The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2001, 05:57 PM   #1
Racegun

Recently I had my new Mini 14 tricked out in the same way it was written about in Guns & Wapons for Law Enforcement, April 2000. The work was done by the guys in Arlington, Tx. I added a scout scope which turns the Mini into a sort of "Cub Scout" rifle. This is a very nice gun to shoot. Now I'm looking for a good formula to reload all this 223 brass I have hanging around. The gun will shoot dime sized groups at 25yds using factory fodder but opens up to two inches at 100yds.

The latest word is to use flat based bullets and not boat tails for greater accuracy. Any suggestions, thoughts, compliaints out there on just which way to proceed?

Genie
Old March 28, 2001, 07:16 PM   #2
WalterGAII

Some of the Mini-shooters report better accuracy with the 60-62gr. bullets. Whatever you choose, just be sure that you use waterproofed cartridges, when you inevitably use your Mini for a boat anchor.
Old March 28, 2001, 07:32 PM   #3
Racegun

Boat anchor? Please explain.
Old March 28, 2001, 07:54 PM   #4
Point Blank

He's trying to tell you that their kinda inaccurate.I have one too and i like it.

[Edited by Point Blank on 03-29-2001 at 02:33 AM]
Old March 28, 2001, 08:09 PM   #5
Racegun

Ah so, I see. No problem. If for some reason the Mini won't split his hair when I do find the right load I do have a rather nice AR which will do the job, but then, there is the 308 and it would pack a slightly larger punch. Which eye would he prefer to loose first? Right? Left?

Actually the Mini 14 has had its offending, accuracy frustrating end of the barrel removed. Any fool knows that the inside diameter of the end of the barrel is slightly larger than than of the breech and that is what makes the Mini so frustraiting in the 100yd accuracy dept. You eliminate, cut back, cut off that last inch and something, add a Choate muzzle break to bring it back to legal length and there you have it. All I'm looking for is a really good load the Mini will like which is nothing diffrent than what I do for all my guns.
Old March 28, 2001, 08:39 PM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Hey, HEY, HEY!!

Y'all play nice, now.

It is kinda fair game to make written potshots at the other person's choice of firearms, but, please--no allusions to physical violence toward one another. Not even in jest.

I know you're just joking, and YOU know you're just joking, but the casual browser might wonder if we're a buncha barbarians. High Road, always, and give the antis no ammo on our board. Please.

AND AS A PERSONAL COMMENT---

Racegun---I have to admit that Mini 14s have a reputation for less than gilt-edge accuracy. I would consider any Mini 14 that could hold two inches at a hundred yards is doing pretty well.

There was recently a string in which a member who used to work in the Mini 14 shop at Ruger discussed the accuracy problems. You might want to do a search using "Mini 14 Accuracy," any form, and see if you can find that one. I think it was since the first of the year. And, I believe it had to do with the gas block attachment, not with muzzle end of the bore. Might try a seacch on "Mini 14 Gas Block," too.

Best,
Johnny
Old March 28, 2001, 09:11 PM   #7
Racegun

Mea culpa if I have stepped over the line. My jesting was simply that and not meant in any serious way.

I can see why one person prefers one gun over another much like trucks, cigars, music etc. I think there is ample room for all. For me the 1911 has no superior but for some the Glock is the wunderkind of gunnery. Same, same. I prefer precision in my guns while some just don't care just as long as the gun goes bang. Same, same.

Genie
Old March 29, 2001, 09:59 AM   #8
hagar

Try the Winchester 64 gr bullets and 25 grains of Accurate 2460. My dead stock (except for cheap Ramline stock) Mini will consistently shoot under an inch at 100 yards with this load. The worst thing you can shoot in a Mini is a 55 grain FMJ surplus bullet.
Old May 18, 2001, 08:33 PM   #9
Jamie Young

Racegun whats your barrel twist? WalterGAII is right about the 60-62gr bullets. You can't stop barrel heat up, but you can shoot 2in groups if you take your time. And I mean taking about 5 minutes between shots. If I shoot 4rds in a row The 4th round always opens the group up. If you have one of the new Mini-14's try the 62gr steel Core rounds. Its the same bullet the Military uses in the M855 or SS109. I Reload with 26.1gr of WC844. Its a hot load but its the exact same powder and load the military uses. I don't see anything over 3inchs anymore. I did when I reloaded 55gr but that was before I payed attention to Barrel Twist. Check out http://www.Wideners.com for the IMI (Israeli Military Industries) bullets.
I also Reload 69hpbt rounds but only shot about 20rds but didn't really notice much difference. I won't touch anything under 62gr.
Old May 20, 2001, 08:32 PM   #10
Cougar

Mini-14 accuracy

Some say that is an oxymoron. I'm not one of of them. It makes for a fine short range knock-about gun.

My Mini will keep under 3" groups at 100yds with 55gr bullets. Yes, that skinny barrel will heat up and open the groups up if fired too rapidly. Keep the rate of fire down to less than one round per minute and they will do what is asked of them. They were never meant as target arms.

I haven't had the opportunity to experiment with heavier bullets. I really don't have the need either. I really don't need accuracy in rapid fire mode. I haven't needed more than the one shot to take out the stray marauding groundhog.

All in all, I'm satisfied with mine.