The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 19, 2013, 01:03 AM   #1
MissPistol

Ear protection

What do you like? I am a musician so I will be looking for a good set. Prices seem to be all over the map where db reduction goes. what else should I consider?
Old May 19, 2013, 01:16 AM   #2
BarryLee

I generally double up when I shoot meaning I wear foam plugs and ear muffs. I’ve been using some products from Howard Leight which seem pretty good. I know some folks like the electronic kind that allow lower decibel sounds to pass through while blocking sounds over a certain level, but never really tried them myself.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 19, 2013, 01:26 AM   #3
MarkDozier

passive- get the highest DB reduction you can

electronic - get the highest DB reduction you can with the fastest repsone time to cut the sounds. be prepared to spend money 150 or more for the better ones.
Old May 19, 2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

Usually silicone foam. I carry a pair in my pocket at all times. Sound is everywhere. Sometimes at a range I'll put muffs on also. Would like to have a pair of the electronic hearing aid/protectors but good ones are out of my budget.
Old May 19, 2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Nathan

I have the Pro Ears Pro Mag. They are active and work quite well. They seem to block sound to their rating. An additional benefit is plugs can be worn under them with relative ease by turning up the volume.

The problem is that this whole setup costs big money. Not sure it is even twice as good as going the passive route, but it is about 5 times as expensive!

Pro ears are good if you have to hear well at the range in a class as a student or instructer.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:18 AM   #6
Pahoo

BarryLee + 1

Quote:
I generally double up when I shoot meaning I wear foam plugs and ear muffs.
You will find that by experience, a lot ot shooters do this. I alway have the plugs with me and when I have to, add my Peltor Shotgun muffs. I also have a set of higher DB's that I seldom need. ...

If you jump to the highest DB reduction you can get, They get bigger and physically interfere with you cheek-weld. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 19, 2013, 11:05 AM   #7
BumbleBug

I have an electronic pair that cost $20. You can get 'em at Midway. They seem to work pretty well & I can't tell if they cut-off a micro-second too late or not. If anything, they probably cut-off too soon! For the price, you can add box of foam plugs in as extra protection.

FWIW....

...bug
Old May 19, 2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Waspinator

For earmuff style, I use Howard Leight Leightning L0F muffs. They are super slim and fold up for easy transport. The NRR rating is 23 on them. ot the best, but they are so slim the dont' (at least for me) interfere with my shotgun stock when performing a cheek weld.

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/leightning-l0f

If I want more protection, I also double up. We use these at work, and quite frankly, you can get away with just these and forgo the earmuff all together. These are single use plugs and have a NRR rating of 30. We use them every day in a VERY loud machine shop. I've used them at the range and they were great by themselves.

http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max-lite

Mostly I use the muffs because I get sick of buying the throwaway plugs, but either works great and together it blocks just about all out.
Old May 19, 2013, 09:43 PM   #9
LED

Miss
There is no such thing as too much hearing protection.

I also have a professional reason to guard my hearing. Double up, as some have said, no question about it. (I'd triple up if there was a good way)

Try different plugs. Don't worry about the stated ratings. They all work when properly fit. If not, they only partially occlude the ear canal, or tend to migrate out. I found the coarse, cylinder shaped plugs to work better, because they kink less and stay put better than the softer ones do.

Active noise suppression is a BIG plus. At the public ranges you will maintain situation awareness while being protected from loud cracks. You will also be able to communicate without taking your muffs off (as the guy next lane fires his howitzer) I use the MSA Sordin muffs. They work well and aren't too bulky. They are durable enough for the US military. Made in Sweden and $200+ in retail.

Last edited by LED; May 20, 2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:41 AM   #10
ClydeFrog

E-muffs, GI model, Howard Leight, ZIM....

In 2013, there are a few good choices. The best would be a custom set of polymer ear plugs from a gun show, gun shop or maybe a audiologist. I purchased my safety orange custom plugs(rated for 39db reduction) at a gun show in Richmond VA in the early 1990s. I still use them, .
You can find electronic or e-muffs that amplify sounds(range commands, talking) but will protect your hearing in a nano-second.
GI or military style plugs are handy & good as a spare or in a range bag, center console.
See www.surefire.com www.cabelas.com www.policehq.com www.uscav.com (the GI hearing plugs), www.nra.org (ZIM ear protection), www.natchezss.com www.midwayusa.com www.bassproshop.com www.galls.com .
The ZIM, Surefire & Howard Leight brands are very popular with armed professionals & match shooters.

ClydeFrog
Old May 20, 2013, 10:49 AM   #11
Jim243

Quote:
I know some folks like the electronic kind that allow lower decibel sounds to pass through while blocking sounds over a certain level, but never really tried them myself.
Yep, they work real well.

Jim
Old May 20, 2013, 11:27 AM   #12
weblance

Suppressor. Best ear protection money can buy... and fun too!
Old May 20, 2013, 11:43 AM   #13
Nathan

Quote:
I have an electronic pair that cost $20. You can get 'em at Midway. They seem to work pretty well & I can't tell if they cut-off a micro-second too late or not. If anything, they probably cut-off too soon! ....
That's not really how they work! Basically all sound is either compressed or clipped to safe levels. There is a time spec, but I thought it was the time between real sound and the time processed sound hits your ears. This is key since you are hearing so much of the real sound through the muffs. It sounds distorted when there is a lag.

"Compression" technology is not so good for lawn mowing and other lower intensity sounds. Lawnmower at 80 db is still more than I want to hear! So I wear plugs for that.