The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2006, 10:38 PM   #1
T-Bear

Anybody use Shot Capsules

An eariler post concerning 44mag shotshelss got me thinking into making my own for 45LC.
Browsing through Midway, I found these:http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=682652

Just wondering if anybody have tried these out and how do they load. I am guessing that the capsule filled with shot will fit inside of a 45LC case? Or is the capsule itself the actually case in which it will be fired from?

Any info or input from past users will be very helpful.

Thank you
Old October 22, 2006, 11:51 PM   #2
suemarkp

There are the exact same things the factory shot shells use. The capsule is the "Bullet" and you fill it with the size shot you want. They are smaller than normal bullet diameter (so the rifling doesn't engage them), but are the easiest way to get started with shotshell handloads. Be careful with crimping. You need to crimp because even without neck expanding, they fit too loose. But crimp too much and you crack the blue capsule.
Old October 23, 2006, 12:26 AM   #3
T-Bear

Thanks for the reply, This will be my first attempt in loading shotshells. I like these because it already gives me some load data at which to start at, but the big plus is that the shot will not touch the rifling for a more better pattern.
Old October 23, 2006, 01:33 AM   #4
JJB2

go to SHOOTERS FORUM and look for speer shot capsule reloading... there is lots of information on there right now.....
Old October 23, 2006, 06:30 PM   #5
hodaka

Have any of ya'll tried these in a 45ACP? I remember an article in American Rifleman a few years ago about reloading shot capsules for a 45ACP but I forget what they were using for the capsule.
Old October 23, 2006, 10:16 PM   #6
flutedchamber

Basically just follow the directions on the box of capsules and you will be ok. Stick with shot on the smaller size (around #9 is good) for tight patterns. I have used 45 colt shotcaps in 45 acp, and they work. Have to single load them, but they work. Have fun.