Auto-prime instead, you can FEEL those little silver pills go in !
But as regards the press and RCBS...no worries - a truly great firm and buy ANY press from them and you will be pleased.

Best wishes for your new and absorbing hobby and a tip to the wise...buy the LYMAN 47th(or any other one ...or two even!) Reloading Manual before you start loading !

[This is false economy and potentially disasterous not to get a manual in my opinion and I did it the hard way.]

------------------
A thought from 'Big Bunny'...."The sword does not kill, it is a tool in the hands of the killer".... Seneca 'the younger' (circa AD 35)
Old June 18, 2000, 08:15 PM   #12
posigian

Thank You Everyone!

I have decided on the RCBS Rock Chucker! I'm sure its really nice having a progesive machine rocking out 400-600 rounds per hour. But I'm not sure I can or would be able to get out enough to shoot that much. YET! We will see? Big $$

I have heard a lot of good stories about RCBS's equipment line and there service to customer satisfaction. A good plus! All the "good" ones give you that level of service.

So all of it said, I cant wait to get started! Its going to be a while longer yet because we are moving and I start a new job all this week Send Help! So I want to make sure things settle down a bit before I get started and I am still working on the new bench (story for another time). So keep an eye out for my future questions as I get started.

OK then...its off to ebay in search of a deal

Thanks again people!

------------------
Posigian
[email protected]
I AM THE NRA