The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 29, 2010, 03:40 PM   #1
G. Freeman

Very tight 1911 slide. Need input.

Hi Guys,
I just received my 1911 Stainless Loaded back from Springfield. They installed a new barrel and tightened the slide/frame fit.

The slide/frame fit is now very tight. So tight that even without the barrel installed the slide goes in very tightly into the frame and if you point the gun down and shake it a little, the slide won't even budge. However, when the slide is pulled back past the point where the slide the frame meets at the rear, the slide moves normally.

With the recoil spring installed the slide cycles fine without any binding although it is tight.

Now here is my question, will the stainless gall when I shoot it? I figured I could shoot a couple hundred factory loads and it will loosen up a little anyways, or will shooting a gun in this state have the potential of damaging the slide/frame rails? Or would it be better to use some JB bore paste first before the first shooting?

I'd appreciate your input! Thanks in advance!
Old December 29, 2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Skadoosh

Doesn't Springfield function fire before returning their product?
Old December 29, 2010, 03:42 PM   #3
BILLtheDJguy

I thought that just made it as accurate as it could be?
Old December 29, 2010, 04:43 PM   #4
That'll Do

Keep the gun properly lubricated (not bone-dry, or dripping wet) with a quality lubricant and shoot a bunch of ammo through it like you planned. It should break everything in, and make the slide a little easier to move.

An acquaintance of mine bought a new Les Baer Premier II that was tight as could be–Les Baer told him that's the way it is supposed to be, and to shoot at least 500 rounds through the gun. If it still seemed too tight, then he was to contact them again.
Old December 29, 2010, 07:31 PM   #5
G. Freeman

Yes, the gun was testfired at the factory and showed an awesome group. However, that slide is tighter than my Baer. If it was a carbon steel slide, no biggie, but it's a stainless gun. Wondering if an overly tight stainless slide can cause damage by galling?
Old December 29, 2010, 07:36 PM   #6
drail

Galling of stainless was a problem in the early days of stainless gun production. We have much better alloys now in use and if you keep the rails lubed you should not have any problem with galling.
Old December 29, 2010, 11:00 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Wondering if an overly tight stainless slide can cause damage by galling?
Not on that gun. As That'll Do stated, keep it moderately lubricated with quality oil/greases and you'll be fine. When someone wants work done as you requested, it's common to need to fire several hundred rounds before it loosens up to a degree. I have nearly 1000 rounds in my Les Baer and it's still a bastard to field strip.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting