The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 1, 2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Help a guy decide, and decide well. CZ.

In the not so distant future life is going to change quite dramatically. Luckily, it is something very good. ( )
But what that does mean, from my hobby’s point of view, is that the money I can devote to my shooting will drop.

So before then I’d like to make one or two final purhcases on the firearm front. After that, my spending will be on ammo, ammo components and range time: I simply won’t have the funds to readily buy any guns.

So, I have decided to go for a CZ bolt action rifle. I want the new rifle to be a CZ also for a few reasons. My existing CZ 550 Standard in .308, but that will be sold to part finance the new rifle, as well as the money that didn't go on another pistol. The rest, I'll save up.

The crucial thing now, and what I need help with from you all, is what to get that will best serve my intended uses in the long-term. Calibre choice re-evaluation is also possible, although I don’t want to go stronger than .308: plenty for me. I already have the dies for .308 reloading and would be happy to buy another, but if another calibre choice is better, I can always buy dies for it.

So far I have just been target shooting and load developing at 100m. Nothing special. However, eventually I want to start stretching my shoots as far as ranges allow here. That could mean up to a 1000m, even if my skills are no way near good enough at present. I also can’t discount ever hunting, even if right now it is not a consideration.

Given those aims, I have the CZ 550 Varmint available with a 26”. There is also the 550 American. On one sale is going for a relatively good price but has a 20” threaded barrel.

Given my ambitions, am I right to avoid that shorter barrel?
And should I reconsider calibres such as 6.5 x 55 Swedish, .223 or stick to .308?

To summarise:
  • Bolt action CZ rifle
  • Calibre potency equal to or less than .308 (.308 included)
  • Intended use, mainly target, pushing to longer range over time
  • May use for hunting but by no means sure
  • My last gun buy for quite a while, so has to be a good, long-lasting choice!

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; March 2, 2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Clarifying calibre choice as including .308
Old March 1, 2013, 04:29 PM   #2
CTS

I guess I am having trouble understanding, what is it that is wrong with the CZ that you already have? What will a different model do that this one won't? The .308 is certainly capable of what your intended purpose is.
Old March 1, 2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I guess I am having trouble understanding, what is it that is wrong with the CZ that you already have? What will a different model do that this one won't? The .308 is certainly capable of what your intended purpose is.
Simply it is pretty old and I may not have the funds to buy a new rifle in the future when this one starts to wane.

If I'm going to be limited to a single rifle for a long time, I'd rather it were a new one: far more rounds left in its serviceable life than my current one...
Old March 1, 2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Striker1

I assume the one you already have is suitable for hunting should you ever go, so I would recommend the varmint in same caliber for your stated purpose of target shooting. Does it have a laminated stock or fiberglass?

Keep in mind, .308 is generally considered an 800m cartridge.

Last edited by Striker1; March 1, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:12 PM   #5
Daekar

Properly loaded, a 308 is going to be very usable for 1000m target shooting if you have the right scope and rest. The 6.5x55 is also well thought of, and probably would do just as well. 223 is not really a 1000m cartridge. Of course, it can be done, but very quick twist rates and very heavy bullets are the norm for that kind of thing. If I were going to choose between those with an eye to long distance and hunting like you said, I would stick with the 308. And yes... a longer barrel might allow you to push muzzle velocities a bit higher with the right powder.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:05 PM   #6
stubbicatt

Here is my take on your situation:

I have the 550V. It is most definitely one of my favorite rifles. It has survived many purges and culls over the years, and I always enjoy shooting it. It is heavy, and long, and not something I would wish to take hunting, for a couple reasons. First is weight and second is I prefer 243 to 308 anyways.

The neat thing about the 550V is the detachable box magazine. I bought a couple of the 10 rounders from the CZ 750, and they work *great* in this rifle. I have the walnut stock, which is a must have feature to me, though others like the plastic stocks.

The rifle is just such a high quality manufactured good, I admire it each time I shoot it.

If I were in your shoes, I would get the 550 FS in 243. Then I would get some 10 rounder magazines, one or two of them... they aren't cheap at a price somewhat north of $100 I hear these days.

If you haven't shot the 243, you really ought to. Plenty accurate, easy to load for, versatile in that you can load light bullets such as 55 grainers for prairie dogs etc., or 100 grainers for deer or even elk, and there are bullets somewhere in that spectrum that will fit your needs. The FS has iron sights which present their own challenges and rewards, and to use them all you have to do is remove your scope from the receiver dovetails... when you reinstall it it is still zero'd.

