The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 10, 2009, 10:30 PM   #1
warnerwh

Good News, Obama not reinstating ban

ABC has wasted a lot of air time.

http://www.politicususa.com/en/Obama...lt-Weapons-Ban

Looks like the anti's big push right now is going no where, at least I hope.
Old April 10, 2009, 10:38 PM   #2
Bud Helms

Oh. I feel so much better.

Remember, one of the anti's favorite tactics is lying.

An interesting answer he gave though.
Old April 10, 2009, 10:44 PM   #3
Nnobby45

Quote:
Sometimes it's a tactic. The rest of the time, where their political agenda is concerned, it's just a context they operate out that's as natural to them as air to the bird, or water to the fish.

Last edited by Nnobby45; April 10, 2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old April 10, 2009, 10:48 PM   #4
flippycat

exactly...law abiding owners all are in the guard position when it comes to this..only way to get some jabs in is to have us lower our gloves a little.
Old April 10, 2009, 10:52 PM   #5
warnerwh

They're not going away but the momentum they were trying to build up has been a waste of their time as well as ABC's airtime. I'm glad they hit a wall and I'm sure many of them are ****** off right now.
Old April 10, 2009, 11:25 PM   #6
darrentxs

Good news! (for now)
Old April 11, 2009, 02:09 AM   #7
Bart Noir

Hooray!

Now I'll be able to find ammo for sale.

Bart Noir
Old April 11, 2009, 03:04 AM   #8
azsixshooter

Don't ever let your guard down. Especially when we are playing for keeps. I thought this was a revealing piece about how shifty the enemy can be:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/...y_jujitsu.html
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old April 11, 2009, 04:01 AM   #9
skeeter

Obama said he would never drop his support and relationship with the Rev. Wright - remember that? When the time was right that is just what he did.
Just look at his record - actions speak louder than words. He is just waiting for us to go to sleep.

Really, wake up!!!
Old April 11, 2009, 08:08 AM   #10
Big J

Just read it, great info. Good post azsixshooter.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/...y_jujitsu.html
Old April 11, 2009, 08:20 AM   #11
ritepath

we'll see what eric has to say about this...
Old April 11, 2009, 08:23 AM   #12
dropthehammer

Was there any mention of ammo/gun taxes or regulation?????????????
Old April 11, 2009, 09:41 AM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

Politics, which doesn't fit in the General Discussion Forum.

Moving to Law and Civil Rights.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 11, 2009, 10:09 AM   #14
ThorntonMelon

There is nothing "good" about this news. Pelosi and Holder will push for registration instead. They're just abandoning one plan for another. They know that the political will for a new AWB isn't there, so they are trying something else. The registration scheme that they want will encompass ALL firearms, not just the dreaded "evil black rifles". They will advertise this as a "compromise". But the gun grabbers DO NOT compromise, the incrementalize.

"You see? We respect the 2A, we're not talking about "bans" anymore, just tell us exactly what guns you have and where they all are, and that's it...we'll stop. We promise."

It's just a precursor to confiscation, cloaked in the BS of "compromise" and "common sense". They love those terms. Once this gets rammed through Congress we can all look forward to begging the Feds for permission to keep Dad's old 12 gauge that we've got hanging on the wall in the den. How good will this news look then?
Old April 11, 2009, 10:26 AM   #15
Heepstress
Registration in progress

They don't have to reinstate the "assault" weapons ban (they're REALLY tactical weapons...one of my big pet peeves). The ANTIs are already working on those "other strategies" - microstamping, powder tracing, regulated ammo sales, etc. - and the one making the most impact right now - scare tactics that make our fine hobby outrageously expensive to enjoy.

Trouble is, with all the recent shootings in the news, the ANTIs really don't hafta do much to swing the general US populous toward tighter/stricter gun control. Desperate times / desperate measures are running rampant.
Old April 11, 2009, 10:46 AM   #16
FLJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heepstress
Trouble is, with all the recent shootings in the news, the ANTIs really don't hafta do much to swing the general US populous toward tighter/stricter gun control. Desperate times / desperate measures are running rampant.
Thing is: That cuts both ways. Desperate times provoke people into providing for their own defense. The recent demand for guns and ammo isn't all from people that used to be gun-owners. A lot of it is people newly-purchasing the stuff. A recent Gallup poll indicated public support for gun control is lower than ever.
Old April 11, 2009, 10:52 AM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Assault? Tactical? All devices used in defense or offense or meat gathering is "TACTICAL"!
If a person has no intended tactic for defense, offense or hunting they will go unsuccessful!

