The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2014, 05:22 PM   #1
histed

Loaded or Loose?

Reloading components, that is. I'm looking for you opinions and reasoning on whether to go ahead and load as much ammo as possible whit the stuff I have or to store the components for future use. I can see no reason I would sell any of the firearms I have, so working up new loads isn't a consideration. Will powder, primers "keep" better loose? Does it matter?
Old September 1, 2014, 05:46 PM   #2
mikld

Goin' away fer a spell? If you have a good load for your gun, it's a toss-up. Either use the load now or later. Keep components in their original containers, cool and dry, and they will last for years. Reloads will last just as long (The other day I shot some .44 Magnums I reloaded in '96 ). Six of one, half dozen of the other. I like reloading so I'd prolly use the components now and shoot, now and later...
Old September 1, 2014, 06:36 PM   #3
Blindstitch

Load away.

Coming from a man who never hunts with reloads for his 30-30 winchester. I have two boxes of power point winchester for that. But have at least 500 rounds of reloads ready to go.

Thank god I picked up that second 30-30 to take up the slack.

I have other rifles in 6.5 Jap and 30-40 krag that I wouldn't hesitate to reload all the available brass I could find for. That is as long as the best load data for that rifle is nailed down.

If you have the time and components do whatever makes you happy.
Old September 1, 2014, 07:11 PM   #4
Ifishsum

I like to keep a reasonable stash of ammo loaded up, especially for the cartridges I shoot a lot - but since I also tend to change focus every couple of years I also keep a fair amount of components unloaded so they aren't locked up in a specific cartridge or load. That way if I decide to do something different with the components later, I can.
Old September 1, 2014, 10:16 PM   #5
dickttx

I like to keep about a two month supply of loaded ammo and the rest in components.
For instance I almost never shoot my Commander in 9mm since I got a 38 Super barrel for it. But I have about 600 9mm rounds with primers, fmj bullets and powder tied up. All of those could be used in my Supers if they were still components.
I don't have to have near as much brass if keep reusing it. My first 100 rounds of 38 Super brass was reloaded 26 times while working up loads. A lot of my 45 ACP have been loaded in the 20's.
But everyone has to do what fits THEIR needs.
Old September 1, 2014, 11:55 PM   #6
boondocker385

Load away....someday you might not have the time.
Old September 2, 2014, 01:53 AM   #7
Nick_C_S

Lil' o' both

Quote:
Ifishsum said: I like to keep a reasonable stash of ammo loaded up, especially for the cartridges I shoot a lot - but since I also tend to change focus every couple of years I also keep a fair amount of components unloaded so they aren't locked up in a specific cartridge or load. That way if I decide to do something different with the components later, I can.
. . ^^ That's my thought. ^^

I've learned over the years that shooting styles and focus' change. Don't assume that the way you like to shoot now is the way you'll like to shoot next year. Example: I like to shoot in steel competitions. Originally, I loaded the rounds (38 Special) super light for minimum recoil. But now, I bring my carry piece to the competitions and want the recoil to somewhat resemble real life (I don't participate to win; I participate to have fun and gain a little shooting skill). So I load 'em up a little hotter now.

As far as the shelf life of the components: I don't think it matters. Always store your components/ammo in a cool, dark, & dry environment, and they'll last for many years - loaded or unassembled.
Old September 2, 2014, 03:44 AM   #8
histed

Thanks for your thoughts. Mine run pretty close to boondocker's, especially in the current political climate, but shooting as a sport does change and pulling ammo down to get the components back is a real pain.
Old September 2, 2014, 06:23 AM   #9
oldpapps

A morbid view.

Your loads have little value to anyone who doesn't know and trust your loading abilities.
Loose primers and partial cans/bottles of powder lack value.

Sealed cans/bottles of powder and like new cartons of primers are.... like new and will fetch higher value.

Brass and boolets, loose, have greater value loose than stuffed together.

So, it comes down to how many rounds do you shoot before you can reload? How long (age and health here) are you going to be shooting?

