The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 27, 2006, 05:37 PM   #1
MeekAndMild

FWIW regarding chiggers.

For those of you who are planning on going dove hunting next month I'll share a little information with you.

I tested the hypothesis this weekend and am now suffering for it. The old home remedy of sulfur powder patted on the pants legs just does not work as well as DEET to defend against chiggers.

In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old August 27, 2006, 07:48 PM   #2
whiskey

LMAO....I am so sorry for you man. I have been there and it ain't fun.

Nail polish, bleach, cigger-rid, other worthless crap. Nothing seems to get rid of those nasty little buggers.

I have used kerosene soaked rags tied around my ankles, worked ok, but you have to be careful if you smoke

DEET and lots of it are probably the best method. Permanone(?) that you spray on your clothes and let dry works good. I used that a good bit in the Army and it was effective.
Old August 27, 2006, 08:23 PM   #3
Esquire M Busterbury

Chiggers are a bane of mankind...We should drop bombers full of those suckers instead of carpetbombing...THAT would do the trick for sure!
Old August 27, 2006, 09:15 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Permanon

Better than deet, boys:

http://www.judysbook.com/members/SFH...2006/3/287326/

Get ya some! FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS - DO NOT PUT DIRECTLY ON SKIN - Apply liberally to pants and boots at least a day in advance of the hunt and allow to dry. No bugs.

Sorry to hear of your troubles; and thanks for info.
Old August 29, 2006, 09:12 PM   #5
drinks

I am sure no one will believe me, but I have been 95% chigger free for the last 45 years,I just bathe daily with Dial Gold bath soap, no other color works.
Old August 29, 2006, 09:57 PM   #6
swampdog

Quote:
I have used kerosene soaked rags tied around my ankles, worked ok, but you have to be careful if you smoke
Kerosene also seems to help after you've been bitten. I guess it kills them or something. I've also had good results using laquer thinner or acetone(fingernail polish remover) on chigger bites. None of the above are very healthy to use on your skin, but when you're ate up with red bugs, who cares.
Old August 29, 2006, 11:14 PM   #7
Bigfatts

A redneck buddy of mine says that a good long dip in a hot tub is good if you're afflicted with chiggers. Don't know though, I've never had the pleasure .
Old August 30, 2006, 06:40 PM   #8
MeekAndMild

Dial Gold bath soap eh? That will be my next test.

I can tell you right now that smoking cigarettes is out. Mrs. Meek would have my hide if I started again so many years after the cancer surgery. But I never had chiggers when I smoked.

Another thing a neighbor told me was that drinking sulfur mineral spring water would keep chiggers and ticsk away. We don't have any sulfur springs around here so I can't try that one. I have a sulfur salt lick block for the cows but they don't like it very much; the bugs and flies still bite them, though they don't have as many ticks.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old August 30, 2006, 07:11 PM   #9
littlmak

Drinks you may be on to something! I also use Dial gold and can't remember the last time I was bothered by chiggers. My father can't walk through 3 ft. of grass to get to the car w/o catching a leg full. He uses Ivory
Old August 30, 2006, 08:22 PM   #10
FirstFreedom

Chiggers can really jack you up and make you physiologically ill, if you really get into them. Said hot bath needs additives like oatmeal or other soothing agents.

I am just about convinced that garlic keeps the horseflies and mosquitoes off of me. But not ticks. And not sure about chiggers. I take garlic supplements, and them horseflies and skeeters can be eating my buds alive, and they don't even bother me.
Old August 31, 2006, 10:59 PM   #11
MeekAndMild

FF, you've got that right. According to Wikipedia chiggers can spread scrub typhus, a really nasty disease.
Old September 2, 2006, 08:42 PM   #12
hps1

Quote:
http://www.judysbook.com/members/SFH...2006/3/287326/
Get ya some! FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS - DO NOT PUT DIRECTLY ON SKIN - Apply liberally to pants and boots at least a day in advance of the hunt and allow to dry. No bugs.
Right on FF. This stuff works, and as the link stated, lasts through several washings. As far as I can tell, it is odorless, too. I spray my boots more often, but instructions say not to re-treat clothing too often (6 weeks IIRC).

Recently read a similar thread and someone swore that spraying down from waist down w/a 50-50 mix of clorox and water, then showering would kill both chiggers and ticks. No first hand knowledge on the matter, tho.

There is one good thing about chiggers, however; when they quit itching, it is nearly hunting season again .

Regards,
hps
Old September 3, 2006, 12:37 PM   #13
jrklaus

Garlic?

In my Scouting experiences, I have found that garlic works for ticks (they'll crawl on you, but not latch on--ingesting peppers or pepper sauce helps with ticks too), but garlic is less effective for mosquitos and, unfortunately, not at all effective for chiggers. YMMV.