The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2008, 12:24 PM   #26
haskelllee

Springfield XD(M) Accuracy Problems

I purchased a Springfield XD(M) two weeks ago, and have had very mixed results. The fourth round out of the pistol failed to feed (the round jammed as it entered the chamber). Other than that, it has functioned flawlessly.

My complaint with the pistol is that my 15-yard targets look like I shot them with buckshot! I’ve gone through six different types of ammo and over 600 rounds in three sessions, and my best target has about a 10 inch spread.

Now before you attribute this to “operator error”, I’ve been an avid shooter for thirty-three years. In those same shooting sessions I was able to get groups out of my Sig P229 and Glock Model 23 (both .40 caliber) that you could cover with the palm of your hand at the same distance.

I’ve tried shooting while standing, sitting and bracing against a pole while standing. I even had someone else who’s a pretty fair shot give it a try—all with the same results.

Otherwise, I really like the pistol. However, I really expect a handgun with a “match” barrel to be able to group a bit better than what I’ve seen so far.

Anyone else experiencing accuracy issues with their XD(M)?

Regards,

Haskell
Old September 6, 2008, 06:22 PM   #27
DWARREN123

I got a XDm a week back. I find I am much more accurate with it than I am with the Glock 23 or 27. I don't know if it is so much the match barrel or the trigger. I like the trigger and replaceable back strap, I don't need or like the loaded chamber indicator or striker cocked indicator. Over all I find mine to have run with no problems for 500 rounds of reloads and factory ammo. A little harder to conceal but I like it.

Last edited by DWARREN123; September 7, 2008 at 03:10 AM.
Old September 6, 2008, 07:43 PM   #28
OneClownDown

Quote:
Every XD Ive shot in .40 has jammed.
I certainly had that problem with my own XD 40 as well.
Old September 6, 2008, 07:52 PM   #29
Sevens

Quote:
My complaint with the pistol is that my 15-yard targets look like I shot them with buckshot! I’ve gone through six different types of ammo and over 600 rounds in three sessions, and my best target has about a 10 inch spread.

Now before you attribute this to “operator error”, I’ve been an avid shooter for thirty-three years. In those same shooting sessions I was able to get groups out of my Sig P229 and Glock Model 23 (both .40 caliber) that you could cover with the palm of your hand at the same distance.

I’ve tried shooting while standing, sitting and bracing against a pole while standing. I even had someone else who’s a pretty fair shot give it a try—all with the same results.
Summary-- 6 different kinds of ammo, been a handgun shooter for 33 years, tried shooting off a support AND also had other shooters try with this result.

You need to call Springfield and arrange to send this one back. I think you've done your part and it's time for them to do their part.
Old January 30, 2009, 07:01 PM   #30
vdannyxman

xdm40

I have been really looking into this gun xdm40. but i read very many mixed reviews. This may be the wrong place in thus forum , but i have a taurus pt945 i know it only has 8 rounds 10 with a different mag . i have about 1000 rounds through it and only one jam . user error not holding the gun tight . i can hit consistantly at 15 yards at about 1.5 inches .They say they are not the best in the worls but no problems at all, mag feeding or ftf etc. easy to to clean feels nice .I find it highly accurate some times through the same hole in the shot. Not bad . maybe i got a good one . but after reading about the xdm40 jams and mag ejection problems im rethinking trading this one in. In a self situation firing 16 rounds is crazy anyway. Just my post .
Old January 30, 2009, 07:31 PM   #31
applekev

i'll keep my glock, thank you.
Old January 30, 2009, 07:47 PM   #32
madmag

Quote:
My XD9 has been a superb handgun and has been 100% reliable.
So has mine.