If you are planning to be over ran by zombies, you will want a lot of extras available. But if you needs are varmint control, hunting and practice, less on hand is needed. Stock up, store properly and load what you need and want for your circumstances.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old September 2, 2014, 09:30 AM   #10
rg1

Once you have what you determine is an adequate supply of loaded ammo for your needs then I'd stock up on components that will last a good while. I try to keep enough powder, primers, bullets, to reload what I shoot for a long time. Careful though as you'll get into a circle of wanting more brass to reload then thinking I need more components and you'll end up with more loaded ammo, needing ammo cans, and end up with a lot of loaded rounds. Not a bad thing though. Components when stored in climate controlled homes will last decades.
Old September 2, 2014, 10:41 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

I have more components than loaded ammo, for 2 reasons... I'm hardly ever satisfied with the load ( are they really the best I can do ??? ) & 2nd... I can never keep caught up loading, for as fast as I shoot
Old September 2, 2014, 10:43 AM   #12
g.willikers

Quote:
I've learned over the years that shooting styles and focus' change.
Unless you are absolutely sure that the loads will suit you now and in the future, loading up everything might prove to be a mistake.
Been there, done that, won't do it again.
Old September 2, 2014, 07:20 PM   #13
histed

g.willikers - why a mistake?
This is really the first time I've had the opportunity to have a surplus that I didn't need right away. I don't have to load everything, but I do enjoy the process and it lets me shoot more. Must admit, though, I already see that 'more brass, more components, more storage...' thing starting. Never quite enough - just one more pound.... addiction can be a wonderful thing
Old September 3, 2014, 04:42 AM   #14
Mike / Tx

Me, I keep things as is until ready for use.

Like mentioned loading up a bunch of one thing for later on is sometimes not the prudent thing to do.

I load for hunting purposes and when I do I usually load in batches of 50 so I have plenty to verify the scope and do a little practice before the season opens. Once it does, if lucky I only use a couple more rounds. As a result I can shoot up the others during the off season on hogs or coyotes.

That said I load for several calibers and having something to use at any given time is usually not an issue. Since I have several rifles and handguns, in some of the most popular calibers, I tend to only load what I want and when a a result. It keeps my powders down to a minimum and the clutter of loaded ammo down as well.
Old September 3, 2014, 07:54 AM   #15
Sport45

I like to keep the bulk of my reloading supplies in component form. If I want to try H-4895, for instance, in a new cartridge it would be bad if all my inventory of that powder was already loaded in something else and just sitting in a closet.
Old September 4, 2014, 01:48 PM   #16
mikld

Quote:
Unless you are absolutely sure that the loads will suit you now and in the future, loading up everything might prove to be a mistake.
Yep, a few years ago I reloaded a few boxes (about 150 rounds) of .44 Magnums with what I thought was a good load for my 629. Turns out they were a but too hot for my S&W and I'm not shooting them as well as I did back then. I had a few boxes taking up room in my ammo cabinet for mebbe 16 years and I got tired of moving them around so I finally pulled the bullets and reloaded the brass. I would rather of had the powder/primers/and bullets available for other loads than tied up in a load I didn't wanna shoot...
Old September 4, 2014, 01:58 PM   #17
WESHOOT2

What can you afford?
Old September 4, 2014, 02:01 PM   #18
dickttx

Load away....someday you might not have the time.

Or, you could be like me, and probably several others here, and now have nothing but time.
Old September 4, 2014, 02:12 PM   #19
g.willikers

Quote:
why a mistake?
What cured me of loading too much ammo at one time was after realizing that the scale and measure was set wrong.
Had to unload every round and do it again.
Glad I stopped at only 250 rounds instead of the 1000 I was intending.
Didn't have to go to the gym that week.

Last edited by g.willikers; September 4, 2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old September 4, 2014, 03:25 PM   #20
twobit

I try and keep most of my brass loaded, but I also try and keep bullets, powder, and primers on hand for future. Either loaded or as components, it will keep forever. I have a deer rifle that has never seen a factory round but has fired a few hundred rounds of reloads. I still use the hunting loads my Papa loaded for it in 1973 to hunt with. I still have enough of those for 20 more years of hunting. When I use those rounds it is like he is still with me. The rifle is now 41 years old.
Old September 5, 2014, 11:42 AM   #21
trixter

I kill paper most of the year, so I keep a bunch of ammo loaded up, but come snow-melt I hunt squeeks, and use a different bullet (Hornady V-Max) I keep the same weight and shape to practice with so all feels the same. I load enough to satisfy at the time and keep some stuff in reserve. I always have at least 500 of each ready to go, after all squeek hunting can use up 200 real quick, come to think of it, so can practicing. The reloader is always available.