The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 6, 2013, 07:28 AM   #1
uplandrules

Best Place To Sell a Sporting Shotgun

I am looking for the best avenue to sell a high end Beretta Silver Pigeon
that is a Sporting Edition shotgun. Can anyone give me some insight as to
where the place to start might be?
Old November 6, 2013, 08:13 AM   #2
BigD_in_FL

The bulletin boards at your local gun clubs would be the best and cheapest; high-end would depend on the model version. Beretta's 68X series high-end versions are the EELL
Next would be the classified sections on sites like Shotgunworld.com, Doublegunshop.com and similar sites that focus solely on shotgunning. After that, sites like this one might attract a little attention, but there really aren't many here who fancy target shotguns over the slug/HD variety
Old November 6, 2013, 11:56 AM   #3
BigJimP

Private / personal sales are always where you'll get the most money ....club bulletin boards, etc..../ but then you need to put up with all the "lookers" vs real buyers.../ guys wanting to shoot it...etc...

My 2nd choice would be to put it on consignment ...at a good local shop...if you trust the shop. The other option is to "Trade" it to a good local shop, on another gun, so you'll save the sales tax on the trade value...and get something else you like - shotgun, rifle, handgun, etc...

Sell it outright to a shop like Cabela's, etc....they'll usually give you about 60% of what they expect to sell it for...

Comes down to what is the "best" option for you - and least hassle...
-------------
"sporting" is just a marketing name ...it may denote some characteristics ...but a silver pigeon sporting is an upgraded field gun / with an angled "field comb" dimensional stock...so don't rule out selling it to upland bird hunters vs clay target shooters...but a club that has a 5 Stand, Sporting Clays operation or Skeet ...vs Trap only ...is where you'll find the most shooters interested in that gun ...dedicated Trap shooters are looking for a different spec on a shotgun....
Old November 6, 2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Doyle

If you put your location in your profile, maybe someone here will be local to you and want it.
Old November 6, 2013, 02:37 PM   #5
PetahW

I invariably get the best return, when selling a gun, by putting it up for auction on a very busy gun-only auction website, like www.gunbroker.com

BTW - Under Federal Law, it's permitted for any citizen to ship/mail a long gun anywhere in the USA, w/o going through an FFL holder on their end - as long as the receiver (not necessarily the buyer) holds an FFL.

Last edited by PetahW; November 6, 2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old November 6, 2013, 04:08 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

The only caveat to Petah's remarks is that some FFL's will not accept a gun from an individual - not illegal, but some have reservations about doing that, so make sure you alert the buyer to make sure his FFL will accept or you will need to add some extra cost (if you sell it and need to ship it interstate)
Old November 6, 2013, 06:34 PM   #7
Virginian

I'll second GunBroker. Know the law. If they want it shipped from an FFL, it is not required by Federal law, and it is on their nickel. I won't sell to Kalifornia. Not worth any hassel to me. BTW, as a former FFL holder for many years, this is just a gimmick for FFLs to make more money. The National Association of FFL holders used to promote it like crazy.
Old November 6, 2013, 08:43 PM   #8
uplandrules

I really appreciate all comments. I think maybe placing an add at a shooting range is the best avenue. I understand that you only get 50-70% of the guns actual value if you trade it or sell it to a gun store. They, of course, have to be able to mark it up and make some money on the Final Sale which I totally get.
Old November 7, 2013, 01:01 AM   #9
semi_problomatic

I'll trade you my H&R pardner for it. Even toss in some pdx1's and a few boxes of that military buck shot
Old November 7, 2013, 03:47 PM   #10
drcook

these are some other sites that people sell quality firearms on, they do get traffic on them. I put a couple below.

you do not have to take a chance on not getting what you want when you put it on an auction site, like

www.gunbroker.com.

when you do your listing, you set a reserve, the reserve is the minimum price you would take for the gun. don't forget there will be a fee IF the gun sells, none if it doesn't. Gunbroker makes money by selling Options, not just guns.

Want your gun to show up in the preferred section ? pay a fee. Want this ? pay a fee, want that pay a fee.

If you put your gun on a site and it sells only accept a Postal Money Order or cash of course. PMO's have a couple features that are hard to forge.

Hold one up to the light, you will see a Ben Franklin watermark. (there were some released that the water mark was all but non-existent, but those have probably been used up).

There is a security strip that weaves in and out of the paper.

They have a serial number on them that is linked to a post office database. Your bank (and you if you can find the link and access the site) can log on and verify the serial nbr AND the amount that it was written for. The post office does not allow credit cards to be used, only cash or debit cards. So the PMO is good and you don't have to wait for it to clear.

here are some other sites, I recommend you take a look at them and you will see what others are selling guns like the one you have for

http://www.gunsamerica.com/

http://www.gunsinternational.com/

Last edited by drcook; November 7, 2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old November 9, 2013, 04:15 AM   #11
Slugo

trapshooters.com
Old November 9, 2013, 04:42 AM   #12
gyvel

Quote:
I won't sell to Kalifornia.
To Virginian-in-LA: Watch out; Frank Ettin will give you a suspension for spelling California with a "K."
Old November 11, 2013, 05:31 AM   #13
Bill Akins

Quote:
PetahW wrote:
"BTW - Under Federal Law, it's permitted for any citizen to ship/mail a long gun anywhere in the USA, w/o going through an FFL holder on their end - as long as the receiver (not necessarily the buyer) holds an FFL."
PetahW is right. Another good thing to know if you happen to sell your shotgun to someone in your own state, is that under Federal law, a non FFL citizen can also mail any long gun (rifle or shotgun but NOT handgun), directly to another non FFL citizen in their own state without having to go through an FFL on either end. Many people are unaware of this. Of course that is federal law and state law can and does vary on this since state law can be more restrictive than federal law. So best to check your own state law on this before mailing a long gun directly to a non FFL in your own state.

The reason this is legal is because since it doesn't cross state lines, it doesn't come under the interstate commerce act and thus is not regulated by the Feds. So that makes sense.

But what DOESN'T make sense, is the reasoning that mailing a long gun to someone in your own state, doesn't cross state lines and thus doesn't come under the interstate commerce act and federal law, yet we can't likewise also mail handguns directly to non FFL citizens in our own state.

Just one more example of another contradictory federal law that is interpreted one way for long guns, but interpreted 180 degrees differently for handguns,....and allowed to stand by the Federal courts in spite of the fact that it violates and contradicts the same interstate commerce act that doesn't prohibit the mailing of long guns within the same state. But then no gun laws make any sense.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; November 11, 2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old November 11, 2013, 12:42 PM   #14
TomADC

Quote:
Virginian-in-LA: won't sell to Kalifornia. Not worth any hassel to me.
Not worth a comment. Too bad all shooters can't work together.
Old November 11, 2013, 01:20 PM   #15
BigD_in_FL

What hassle? Ship the gun to a FFL for transfer, shouldn't be any big deal as long as the gun is not prohibited