Question for the XD40 owners. Is the chamber fully supported? I am thinking that with the .40 round it takes a little un-supported area in the chamber to allow for good functioning. We all know Glock does have an un-supported chamber, but this also helps for functioning....also helps for kabooms.
Old January 30, 2009, 11:25 PM   #33
BillCoe

HI guys: I want to thank you for the range reports. Good to see real dudes talking about real issues as opposed to a pre-tuned loaner given by the Mfg to a gun rag that of course ALWAYS works perfectly every time. I am on the periphery of being in the market for this in .45 ACP if and when they get it out this summer. Hopefully they can read this thread and fix this issue on the production line ASAP.

The occasional issue like these are not germain to Springfield. I have a Sig X-5 Tactical 9mm that has jammed on the 2nd bullet on every one of the 4 clips I have tried to shoot. I can't say why this is, but had I done a search, like I did AFTER the issue cropped up, I would have seen that during break in, it is not an uncommon issue. ...sadly...

So I appreciate the thread: thank you all who contributed something of substance about pressing the magazine release and not having the CLIP easily eject.
Old March 12, 2009, 09:37 PM   #34
Auto-X Fil

Yes, the chamber is fully supported.

I picked up an XDM in .40 a couple weeks ago. One of the first things I noticed was the extreme pressure required to drop a full mag - I almost couldn't do it with one hand!

I am one of those guys that has no problem yanking apart a gun before I ever shoot it an filing away, because I am an engineer with a thorough understanding of production tolerances, firearm function, metallurgy, and machine work. There's nothing sacred about a new gun, and I ripped right into this one - 5 minutes later I'd leveled the mag release and all was well. I didn't even change the angle, I just smoothed it out and polished it. Now it feels like every other gun I've owned - easy to operate when I need it, and hard to hit accidentally.

I also hit the trigger - a friend bought an XDM 9 at the same time as I got mine, and his trigger was a smooth 5lb while mine was a hefty 7.5-8lb! I have since grabbed the Springer sear, but before firing I put both sears in a makeshift jig and cut mine to match the profile of his, and then polished - voila, 5.5-6lb, and much smoother.

So far (500 rounds) it has given me zero reliability issues. Reloads, Blazer, WWB, Gold Dots - they all feed, fire and eject with aplomb. Aside from the mag release I had one break-in issue: the barrel didn't seem to mate well with the slide, as I was shooting two distinct 2-3" groups about 5" apart at 25yd (sandbags, I'm not an amazing shot.) Over the last 500 rounds, the upper-right group has slowly gone away, and now they all land in one nice tight knot.
Old March 12, 2009, 10:09 PM   #35
mssurrey

As I've mentioned on various posts, I just love my two tone XDM 9. Not one FTF or FTE - and that's using cheap ammo.

Very easy to field strip - in about 10 seconds with eyes closed. Capacity of mags is fantastic, I've had no mag issues at all.

It was shooting low and to the left. At first i thought it was me but then someone else shot it with the same results. I sent it back to SA and they tweaked it.

Now it shoots straight and true and I'm a very happy chappy.
Old March 12, 2009, 10:31 PM   #36
recon-2

Any reports on the 9mm version?
Old March 12, 2009, 11:45 PM   #37
Clevinger

Quote:
Any reports on the 9mm version?

It's awesome.

I kind of find it hard to believe that guys are supposedly getting all these jams with the .40, but whatever.

I've fired about 800 rounds through the 9mm XDM, and it's been flawless. That ammo was mostly 115 grain Winchester white box, but I've also fired 125, 135, and 147 grain hollow points of various brands through it as well. Like I said, it runs flawlessly.

I'm not as accurate with it as I am with the CZ 75 B I just bought, but it's very accurate and has very mild recoil. The grips are quite comfortable.

The magazines slide free without any problem, unlike the story in this thread.

Loading the magazines was really difficult without a speedloader the first three times, but after that I could load them easily without the speedloader.

I have a glock 19, XDM 9mm, and a CZ 75 B. This thread reads like some big hit on XD's, but the XDM I have has been awesome.
Old March 13, 2009, 05:05 AM   #38
VetteVert

I'm quite happy with my XDm9. Dad bought a .40 XDm and after we both shot it we both went and bought 9mm versions. 0 failures with any of them.

