The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 2016, 01:47 PM   #51
Jim Watson

Cordite was loaded into bottleneck cases before the neck was formed.
Before that, the black powder charge of the .303 Mk I was compressed into a long pellet with axial hole. The technology for the Briandg System was there a long time ago.

Of course there is a special name for a solid grain with center perforation so it burns from end and center (but not exterior)... solid rocket booster.
Old July 27, 2016, 06:04 PM   #52
briandg

I never be ever that a printed gun would work, but with $100,000 equipment and an incredible amount of B.S, a company can claim to have printed a 1911 that "works."

What I know of that project is that if you put thousands of people working on something like that, maybe you can achieve some kind of success, but success at such a high cost and poor practical returns that it's almost shameful to boast of it.

My question on the subject has always been for practical purposes, meaning economically feasible, useful, and available. When we reach 6k with a rifle that could qualify for bench competition, and be accurate enough for ultra long shots at gophers, with rounds that cost about as much as .50 bmg, I'd call that success
Old July 27, 2016, 06:12 PM   #53
briandg

Jim, all correct. The booster idea is really the key. There is no drop off in thrust and there is constant acceleration, if it's done right. If we can create rounds with full length acceleration, a round that reaches 1k from a three inch barrel might be faster in a full length barrel.
Old July 27, 2016, 07:44 PM   #54
xandi

A duplex charge pellet cool
I think a propellent engineered on the molecular size would be the best option. Say you could get it to operate at peak pressure and be completly burnt in a 24 inch barrel
Old July 27, 2016, 10:28 PM   #55
briandg

The one thing that I am afraid woul absolutely fail is that it wouldn't be consistent enough for great accuracy. Ball powder will do one thing well, within microseconds, that entire charge will be in full ignition, so, overall, every round should be practically identical. Using random, chaotic events. Flip 1,000h coins, and no matter how often you do it, you're going to come up very even.

Making the actual solid core, especially multi stage, if there is a hiccup of any sort,the acceleration falters, you may wind up with high standard deviations in MV. Another reason why that ideA is probably an orphan cause unless experimentation shows that mil spec 5.56 velocities could be boosted at least 2-300 fps,or some other huge benefit comes up.

If the program ever gets off ground, they will have to create a completely different cartridge, as it would probably not be safe in standard arms. Higher pressure at gas ports and muzzle, and having a very high pressure blast at muzzle may not be good.

Just something I've thought about for many years, but never expect to see.