The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2000, 06:34 PM   #1
bigboredave

Does anybody have a favorite load for there blackhawk in 45 colt? I heard you could really load them heavy to almost 44 mag levels
Old February 15, 2000, 07:05 PM   #2
DaHaMac

Hey there bigboredave,

I have a .454 which also shoots .45LC ammo, I haven't had time to work up any loads for the LC yet, but my friend Killer45auto has, and WOW the heavy loads are heavy.

What type of gun are you going to be using to shoot these heavy loads? In the reloading books the only two Manufactures recommended are Ruger and Freedom Arms. Make double sure you firearm will be able to handle these heavy loads, because you will be dealing with some high pressure "MAGNUM" like rounds when you fully load the .45LC

The type of gun also makes a big difference, ask Killer45auto about his experience with full-house .45LC loads, and you'll get a OUCH for an answer. Killer and I have both shot the .454 Casull with factory hot loads from Cor-bon, and compared to the heavy .45LC loads in a Ruger Vaquero, the .454 was very pleasant and mild. Unless you like holding on to your gun with one finger and the barrel pointing at your head after you fire the first shot of heavy .45LC.

I will be interested in seeing what kind of responses you get about heavy loads for the .45LC because I probably will reload the .45LC hot to shoot in my Ruger Super Redhawk .454 in order to save a little money or just out of curiousity.

OOPS, you said blackhawk, good! I'll leave the other part of my post just in case somebody else with a 45LC get interested in shooting Heavy loads and wonders about what type of gun they could use.

Keep on hitting the Bulls-eye,
DaHaMac

[This message has been edited by DaHaMac (edited February 15, 2000).]
Old February 15, 2000, 07:32 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Since this is a reloading topic, I'll move it to the Handloading and Reloading forum ...
Old February 15, 2000, 07:40 PM   #4
killer45auto

Here is one of my favorites its a
250 gr. Hornady XTP
Rem LP primers
winchester cases
25 Grains of Winchester 296 1.5 off max
OAL 1.595
in the vaquero i do recomend a set of nice hogue grips though as with the factory one it has a nasty flip to it i got the handload data out of Hodgdons #26 data manual
hope this helps
Killer45!!!!!!!
Old February 15, 2000, 10:31 PM   #5
Cactus

You can load a Ruger to levels that equal the 44 Mag. loads in a suitable revolver.

My favorite load is:

325 gr. LBT hard cast bullet
21.5 gr. of Win. 296
W-W case
CCI Magnum primer

This is a very heavy load with considerable recoil. I had to have Hamilton Bowen fit a taller front sight along with his rear sight as the original sights would not adjust enough to get on paper. The gun is a Ruger Blackhawk Stainless with a 5-1/2" barrel.

I use an Uncle Mikes padded shooting glove with the stock grips. The glove allows me to shoot 50 rounds without much trouble (or pain).

DO NOT use this load in anything other that a Ruger or Contender. Work up to this load in your revolver, do not start out with it right of way.
Old February 16, 2000, 03:01 AM   #6
Ricciardelli

http://www.again.net/~steve/page8a.htm
Old February 16, 2000, 07:32 PM   #7
Hal

My pet loading for the .45LC is:
7.0 to 7.2 gr of Unique
.452 Hard cast LRNFP

Most importantly, at least in the case of my Blackhawk is size. This load is very accurate compared to loads using a .451 slug. I suspect the chamber mouths to be oversized. I have read a number of times that Blackhawks tend to have oversized chamber mouths.

[This message has been edited by RAE (edited February 16, 2000).]
Old February 17, 2000, 12:11 AM   #8
Grayfox

Two of my favorite loads:
250gr LFP or 255gr LSWC and 8.5gr Unique.
This is a great general purpose load and has been very accurate in my guns.

300gr LFP and 10gr Unique.
This is a +P load and your Ruger will digest it with no problem.

Yeah, you can work up some "magnum" level loads for the Ruger. The question is do you really want to? The .45 Colt is an outstanding cartridge just as it is. It will take deer sized game at reasonable distances without all that noise and recoil. That is exactly why I prefer it to the .44 magnum. If you want magnum power, buy a .44. Otherwise you'll find the .45 Colt has plenty of power without the pain. JMHO.
Old February 17, 2000, 08:25 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

Recommend CCI 350 primers igniting safe charges of W296.

Suggest Redding Profile Crimp die as the best way to finish your load.

Easily getting 1300+fps with 300g XTP's.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old February 18, 2000, 09:38 AM   #10
DaHaMac

What is the Redding Profile Crimp die. I am probably headed out today to buy some powder and bullets to reload for the .45LC, I am going to load them hot to simulate a medium .454 load.

I know in the past when killer45auto loaded hot .45LC, there was a bit of a problem with the bullet backing out of the case under the extreme recoil in his Ruger Vaquero. That was using the Lee one-stage reloading press. So seeing something about a good crimper for the .45LC caught my attention. I will look for a Redding web-site, if you have a link handy how about posting it please. I found the site here is the link http://www.reddingreloading.com/

One reason here in GA we are experimenting with the heavy loads in the .45LC is that GA requires that you have 500ft-lbs of energy at 100yards for a handgun to be considered legal to hunt. Killer45 has been doing all the research on the loads, but it seems right now that the .44mag is likely the smallest gun with factory ammo to be legal in GA. Therefore it takes a heavy handloads in the .45LC that matches or surpasses the .44mag to be legal, or Cor-bon's +P .45LC. I think the requirements are a little excessive.

Thanks,
DaHaMac
Old February 18, 2000, 10:02 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

DaHaMac,

The Redding die provides a gentle taper, centering the bullet, before finishing with a symmetrical heavy roll crimp.

The benefits are increased accuracy (enough personal testing to support that statement) and decreased chance of crimp-jump.

Perfect for straight-walled revolver cartridges.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old February 19, 2000, 08:44 PM   #12
DaHaMac

WOW, loaded up almost a hundred of Killer's Heavy .45LC loads, see his post earlier this thread. Let me tell you what, if you are lookign for heavy, you got it.

What I actually wound up with was this:
255grn lead
25grn Winchester 296
CCI 300 Large pistol primers
New Winchester Brass

I wish that I had access to testing equipment, those loads were cooking. Blinded the guy in the lane next to me, good thing he was a friend, and the range owner was overheard saying a few choice words about the noise. Those loads definitely had felt recoil in my big Super Redhawk, can I recomend good shooting gloves or a brain surgeon if your are going to shooting more than a 12 in a lighter gun. Killer shot 6 out of a Ruger Vaquero and knew he had shot a gun, now I know why.

BTW, the loads had good accuracey at 25 yrds.

DaHaMac