Also, every double stack semi-auto I've shot is more difficult to drop a full mag than an empty one. That being said, I've never had a problem dropping full mags one-handed. Trying not to sound like a complete ass, but maybe hit the gym a time or twenty?

VV
Old March 18, 2009, 11:00 PM   #39
martyj

get a plastic hammer

If you own an xdm youll need a rubber mallet or a plastic hammer for continue successfull feeding. They are jammers.
The best way to judge the action on a semiauto pistol is to load the magazine and run it back and forth by hand. If it is smooth and all feeds well you got a good setup. If it is like my xdm and feels like a square peg in round hole then you have croatian technology. Not to sure its a suvsidary of Norico.
Old March 18, 2009, 11:58 PM   #40
Clevinger

Quote:
If it is like my xdm and feels like a square peg in round hole then you have croatian technology. Not to sure its a suvsidary of Norico.
The XD's are quite sound, despite what you are implying.
Old March 19, 2009, 07:41 AM   #41
texagun

Quote:
If you own an xdm youll need a rubber mallet or a plastic hammer for continue successfull feeding. They are jammers.
The best way to judge the action on a semiauto pistol is to load the magazine and run it back and forth by hand. If it is smooth and all feeds well you got a good setup. If it is like my xdm and feels like a square peg in round hole then you have croatian technology. Not to sure its a suvsidary of Norico.
That's a very strange post for your first post on this forum. I don't own an XDM but I've never heard a complaint about them at the range where they are used daily.
Old March 19, 2009, 07:46 AM   #42
srt 10 jimbo

I took my cousin to Outdoor world where he picked up the 9mm springfield XDM. next week wee went to the range and shot mine and his gun, His 9mm was louder then my taurus pt 101 and being on a smaller frame It had more recoil.Other then that The gun worked fine. Oh and my taurus worked fine too for those of you who figured it would fly apart after the first 3 rounds.
Old August 6, 2009, 08:23 AM   #43
Shooter40

XDm 9mm

I know this threas is a little old, but hey, hear is to reviving history!

So, adding to this post that started out last year, I have discovered that I have the exact same problem with a full magazine release as Airforce2 on a brand new 9mm.

Not many people replied to the 9mm question, so I thought I would just post and let you know.

I'll give it a chance to work itself out and then I'll send it back to Springfield if I have still have issues.
Old August 6, 2009, 04:16 PM   #44
ReNtaPiG

Quote:
i'll keep my glock, thank you.
+1

I like the XD's and XDm's but I own Glock and S&W's not Springfield's
Old August 6, 2009, 06:56 PM   #45
Dr.Gun

I had the same problem as AirForce2 with my XDm .40 in regard to difficulty ejecting a partially loaded magazine. It took 2 hands to exert enough pressure to release the magazine, even with only 10 rounds in the mag.

When the magazine was empty it released fine. That is not normal or acceptable, or something the shooter should have to "work around". At the ASAA course I was taking, it was really impossible to perform a tactical reload with the XDm. No problem at all with my M&P or H&K P30.

It is a design flaw Springfield needs to correct, as I'm sure they will. I also found it harder to get on target in rapid fire than with any of my other guns...so I sold it.

I wanted to like the gun. It has a plethora of really well thought-out design features, but for me the sum was less than the parts, and overall it was not a gun that was right for me. That's the tricky thing about these intricate mechanical devices we shoot...finding the ones that work best for you.
Old August 6, 2009, 08:13 PM   #46
cougar gt-e

mine also was "stiff" almost unworkable with a full 16 in the mag. Has been settling down with use.

Had some buddies shoot it at an old aluminum fry pan hanging from a string. One buddy said, "I'm gonna shoot the string, like in the cowboy movies". He did. Twice. :barf:

Hate it when I'm the worst one with my gun!!

