The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 8, 2011, 08:58 AM   #51
DrBundy

Quote:
Anyone know what the little plastic cup that comes with it is for?
Jello mold
Shot glass
Jello shot mold/glass

First serious answer I've seen is that it's used to keep the plastic case from getting crushed and harming the weapon, but that doesn't make much more sense than a jello mold since a plastic foam-lined case is in little danger of damaging a polymer/steel pistol. I use mine to keep a handle on small parts during maintenance.
Old June 8, 2011, 09:18 AM   #52
LockedBreech

I believe the little plastic cup is intended to keep odds and ends accounted for when doing maintenance. Which is very odd, since no part of the gun save the locking block will fit in that 'lil cup. I use mine as a thumbtack holder on my desk.

My dad carried a Beretta 96 as a cop for about ten years, and he was amazed when he could do much more rapid followup shots with a gun about 1/3 lighter.
Old June 8, 2011, 11:07 AM   #53
ShipWreck

Quote:
I believe the little plastic cup is intended to keep odds and ends accounted for when doing maintenance. Which is very odd, since no part of the gun save the locking block will fit in that 'lil cup. I use mine as a thumbtack holder on my desk.
No, as stated above - its just to keep the case from being crushed. They've been putting those in the cases for years. Stoeger (which Beretta owns) does it too).

I let my son have one to play in the sand with
Old June 8, 2011, 11:53 AM   #54
Tactical Jackalope

Very nice gun! I'm not gonna lie I had a bad taste in my mouth with the 92f or 92fs or whatever...But the PX4 is making me think about getting one down the road.

I also told LawScholar this....

I saw the movie "Inception" he uses one chambered in .40... I mean come on :P
Old June 8, 2011, 01:02 PM   #55
Ludarue

Quote:
I saw the movie "Inception" he uses one chambered in .40... I mean come on :P
LOL. So does Jessica Biel in the movie A-Team.
Old June 8, 2011, 01:19 PM   #56
LockedBreech

I have no idea how I just read over that part about the case getting crushed...I feel like a boob.

Haha, Constantine, I got your PM on my phone when I was having a picnic in the park with my girl about an hour ago and I laughed and reminded her about that time we saw Inception and she shushed me because I wouldn't shut up about how my gun was the same as the hero character's.
Old June 8, 2011, 01:39 PM   #57
pgdion

Quote:
there's a lot of pistols that don't sell as well as they should, and i think the the reason is striker fired pistols are the hot ticket nowadays, and DA pistols like the px4 and fnx series are kinda out of place with the current trend.
So true, personally I'll take hammer fired any day over the striker. Nothing wrong with the striker fired (all of my 22's have it except the little walther) but I really like hammers better myself. Part of it is being able to have DA/SA and being able to de-cock and part of it is just the aesthetics ... hammer pistols are cool. The PX4 definitely rocks, congrats on the nice purchase.

Oooooooh, so that's what all those little blue cups all over my bench are for. I've always wondered ...
Old June 8, 2011, 03:45 PM   #58
bitttorrrent

This is what i use the little bucket for.

Anyway, as you can see this was the cheapest ammo they had and was perfect. Another 50 rds through and i like this gun more and more.
Old June 10, 2011, 06:04 AM   #59
Nordeste

Question for PX4 owners. Have you tried shooting a few hundreds through it with no cleaning?. I've read something that it tends to have jammings if so happens. I believe it's not true, but your inputs are welcome.
Old June 10, 2011, 06:18 AM   #60
ShipWreck

I put like 225 on the last trip. I generally shoot 200 rounds of 9mm per trip. And, I clean my guns at the range after I shoot EVERYTIME. I'm not one of those guys that lets it ride for thousands of rounds, or a year or whatever. So, I guess I'll never find out
Old June 10, 2011, 06:45 AM   #61
Ludarue

Quote:
Have you tried shooting a few hundreds through it with no cleaning?.
I have put 200-300 rounds through mine before without cleaning or oil. Nothing more than that though.
Old June 10, 2011, 07:45 AM   #62
DrBundy

Quote:
Have you tried shooting a few hundreds through it with no cleaning?
400-500 rounds with no cleaning other than running a bore snake through the bbl once or twice. I always run the snake through at the end of a range session anyway, but I've gone 2 or 3 range sessions between cleanings. The PX4 (full size, at least) can ride dirty. I don't recall any jams with mine, but if I did have any, they were ammo related. I've run some pretty nasty ammo through it. Other than excessive smoke, never an issue. My PX4 is a keeper.
Old June 10, 2011, 09:49 AM   #63
Nordeste

Thanks for your answers, gents.

It worried me somehow. I read it another gun related forum, but who knows if the one who so said was a Glock fanboy or similar. The PX4 fits inside what I'd call the "combat pistol" category, and it is supposed to fire plenty of magazines before cleaning is required.

