The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 16, 2009, 03:55 AM   #1
greywalker

who made 1858 remmy

So I traded recently for a repro 1858 remmy, in .44, and want to know who made it so I can possibly get a conversion cyl for it- the problem is that I can find no makers marks on it, only the proof house marks on the cylinder- the previous owner says he got it around 1972, and thinks that it may be a dixie gun works kit from that era- anybody got any info that can help on this- at this point, whether it can take a conversion cylinder or not I want to know more on its origins if I can......
Old March 16, 2009, 09:25 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

Have you looked under the loading ram? If you have a micrometer or a dial indicator, measure the cylinder length and base pin diameter. That should get you enough info to get a conversion cylinder.
Old March 20, 2009, 06:50 PM   #3
greywalker

went to the local bass pro today with the cylinder from my remy, and it appears to be a pietta, or so close as to be in effect the same.... so now to pick a conversion cylinder......
Old March 21, 2009, 06:28 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

DGW Stuff

Folks,

From a member of the DGW staff, "If it is marketted as a DGW pistol, it is made by Pietta." Now that may be true today but I don't know how far back it goes.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; March 21, 2009 at 06:51 AM.