The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 12, 2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Youngshooter

Deer Season Rapidly Approaching

I'm starting this thread, just to see what all of you guys are doing to prepare for the long awaited deer season. I know, I know its only early July, but who am I kidding? I can hardly wait and I'm sure y'all are ready for it too. Open it up, what gun/bow, stand/blind types, locations, trail cam excitement, etc. Can't wait to see what y'all are workin with.

Personally, I got off lucky this year with a friend asking if I wanted to help out with their doe surplus they have on their land, so food plots are on him!

As for stand, they have a good one sitting 10-12 feet over an oat field I like to sit in post-rut.

Central Texas is the location. More specifically just a family ranch, good water supplies and everything is relatively green considering last summer!

Last but certainly not least, the gun I hope to take some beauties with is Remington 700 in .270, nothing special but in the big oat field I feel comfortable making the long shot across it with this specific gun.

Anyways, have at it guys/gals! It will be here before you know it.
Old July 12, 2012, 06:20 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Antelope draw results: Unsuccessful
Deer draw results: Did not Apply (Deer hunting in Utah is a joke)
Elk draw results: Unsuccessful

So, in preparation for this year's hunts, I'm doing absolutely nothing.
I may pick up an over-the-counter "Any Bull" Elk tag, but the success rate this year is likely to be less than 5%. Between the difficult year for the animals, the wildfires running them ragged, and various hunting areas being closed due to fires, it will be a difficult and unpredictable year.
Old July 12, 2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Rifleman1776

Here in north-central Arkansas. I have deer on a daily basis in my yard. This year one is a very nice 8 point buck. That is rare. Usually the bucks stay back in the woods and don't show themselves. If he is still around opening day I could be tempted.
Old July 12, 2012, 07:01 PM   #4
huntinaz

I'm still waiting to hear about draw results. Will hopefully know if I get to hunt deer by the end of the month.

Quote:
Deer draw results: Did not Apply (Deer hunting in Utah is a joke)
I thought deer hunting in Utah was awesome... or is it more of a process complaint?
Old July 12, 2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Can't wait to see what y'all are workin with.
I try to keep the feeders full and make sure that the little spring-fed water hole keeps water. It actualy ran dry last year for the first time since 2005 when I bought the place and I trucked in water for the wildlife.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0025.JPG (132.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0206.JPG (150.2 KB, 52 views)
Old July 12, 2012, 10:21 PM   #6
nathaniel

As far as a deer rifle tag, the results arent in. I did however purchase a bow tag and am in the process of sighting in the bow after getting it restrung. I cants set up anything until after the seasons been open for a month because I hunt in a campground. I might start off hunting my public land spot from last year then switch to the campground. I havent decided yet. Im kinda a fly by night kind of guy so I never really know what Im gonna do.
Old July 12, 2012, 10:42 PM   #7
brmfan

Been following the early winter forecasts and it looks like we're headed into an El Niño cycle. Should bring cooler temps and improve the hunting this year. Although after not seeing squat I ended up taking my biggest 8-point and doe yet at the close of last season!
Hopefully my mojo will still be working during opening week!
Old July 12, 2012, 11:35 PM   #8
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Had 250 gal of LP pumped in my (500 gal) tank next to my cabin two days ago. So I won't freeze up during the two Fall hunting seasons I hunt when staying at my cabin. By the end of this month I'll have to make a run up North to the cabin and cut the grass around my Stands with a Jari mower plus put up two Magnum spin feeders in strategic locations again and three trail camera's to monitor what's moving around day and night. Then return here to cast some bullets for the rifle I intend to use this year. And get that sighted for the 100 yard mark before its required to be used. So there are a few chores needing to be done. I hope I answered your question properly OP.
P. Script: Almost forgot. Have to freshen the old salt lick too.
Old July 13, 2012, 01:02 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I thought deer hunting in Utah was awesome... or is it more of a process complaint?
To keep the thread from drifting, I'm going to send a PM. So, check your inbox.
Old July 13, 2012, 10:52 AM   #10
kraigwy

To keep from worrying about an early snow pushing the elk down I put in for WY area 1 instead of the Bighorns and was sucessful. Close to home, plenty of time before snows push the animals out of the area. Lots of critters.

Antelope was a gimmy, its a draw but lots of critters. I got the tag, then, recient fires in surounding area pushed more into my area.

Deer................I live in NE Wyoming, there are too many of those suckers anyway. Its a general tag, no draw needed.

My only prep will be some camping in my elk area before the season starts. I'll take my horse up there to get him use to the area. Finding good water and grass for the horse near signs.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 13, 2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Doyle

Down here, south zone archery starts July 28th. That's only 2 weeks away.
Old July 13, 2012, 11:57 AM   #12
Wyoredman

Kraig,

Is Area 1 on forest south of Sundance? I've been turkey hunting in that area, but never seen any elk. i bet they get some pretty good ones! Good luck!

As for myself, I drew a reduced price cow tag in 25, general season for bulls! I drew area 90 for deer finally! 90 has a 8% draw success, so I got lucky. I have been out a few times and spotted some pretty good (28") bucks, so hope they hang in the area until October!