FYI, when we were issued our 92FS, we were told this weapons were sensitive to dirt and that they were best kept clean. I've shot like 300 rounds through mine with no issues, and it's my intention to shoot another 300 to see what happens and where's the limit. I usually clean my pistol after each range day, but it's good to know how many magazines you can fire before you start having problems.
Old June 10, 2011, 09:54 AM   #64
Tyrant

Had to jump 0n the band wagon

I've been wanting one for a long time, so I just purchased the 9mm sub compact 3". Planning on trying it out today. I will say its design and looks are beautfull. Breaking down the gun is so simple I could'nt think of any reason to run hundreds of rounds through her between cleanings.
Old June 10, 2011, 11:17 AM   #65
MLeake

Just be careful, when breaking down the sub-compact, not to pull the takedown lever too far out. If you pull it all the way out of the frame, then getting it back in place will require moving a very small spring inside the frame that you may not have noticed is there. (Otherwise, you will wonder why the lever just won't go back in, and you'll end up asking a friend to see if he can figure it out, and then you'll feel silly... don't ask how I know.)
Old June 10, 2011, 11:40 AM   #66
Ludarue

Quote:
If you pull it all the way out of the frame, then getting it back in place will require moving a very small spring
MLeake, has something changed since I bought mine? I have taken the lever in and out a couple of times (not meaning to, hard to get back in) but have never had to move a spring.
Old June 10, 2011, 11:57 AM   #67
MLeake

Ludarue, you said it was "hard to get back in." My guess is you applied enough force to the lever that the spring moved out of the way of the lever.

I don't like applying force to moving parts. May have to do with being a pilot. Forcing sticky controls to move during pre-flight often masks the fact that a control cable is off a pulley, and may be about to break. So, when things don't move smoothly, I tend to want to find out why that is, or find somebody who can.

That, and I've broken a few things over the years, by applying force when it probably wasn't a good idea...

I'm overseas at the moment, so don't have the manual with me, but I believe it says not to fully remove the lever during takedown.

The guy at the LGS who does maintenance on rental guns also told me not to fully remove the lever, due to the same issue. (He and the shop manager were the guys who got my lever back in, and showed me the piece of spring wire that was blocking it... I think the wire's purpose is probably to retain the lever, there's a small indentation it seemed to fit into when all was in place.)
Old June 10, 2011, 12:17 PM   #68
aarondhgraham

It's like that little plastic thingie in your pizza box,,,

Keeps the plastic case from getting crushed,,,
That and it's a handy place tp put small items.

At least that's what the dude at the gun show said.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 10, 2011, 12:21 PM   #69
Ludarue

Quote:
My guess is you applied enough force to the lever that the spring moved out of the way of the lever.
No I never forced it back into position, I just have to turn it while lining up the slide with the hole. I see what you are saying though and will try to be careful not to remove it in the future.
Old June 10, 2011, 12:24 PM   #70
DrBundy

Nordeste -

If you go to the Beretta Forum and do some snooping, you'll come across plenty of posts about people "torture testing" various Beretta models. Failures didn't show until the round counts were in the many thousands and beyond. A few hundred rounds will not make the PX4 hiccup (again, my experience is limited to the full size model). It will handle everything I throw at it, from the most garbage of imported rounds to sketchy handloads to premium defensive ammo.

This is not an endorsement to skip out on cleaning your weapon, but rather just piece of mind if you go more than one or two range sessions without cleaning. Also note, a little light grease on the rotating barrel and block assembly will make this gun purr like a kitten after a saucer of cream. Don't overdo it, though. A little dab'll do ya.
Old June 10, 2011, 01:37 PM   #71
bitttorrrent

I believe I read something to that effect, that a little light oil on the rotating barrel assembly will go a long way. This could mean just a very small drop every thousand rounds or so. After the initial 100 or so I cleaned it and could not even tell it had been fired.

I clean mine after every session, only in the few hundred so far, so cannot attest to running it diry, but has fed cheap and reloads without fail. Only one bullet reload that was severely out of spec - but not the gun.

The slide and rotating barell are pretty robust, and that is maybe a factor in its good quality and reliability.

I would not worry at all.
Old June 10, 2011, 01:58 PM   #72
Nordeste

Thanks for the answers . I'm afraid I'll have to register in yet another forum and find out.

But I know how I am... I want a polivalent pistol. I want a pistol with a manual safety, and I want a controllable compact pistol, in which double tapping is an easy business. And I love the looks of the PX4. It's just a matter of time. Shame I can't range test it. I know of no one that has one and there's no chance of renting them here.
Old June 11, 2011, 05:43 PM   #73
LockedBreech

I have run my PX4 extremely dirty. 200 rounds of filthy, corroded, ~10 year old ammo followed by 200-250 of modern ammo. When I cleaned it, it took a LOT of time to get all the grime out. It never hiccuped. In nearly 2k rounds, it never has.
Old June 11, 2011, 06:31 PM   #74
Tactical Jackalope

I really want one. In .40. Seriously "/
Old June 11, 2011, 10:18 PM   #75
AustinTX

Quote:
I really want one. In .40. Seriously "/
Me too, eventually. They're outstanding guns, and .40 is where the recoil-dampening effect of the rotating-barrel action really shines.

Tags
beretta , px4