The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 24, 2008, 10:27 PM   #1
KDM

Remington model 51

Tried this on the semiauto forum...no response. Understandable. Anyway, I saw a Remington model 51 offered for $350 at my local shop. 380 ACP, nickelled, in good shape aesthetically. Didn't disassemble. Slide moves well, spring power is good, black grips show some normal wear. Original mag.

This thing's kinda caught my eye...I like it. Googling shows some info, but what I've seen doesn't show any nickelled 51s, only blued.

Should I get it? On the one hand I like its lines and such...on the other, I don't think I'd want a non-standard finish. If I were to get an old piece like this I'd prefer its finish to be original.
Old February 24, 2008, 10:34 PM   #2
Gbro

My Blue book says finish "Black" .
Old February 24, 2008, 10:38 PM   #3
KDM

Thanks, Gbro. I was kinda holding out some hope that nickel might have been an option. The Remington collector's website has a form to fill out to track/classify/gain info on these 51's. One of the questions was "blued or nickelled". Maybe they were simply trying to weed out the blinged-out 51s from the originals.

I still might take another look at it, though. It is a neat gun.
Old February 24, 2008, 11:17 PM   #4
armoredman

Sounds like a neat gun anyway.
Old February 24, 2008, 11:30 PM   #5
KDM

Yeah, it's pretty cool. Looks kinda like a PPK, with some FEG thrown in. In a rough, imaginative way. I'll check it out again tomorrow, give it a more thorough look. Depending on how well the non-standard nickel is applied/holding up, I might pick it up.
Old February 29, 2008, 01:35 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you get it, please don't break the grips by trying to pry them off. To remove them, you push in the grip safety pin until it is flush, slide the grip on that side down and lift out, then do the same on the other side.

Jim