Tactical...
adj.

1. Of, relating to, or using tactics.
1. Of, relating to, used in, or involving military or naval operations that are smaller, closer to base, and of less long-term significance than strategic operations.
2. Carried out in support of military or naval operations: tactical bombing.
3. Characterized by adroitness, ingenuity, or skill.

adroitness
adroit
Pronunciation:
\ə-ˈdrȯit\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
French, from Old French, from a- (from Latin ad-) + droit right, droit
Date:

: having or showing skill, cleverness, or resourcefulness in handling situations <an adroit leader> <adroit maneuvers>

But this is neither here nor there... I won't believe a politician! Heck they believe their own spin so bad they could pass a lie detector test. And they likely do shots of sodium pentothal like I do of unaged corn liquor!
Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; April 11, 2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old April 11, 2009, 01:38 PM   #18
chris in va

Is it just me, or does the press secretary come across as not forceful enough when talking with reporters? Lots of "ah" and "um", looking down at the ground half the time.
Old April 11, 2009, 02:01 PM   #19
#18indycolts

Quote:
not just the anti's...but ALL politicians.
Old April 11, 2009, 02:27 PM   #20
OJ

Quote:
Quote:

not just the anti's...but ALL politicians.
Remember how you can tell if a politician is lying - "his/her lips are moving"

Keep in mind that our gun rights are at risk to be revoked just like the butcher cuts up a large salami - one small slice at a time

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old April 11, 2009, 02:31 PM   #21
a7mmnut

Is that one website's view of an entire political party's historical past?

OMG, 7
Old April 11, 2009, 02:31 PM   #22
Huskerguy

and anyone actually believes this

This is political speak. He is saying "I want to attack this problem in a different way." He means, "I really know what I want to do, get rid of all guns." He wants everyone to think he is going to try this approach and after a while will come back and say, "geez, we tried everything and the only solution left is to ban guns."
Old April 11, 2009, 03:08 PM   #23
ThorntonMelon

Quote:
Thing is: That cuts both ways. Desperate times provoke people into providing for their own defense. The recent demand for guns and ammo isn't all from people that used to be gun-owners. A lot of it is people newly-purchasing the stuff. A recent Gallup poll indicated public support for gun control is lower than ever.
Support or no, ultimately it won't matter. The Dems control everything but the Supreme Court. And they're just one heart attack, stroke, or new tumor away from controlling that too. What kind of replacement do you think Obama will stick in there if the wrong one drops dead or retires? They'll package and sell their registration scheme to the public just like every other gun control measure that has ever been made law. And, like Romans at the Coliseum, the masses will cheer them for it.

The average American wants the gov't to do everything for them...we've created a culture of entitlement. And, as absurd as it is, the biggest thing that everyone seems to think they're entitled to is safety. We beg for it. Safer cars, safer medicine bottles, and the pills that go in them. Safer this and safer that. No one will lift a finger themselves, they'll just scream about it until some "savior" with an expensive suit, a smile, a teleprompter, and most importantly a personal agenda, stands up and says..."I will provide the safety that you seek." They never deliver, because it's impossible, but that is irrelevant. The promise alone is enough to satisfy the typical voter. Results don't matter as long as everyone feels better.
Old April 11, 2009, 03:23 PM   #24
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
Pelosi and Holder will push for registration instead.
Pelosi has also shot down re-instating the ban. I don't think there were will be any new gun legislation, other than the supposed "Gun Show Loophole", passed until Obama makes his second term. Right now, the only thing they care about is votes.

NRA Life Member
Old April 11, 2009, 03:25 PM   #25
Chipperman

Quote:
Results don't matter as long as everyone feels better.
Because it's much more important to FEEL safe than to actually BE safe. :barf: