The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 18, 2011, 02:15 PM   #26
FrontSight

I'll just sit back and wait for the "Uh-oh, I forgot I had replaced the shotshells with regular ammo, now my roof leaks" post.

LOL

Seriously, though, please be careful. Someone used a .22 to "drill" a hole through their wall for a cable tv line not too long ao.

Worked great on the wall, but horribly on his wife who was in the backyard and was hit and killed.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:19 PM   #27
aarondhgraham

I tried a shot-shell yesterday evening,,,

I have a Taurus PLY in .22 LR,,,
It has that nifty tip-up barrel function,,,
Made it real quick-n-easy to load a shot-shell,,,
And it ejected the thing just like it was supposed to.

I missed the leaf I was shooting at though,,,
And I only had the one shot-shell.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old May 18, 2011, 03:28 PM   #28
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Seriously wait till cool down and sunset. Do what you have to do to reach the nest and spray the heck out of it with wasp spray and get rid of the nest. Shooting at a building with anything more potent than talcum powder is a bad idea and even then its not a good idea. Save the 22 shot for man eating butterflies, shooting heads off matches and mice in the garden.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 18, 2011, 06:42 PM   #29
Bill DeShivs

Carpenter bees don't have a conventional nest. The female bores a nice, round 1/2" hole into the wood, and solitarily raises her young inside.
.22 shotshells at more than about 8 feet probably won't work-the spread is just too great.
A pellet pistol might be the ticket.
I have shot a few "on the wing" with a single shot .22 pistol. I pulled the bullet, dumped the powder, and made a wax bullet.
Old May 19, 2011, 07:52 PM   #30
nickelanddime

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't planning on shooting AT my house, though. The bees tend to hover above my porch for a bit before boring in, making excellent targets of themselves. My ammo store doesn't have any shotshells in yet, so in the meantime I've been picking the bees off of the flowers at the edge of my yard(40 yds.) with my Anschutz BR rifle. Fun!
Old May 19, 2011, 11:04 PM   #31
justjim75

ok guys, help me out. that new taurus circut judge rifle/shotgun carbine thing comes with a straight rifled choke for shot shells. i read that the rifling creates a do-nut shaped pattern wiyhout it. so ya'll speak up if this is bad advice, shoot slightly off center at the bees so you get more pellets on target. i did exactly what you're talking about at the range one day and couldnt hit the damn bees at 10 feet. that was before reading about the riflings effect on shot patterns. oh, and i shoot shotshells out of my walther p-22 target, my S&W .38 snubby, and my .45 acp. they wont cycle autos. BTW, the .45's aree pretty stout.
Old May 25, 2011, 02:30 PM   #32
nickelanddime

Still can't find any shotshells, but aarond's pop was right! A little coarse sea salt in my old sheridan air rifle takes them out with ease. Plus it doesn't break my windows.
Old May 25, 2011, 02:42 PM   #33
aarondhgraham

WooHoo!,,, A new sport,,,,,

Quote:
but aarond's pop was right! A little coarse sea salt in my old sheridan air rifle takes them out with ease. Plus it doesn't break my windows.
Nice going nickelanddime,,,
I'm glad it's been working out for you,,,
To tell the truth I didn't think anyone believed me.

Pop's gun is one of those old Benjamin pump pistols,,,
Just a bit of Morton's Iodized and he's a jen-u-wine Apian Shootist.

So fellow TFLer's,,,
In twenty years from now,,,
When Bee Busting is an Olympic sport,,,
Just remember where you first saw it happen.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)

Last edited by aarondhgraham; May 25, 2011 at 02:58 PM.

Tags
.22 , automatch , colt , shotshell