The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 7, 2006, 08:43 AM   #1
KenpoProfessor

S & W Sigma .40 and 9mm, interchangeable???

Recently, I had an oppurtunity to pick up all the internal parts, slide and barrel for a SW9V, everything except the frame. Well, me bein' the consumate experimenter, I decided to swap slides and barrels on my SW40VE to see if it works, IT DOES. Next, I decided to load 9mm rounds into the .40 mag and see if it cycles, IT DOES. I'm ordering a 9mm mag now to see if it fits in the frame. From what people are telling me, the mag well is different on the .40 and 9mm, but I can discern no visible differences in the mags on visual inpsection from photos online, but I'll have to physically have one in the weapon to make sure (anybody got any cheap 9mm mags they want to get rid of or send me for this experiment?).

My question is this, economically speaking, isn't it cheaper for S & W to make ONE (1) frame for both 9mm and .40? I've noticed only one very slight difference in the slide, and none on the barrel, and all the internal parts APPEAR to be identical between the .40 and 9mm? I've also heard the ejectors on the 9mm are not as powerful as the .40. If so, I'll just swap barrels with the 9mm rds in the mag and see how that flies.

What if I changed the follower and spring in my .40 mag to a 9mm to ensure a good fit in the frame if there is a difference? The rounds loaded in the .40 mag cycled the same with the 9mm rounds in it. I did notice that the feed lips on the .40 10rd mags were a little wider than the 15rd so I may have to sacrifice a .40 mag and tune the feed lips a bit to hold the 9mm.

Has anyone tried this yet? If so, any FTF's or FTE's? As I said, I'll be taking it to the range next week to see if it works, but I probably won't have the 9mm magazine to ck it yet, when I get it, I'll update this post.

Suggestions, comments?

Thanks for your time.

Clyde