The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 31, 2013, 09:19 PM   #26
Sevens

Totally agree with your post, Winchester_73, and also specifically that the referenced post must have been entirely tongue-in-cheek.

I think it makes sense to note (as it seems to get LOST all the time) in that "price" or "value" can be looked at in a slew of ways.

People ask "what's it worth?" on a thread, and you almost need to scroll down the following list and choose before you can go forth with a number.
  • the price you would pay another 'regular guy' at a gun show, no tax, no forms, no shipping
  • the price after you add tax or shipping or the assistance of an FFL if required
  • the price you would expect or hope a gun store to offer you for it, understanding fully that the store is a "FOR PROFIT" business and does not exist simply to make your selling dreams come true (so many get downright offended that a dealer can't pay what you "believe" your gun is worth... if he DID, regularly, the joint would be boarded up in two months)
  • the price the same gun store would place on it when THEY have it and offer it for sale to their customers
  • the actual price they would allow themselves to come down to when a guy comes in to the shop and haggles on it, as our hobby/industry has made a common practice
  • the price a sporting goods retailer would sell at, that is non-negotiable and set by Corporate
  • the price one hobbyist gun guy might offer it to a buddy at, if the friend wanted to own it
  • the price that some folks would snag it at on the used market SPECIFICALLY in hopes of flipping it elsewhere for more money
  • a price you might submit for insurance coverage or a claim, which can be based on new MSRP, replacement of a devaluing asset or in less than NIB condition, etc etc
  • ____ feel free to insert more real-world scenarios, as they *do* exist

Pick just one handgun from your safe and play this game with it, you could easily come up with a -LOT- of numbers, some close, some not so close.
Old September 1, 2013, 08:43 AM   #27
jad0110

Winchester,

I went back and read warningshot's post and I see your point. Though I do chuckle when I see posts from people insisting that S&W Model 27s aren't worth more than $350 because that's what they paid for them in the mid '90s .
Old September 1, 2013, 08:06 PM   #28
Sevens

I was at a very large outdoor "event" today that spans four days every Labor Day weekend here near where I live. In the entire show, I saw -two- 586's, both were 6-inch guns. Both were priced decently (I thought) at $595.

There may have been other 586's, but I didn't see them.

I saw a grand total of ZERO 581s or 681s. Which I find to be about right. I rarely see them.

686's? Of all barrel lengths and engineering changes, I must have seen dozens.