The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 28, 2010, 06:44 AM   #26
ZeroJunk

What's all this about? Everybody knows that forum shot deer are DRT.

I have to say that I have shot a lot of deer and a few elk, and it never occurred to me to study which way they turned. He may very well be right for all I know.
Old October 28, 2010, 07:50 AM   #27
Catfishman

Quote:
Catfish man I hope you are just fishing but, it is because they start to become dehydrated as they loose blood.
Yes massive blood loss causes thirst but does this thirst cause deer to wind up IN a body of water a few seconds after they are shot. Every deer I've pulled out of water ran less than 75 yards, most way less.
Could be instinc based on thirst, could be instinct based on slowing blood loss, or it's possible it's just random.
Old October 28, 2010, 08:21 AM   #28

Hmmm......the deer always turn right???

Could it be some sort of NASCAR protest within the deer community?

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old October 28, 2010, 08:42 AM   #29
Double Naught Spy

Deer only run right north of the equator.
South of the equator, they run left.
On the equator, they run in a straight line until moving either north or south of the equator and then they change direction accordingly

I believe that is in Homer Simpson's Guide to Hunting, 3rd edition, and they could not print it if it wasn't true!
Old October 28, 2010, 09:57 AM   #30
Uncle Buck

CatFishMan Wrote:
Quote:
As someone stated, deer and many other animals head to water when they are shot. Maybe it's because they bleed out more slowly in water?
I was always told the reason they go to water is because of the burning sensation they have from being shot.

I know from personal experience that it burns like heck to be grazed. When I was shot (Same leg, two years later!) it burnt, then shock set in, then I was P.O.ed at myself for being stupid enough to leave a leg exposed.
Old October 28, 2010, 10:07 AM   #31
spclPatrolGroup

You should ask your instructor if most deer he shoots run away. In my experiance most deer drop right where they were shot
Old October 28, 2010, 10:15 AM   #32
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I live in Central NY and I've seen plenty of NY deer get shot with both gun and bow. I can guarantee you that they do not "turn right". The vast majority of the time, they run in whatever direction they're facing, if they're not spooked before the shot. If they ARE worried/spooked before the shot then they will often whirl around and run back where they came.... toward "safe" ground where they've already been.

I can also guarantee you that, in this area, animals that are shot heading toward water is like saying that they head toward trees.

There's water everywhere. There's trees everywhere. You might as well say that they run toward air.

Surely, there are reasons why certain animals hit in certain places may head toward water but as a generic "Look in the direction of water if you can't find a blood trail.", it's a load of crap.

Look toward water, indeed. So.... is it the beaver pond to the east, the swamp to the west and north or the creek to the south? Oh look! It headed toward water.... water that's in every direction.
Old October 28, 2010, 10:46 AM   #33
YARDDOG(1)

Agree 100% on the Deer head to water when shot with a Bow or Gun ; )PS When Possible
Y/D
Old October 28, 2010, 11:25 AM   #34
rtpzwms

OK I'll take a shot at straightening this out for all. Here are the facts! Deer north of the Continental divide turn right. Turkeys east of the mason dixon line turn left. Pigs can't see the lines to they run to the shooter to introduce themselves. Bears kneel and pray, then eat everything around them. Coyote's circle the wagons. Ducks fly to the sun, then walk to Detroit. Moose will climb the nearest tree. I'm sure I forgot a few but I'm starting to crash now....
Old October 28, 2010, 11:26 AM   #35
davlandrum

Sorry about that experience. I am a Hunter Ed instructor here in Oregon and it is a challenging, volunteer, job. I am only able to help with 1-2 classes a year due to other time requirements in my life.

I would recommend that you find out who the Education coordinator is at the DEC and drop them an email, a letter, or call them. We make sure everyone fills out a feedback card at the end of our classes.

At the State level, it is a difficult job trying to manage a state-wide network of volunteers and it is impossible to do any type of systematic monitoring. Some of the "old guys" add their own "insights" that may or may not be correct, and the internet does not help. I have repeatedly told one of my co-instructors that a photo he routinely shows is a misrepresentation of an actual event, but it does not seem to sink in.

The bottom line is did the instructor cover the IMPORTANT material correctly? At the end of the class, did your son learn what he needed to learn? If the answer to that is yes, then just ignore the rest.

And every "always 100% rule" is only 100% until something different happens...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 28, 2010, 01:20 PM   #36
Legionnaire

the blur, I have to ask: Where was this course conducted?

I was a DEC-certified hunter safety instructor for many years. Some of the guys on the team I worked with were "old duffers," but they told good stories, and were good on the focus of the course: SAFETY. While we introduced newbies to a lot of what goes into a successful hunting experience, we were clear that "We don't teach how to hunt." Rather, we taught how to be safe while hunting.

As others have said, sounds like your instructor is a bit loose on this. I've taken a lot of deer in NY, and there's no predicting which way they'll move. If I had to hypothesize, I'd agree with Peetzakilla: they tend to continue on in the direction they were headed if they weren't already spooked. But I'd not give odds on a bet in any given situation.

And cotton?! We talked a LOT about how to dress: layers, avoid cotton, etc. I'm surprised, as this was covered in some of the materials we used.
Old October 28, 2010, 03:44 PM   #37
ELarsen

my uncles stories

My mom's brother was an avid hunter and story teller. I can't remember all the "fantastic" tales of bullet performance he used to tell, but he never told me the one about "turning right"...he must have forgotten that one.
Old October 28, 2010, 05:54 PM   #38
Doodlebugger45

I shot one several years ago that bucked like a rodeo bull after shot. He only bucked like that for a few jumps and then fell dead.

But one poster here told us about polar bears in Alaska. I forget which way they will not turn now. But you can ride up to the side of one of them on your snowmobile, confident that they will never turn in that direction. It sounded strange I know, but I have no reason to doubt that he knew what he was talking about. I guess I'll never know for sure until the next time I go polar bear hunting though.
Old October 28, 2010, 05:57 PM   #39
doofus47

To THEIR right or to YOUR right?
You'd better come to an agreement with the next deer you intend on shooting before you pull the trigger...

or, more simply, "nuts."
Old October 29, 2010, 07:04 AM   #40
camper4lyfe

2 of the 3 deer that i've shot have gone to the left after being shot. 1 even ran uphill.

And yes, I live in NY.
Old October 29, 2010, 09:08 AM   #41
700REM

LOLL, Funny thread.

I dont have a problem with deer going left or right- with 140gr Accubond they all go straight down !

On a serious note: if its wounded, deer will head to a area with water and will seek the thickest of cover - thats from 43 years of hunting.But I aint never seen one stop and decided which way to go - left or right,thats pretty damn funny.
Old October 29, 2010, 10:30 AM   #42
camper4lyfe

Here's my theory on shot deer running toward water:

It's agreed upon that deer will run downhill after being shot (path of least resistance). Which way does water run? Yup, downhill. Combine those two ideas, and you get: shot deer will run toward water.