But, no failures of any sort in operation, only the full mag release needs some help by pushing up. Will wait until 1000 rounds are down to re-evaluate and think about sending back for a tune up.

jb
Old August 7, 2009, 08:53 AM   #47
DMBAMA

I have had my xdm40 for about 8 months now and it is my favorite firearm that i own.The mag release is a bit stiff but like others have said how often do you drop a full mag(although it should not be that stiff.).I have put around 900-1000 rounds of American Eagle,Blazer,Remmington,Federal and my reloads through it with no ftf or fte.My buddies can't wait to shoot it when we go to the range and it is very accurate.It is my nightstand gun also.I am going to get the xd 45 or i might wait and get the xdm 45 if it is ever released.
Old August 8, 2009, 08:01 AM   #48
N.H. Yankee

AirForce2, first of all hello from a retired Air Force member, all 3 of my sons went Air Force and one has 3 years to go before retirement. Anyway I have the XD(m) 40 and the XD 9mm subcompact and had the XD 40 duty. No problems at all with any as far as reliabilty, and accuracy even with reloads. I also shot in competition for years owning more guns than I care to mention.

The XD series has been a real success, my XD(m) 40 will shoot 2 inch 5 shot groups at 25 yards from a solid rest with reloads. I have even shot a couple 10 shot ragged hole groups. The XD sub 9mm will hold about a 2 inch 5 shot group at the same distance. The XD duty I owned was a 3 1/2 inch grouper at 25 yards, mine was one of the first ones to come stateside from Croatia. I was at a gunshow, never heard of the Springfield XD, but it looked good and the price was too good to pass on. I don't know if youv'e been there yet, but XDtalk.com is a great place for information on all XD pistol models..

I have found changing the grip panels can make a difference, I am surprised that your gun was jamming but no company has a 100% track record. Trying to fill a mag on one of these is a challenge, but so are many Hi-caps. I have tried the mag loader the gun comes with and while it will work with some patience, it is a real PITA. When the XD(m) comes out in 45acp I will be owning one.
Old February 3, 2013, 12:02 AM   #49
AirForce2

XDM .40 5.25 inch comp model

I got rid of the other xdm .40 that started this thread (good gun and the mag eject issues was resolved by manf). Only got rid of it at time cause wanted money for offset price of used fishing boat. Now have the springfield xdm .40 5.25 inch model comp. I polished the ramp and throat a little like most guns I do and it med speed hand cycled smooth as glass with live rounds even before I shot the first rounds. Had one of the windiest days at the range with sand & grit getting into and onto all of our AR's & pistols and the xdm ran fine, gritty but no issues. The full mag still releases extra hard but at least with 2 thumbs & a lot of pressure the mag came out, no issue released a mag w/15 rounds which tells me the mag is just to full with max rounds and compressed spring leaving zero room. Dang just make the handle & mag 1/8 inch longer and full mag reloads & mag eject would be so much better.

XDM .40 performed flawless which is more that I can say for the 2 new Ruger SR40 & SR40C that I kinda regret now. In 2 ranger trips Lots of failure to fires from both with my reloads that shot flawless from the xdm. When the dust & grit was blowing hard the rugers also failed to close/cycle. Don't shoot any small rifle federal primers in the SR40 unless you test the gun well. Shot thousands of small rifle primers over the years in .40's and never an issue till these rugers.

Remember a loose gun doesn't mean it will be inaccurate. Accuracy will come from the slide/barrel "same" lockup point for every shot. I had a .38 super racegun that rattled like a bag of change if you shook it but it was forgiving on function and shot a 3 inch group at 50 yds. Why, because the key gun parts locked up in the same exact spot right before I pulled the the trigger. Now laying down sideways a loose gun may shoot a little low if the slide/frame fit has to much sway & play.

Last edited by AirForce2; February 3, 2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:37 AM   #50
sserdlihc

Glad you got it rectified