The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 5, 2005, 09:41 PM   #1
Duxman

4 Canadian Mounties Killed

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nties_killed_7

Another sad story for gun control. Seems 4 canadian mounties armed only with handguns did a raid on a MJ farm. A single gunman killed all 4, then killed himself.

It seems even in a country where gun control is strictly regulated, it is regulated even in their own police force.

Nothing like good old American Firepower.
Old March 6, 2005, 01:24 PM   #2
Mastrogiacomo

In a country with no respect for firearm ownership, it doesn't surprise me that they were ill prepared. Countries with the strictest gun control are often the most ignorant about them and how to respond to potentially dangerous situations.
Old March 6, 2005, 04:24 PM   #3
Archie

Mastrogiacomo,

You have hit it on the head.

It sounds like these Mounties went into this 'condition white'. After all, Canada is much more civilized than the United States, dont' you know?

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old March 6, 2005, 07:03 PM   #4
mete

According to CBC news they were called to assist in a truck repossesion not a drug raid .The BG had a criminal record and a long history of run ins with police.They should have been alert !
Old March 6, 2005, 08:03 PM   #5
Jseime

this was a tragedy that easily could have been prevented by some simple armaments. first of all there is a pump shotgun in every police cruiser loaded with buckshot which could have proven invaluable. second of all if police are called in to a potentially dangerous situation why not arm them with and AR type rifle?

As for canadas gun laws: they have done nothing to prevent gun violence or illegal firearm ownership (proven facts). i know for a fact that at least 50% of gun owners i know dont bother to register their firearms. We have blown a billion dollars plus on the whole thing and arent even close to being done (it was supposed to be a 2 million dollar thing). liberals have softened our justice system to the point where murderers spend a mere 25 years in jail for their crime. for example one man was caught with a browning buckmark pistol, a glock 9mm and an S&W .45. he had a large quantity of ammo for all of them and spent one day in jail which is ridiculous in the first place because it shouldnt be illegal but only one day for owning three illegal weapons and ammunition for all of them is even worse.

thats just my little rant about a tragedy that could have so easily been prevented.
Old March 6, 2005, 08:13 PM   #6
TheeBadOne

They went for the truck, found a grow, sat on it while getting a warrant, and were abushed.

Four more holes in the myth that
marijuana growers are harmless.
Old March 7, 2005, 03:48 AM   #7
tyme
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jseime
for example one man was caught with a browning buckmark pistol, a glock 9mm and an S&W .45. he had a large quantity of ammo for all of them and spent one day in jail which is ridiculous in the first place because it shouldnt be illegal but only one day for owning three illegal weapons and ammunition for all of them is even worse.
Huh? It shouldn't be illegal, but if it is it should carry a lengthy sentence? I don't understand that reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBadOne
Four more holes in the myth that marijuana growers are harmless.
You have to draw the line somewhere. This guy sounds like a scumbag, but the Mounties have no right to harass someone who's growing plants, no matter what Canada law says. What if it were a law against certain books and not plants that led to the raid? Would anyone be condemning his actions simply because he had a prior conviction for sexual assault?
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old March 7, 2005, 05:15 AM   #8
LAK

What TheeBadOne said.

And it sounds like they were taken offguard; in which case you can have an MG, rifles and grenades - and still lose.
Old March 7, 2005, 07:02 PM   #9
Mannlicher

Sounds like Canadian cops are just as unprepared as American Cops.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old March 18, 2005, 08:25 PM   #10
TheeBadOne

Old March 24, 2005, 06:11 PM   #11
Jseime

New release

the guy that ambushed the mounties had several weapons. the main one that he used was an H&K "assult rifle" in .308 with a 20 round magazine (prohibited), he had a semi-automatic 9mm pistol in his belt (restricted) and some other long arm (they wont say what kind over his shoulder). both the guns described came into his possesion illegally. another fine example of gun control at work.

maybe now they will allow the mounties to have AR type rifles and prepare them better for dangerous situations.