So, there is nothing you can't hunt if you wish to, the recoil is negligible, the FS is an aesthetic design, you can get 10 rounds if you wish, and the fit and finish of the FS is something to be admired.

That's my take on it.

Enjoy your life!
Old March 1, 2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Mauser8mm

.223 Is Cheaper!

The .308 is nice, but .223 is cheaper to shoot. The problem with .223 is that the primer is so small, it is hard to reload! So if reloading really saves you money, stick to the .308.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:24 PM   #8
sunaj

Doesn't make any sense to me to sell a CZ 308 to buy another, you can always customize/upgrade for less than a new rifle; CZ is today what Stevens was a generation earlier, a very good gun for the $$,
if you are limited in buying guns stick with calibers you can easily get surplus ammo and components, good deals and general availability, e.g. .223 and 308; every gunner should have a good 22 in his possibles bag
sunaj
Old March 2, 2013, 03:04 AM   #9
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I assume the one you already have is suitable for hunting should you ever go, so I would recommend the varmint in same caliber for your stated purpose of target shooting. Does it have a laminated stock or fiberglass?
My existing rifle will go. Whatever I get will be the one and only. The Varmint I am looking at is the wood-stocked variant. The Laminate is another €150!!

Quote:
Doesn't make any sense to me to sell a CZ 308 to buy another
Go back to posts #1 and #3
Also, there is no guarantee, even if likely, that the next one will be .308Win.

Quote:
If I were in your shoes, I would get the 550 FS in 243.
So, you're advocating the FS as a sole rifle? You feel that the FS (With scope, of course), would be a good rifle to learn long range shooting with? I did notice that it only has a 21" barrel, which is only a little more than the 550 American I had mentioned in post #1.
I must admit it is fine looking, though!!

One gripe with my CZ Standard is that the barrel heats up pretty quickly giving my dodgy accuracy an even greater challenge.

How does the FS compare in this respect?

My thought was the 550 Varmint would be less susceptible to this. Another advantage to the Varmint is, allegedly, it has the same barrel and action as the CZ 750.

(My mind is not made up, but the Varmint has sort of been an unofficial benchmark for comparison... I do like it. It just happens to be the most expensive

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; March 2, 2013 at 03:39 AM.
Old March 2, 2013, 04:06 AM   #10
stubbicatt

Quote:
So, you're advocating the FS as a sole rifle? You feel that the FS (With scope, of course), would be a good rifle to learn long range shooting with? I did notice that it only has a 21" barrel, which is only a little more than the 550 American I had mentioned in post #1.
I must admit it is fine looking, though!!
Oh. I must have missed this important "must have quality" from the first posting. I can see where the Varmint would be more appealing if you are looking at a target type rifle as opposed to a hunting rifle. I have no doubt that the FS would shoot a long ways, but it might not be a better choice than the Varmint.

I spoke with CZ USA about introducing a fast twist 243 with the Varmint profile barrel here in the US, and while they agreed that would be cool, they didn't think it would happen.

I surely do enjoy my Varmint.

A photo of the rifle.

A photo of the 10 round magazines.

A view through the scope

Last edited by stubbicatt; March 2, 2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:31 AM   #11
jrhilde

I've owned four different CZ's and they are by far one of the very best for the money---my favorite was the 550 FS in 06, fit and finish were outstanding and it was deadly accurate, also, easy to shoot thanks to a good recoil pad--the problem was that the wait for the barrel to cool between three shot strings was too long--my own theory was that the full length stock was part of the problem ---
I'm with most of the others here, can't understand not just getting another .308, it's one of the best all around calibers, reload for it and it's plenty affordable and it will do everything you want--- I just had the CZ 550 American in .308, beautiful walnut stock with cheek piece---had to sell it to finance the new pig gun -----get one of these and it'll outlast you-- john
Old March 2, 2013, 08:35 AM   #12
jrhilde

Another point, the 550 American had an allmost flush fitting removeable magazine, looks a lot better and allows normal carry at the balance point---john
Old March 2, 2013, 11:11 PM   #13
littleking

308 or 260 either or

with the 260, you can still shoot 95gr groundhog exploders up to 140's that will drop anything with appropriate bullet placement