The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2007, 11:14 PM   #1
RevolverLover

Lee Hand Press Quality?

I have been using a Lee Hand Press for years and have been really pleased with it. They are great for load development. I have been thinking about getting a couple for Christmas gifts. So, how is the quality of the current production Lee Hand Presses?

"One test = 1,000 expert opinions." -Art Eatman
Old November 13, 2007, 12:23 AM   #2
glockopop

I've been using one for about a year, and I've had absolutely no problems. I just got a real good deal on a Dillon press from a TFL member, so I won't be using it as much, but I'm glad the Hand Press was given to me first so I could learn the basics of handloading.

I will advise you that if you give these as gifts in calibers for autos, get the three or four die set. The speed die seems like a good idea but you can't adjust the crimp, and I had feeding problems in my 1911 before I got the Factory Crimp Die.

The Lee Hand Press is a damn nice gift, mine was given to me by my girlfriend's dad!
Old November 13, 2007, 07:37 AM   #3
Sigma 40 Blaster

I got one a few months back, it's held up well. I basically only use it for decapping pistol brass and decapping/resizing rifle brass and it's held up well for a few thousand cycles.
Old November 13, 2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Leeman

I love the Lee Hand Press for loading at my shooting bench.

The Lee Hand Press will load most any caliber. For some glowing praise read what users say about it on the www.midwayusa.com
Old November 14, 2007, 01:23 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

I slicked mine up by treating the parts with MolyFusion oil. The dies go in and out smooth as steel, now and the ram just falls open. Not necessary, but gives it a nice feel.

glockopop,

Not sure why your speed die crimps can't be adjusted? I just turn the die body in an out a little to do that, same as for a separate crimp die. Once you know where you want it, a couple of scratch marks with a carbide scratch awl and you will always be able to find it again. You may have to change it back for sizing, but I always do all the sizing first, prime and charge the cases, then adjust the die for seating and crimping.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 14, 2007, 10:30 PM   #6
BigJakeJ1s

Never had any real problems with mine (for pistol plinking ammo that is), but the ram was mis-aligned to the die by a good 1/16" at the top of stroke, and it was springy as all get-out.

I bought a Huntington Compac hand press, and it is way better (at a way higher price:~$90 IIRC). It is much better designed, and I used it up until my wife bought be a co-ax last Christmas.

Andy
Old November 15, 2007, 07:24 AM   #7
retrieverman

I have bought 3 Lee Hand Presses in the last couple of months and love them. I had been using a Lee Loader and decided to upgrade and bought one. I got tired of changing dies, so I bought 2 more. They function flawlessly.
Old November 15, 2007, 01:43 PM   #8
chris112

Just triied case forming (for the first time) yesterday. Triied using my Lee Hand Press, just too springy to get the last 1/2 millimeter resized. That should give you an idea how good the current production is.