As for antelope, no luck for me. Unsuccessfull! They cut the antelope tags way back here in Fremont Couunty!

We are taking the ATV's out to the deer area this weekend to look around a bit more, maybe find some snake and such!

Good hunting!
Old July 13, 2012, 12:11 PM   #13
rgrundy

Been shooting the Dart system with my bow to get ready for a high country tent camp archery hunt with my wife in Colorado. No the unit hasn't burned yet.
I won't draw a tag here in AZ so it'll be off to the Mexico border to hunt Coues Deer with a leftover tag. I don't understand why there are somany tags leftover after the draws down there??
Then there's a late rifle bull hunt there too. Practicing with the 300 win mag at long range just in case.
Good luck everyone.
Old July 13, 2012, 12:17 PM   #14
kraigwy

Elk area 1 is more east of Sundance. Starts where Hwy 85 crosses into SD.

I drive 85 all the time, it follows the west side of area 1, and yeap there are plenty of elk there. Most of the SD side is private, I just hope the elk don't live there during the season.

You should come to the NE part of the state for deer. Because of the mild winter and fires they are offering emergency doe tags. Not looking for does, if so I can shoot them from my back porch. I save the does on my property for the grandkids getting them started. Same with turkeys.

As to bows, ................I couldn't hit the gound with a bow. I'm make a dern poor indian.

Good luck on your hunting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; July 14, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old July 13, 2012, 08:29 PM   #15
Brotherbadger

Just finished spraying some gly on what will be a 1/4 acre radish plot by mid august. Heading back up(2 hr drive north) on monday to take a soil sample and make sure i don't need to drop a second round on the plants. First plot ever on this 80 acre land(i plan to put more in after the season, so far my fellow hunters haven't been very helpful Some folks just don't understand the sweat it takes to make a successful hunting area) Can't believe the season is right around the corner.
Old July 14, 2012, 05:30 AM   #16
BIG P

Still shooting coyotes & hogs so the deer will have a chance.
Old July 14, 2012, 06:22 PM   #17
bamaranger

tune up

Whitetails for me. My bow is at the shop for a new string and cable, so that I will not need to make a swap right before season. I'm contemplating a new bow sight of some type, one is very high dollar. Also, my arrows have been discontinued,so I'l need to buy and refletch at least two dozen arrows of some new type to start summer practice and have hunting shafts available later.

Found some interesting spots during gobbler season this spring and they are on the list for follow up visits during deer season. Acorns my be scarce, we've had a heck of a drought.

Oh yeah, my pal called, club money (lease) is due.
Old July 14, 2012, 06:43 PM   #18
YARDDOG(1)

Doyle, I feel for ya at least I get to wait 2 mounth before Bow season starts, And then It's still Too HOT, I pray for a cool front ; )
Y/D
Old July 14, 2012, 06:46 PM   #19
Husqvarna

a month away for me, for the stalking bucks only part,

.222/16gauge combo rifle. this year it will happen, they sure are skiddish. relativly small area and loads of hunters to so you gotta be careful

then 1 oct the fun starts with the dogs.
Old July 15, 2012, 06:31 AM   #20
giaquir

I don't know what I'm going to do.
Certainly make sure my rifles
are sighted in.
This is my first real hunting season in
retirement.
Old July 15, 2012, 09:30 AM   #21
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Aw, a little early for the rut. I haven't started waking up in the middle of the night, hooking the headboard. BossLady appreciates that.
Old July 15, 2012, 04:29 PM   #22
Jack O'Conner

Archery deer season in Maryland opens up early September.

Jack

Old July 15, 2012, 05:47 PM   #23
RangerHAAF

I'm anxious also. There have been good rains this summer so there should be plenty of acorns to make the deer plentiful. For me gun season starts on or about 21 November in Alabama. I'm hunting on opening day from a stand but after Christmas I stalk them in a leaf suit when the woods have cleared out.
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
Old July 16, 2012, 08:57 PM   #24
Crazy Carl

Lookin' forward to getting a couple more deer this year. Just disovered an awesome recipe for backstraps & the freezer is about bare. Rule on the farm we hunt is, if it's brown, it's down. Works for me. Should rack-zilla cruise past, I'll take a shot, otherwise show me them goofy 2 & 3 yr olds.

Late season, once the rut ends, the only deer we're likely to see are the ones we drive.

I've got a Marlin 60 getting a Weaver V2.5-7x28 on 'er, for some tree-rat slaying. Furry buggers are EVERYWHERE, but are smart enough to hi-tail it outta there, come Jan 1, the end our deer season

Got the family eating venison; time to try some fried squack on 'em.

Last edited by Crazy Carl; July 17, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old July 17, 2012, 10:48 AM   #25
Saltydog235

Opens up August 15 in some parts of SC. September 1 in my neck of the woods. Gotta make sure the Bug Tamer doesn't have an holes in it, the ThermaCell has plenty of juice and the snake boots are still good and I'm ready to go.

New hunt club this year too. Looking forward to a set up that has some restrictions on the size of bucks and not just 6 points like the old one. Dove fields, turkeys, hogs, quail and other vermin are there as well. Food plots galore on the property. Should be a good season. Oh and does as many times as I want to pay to process one.