The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2009, 07:39 PM   #1
KJr

380 and 38 cal RCBS expander die

I bought my RCBS 380 auto dies on E-Bay. Now when I have started loading, I'm having trouble with the expander die. The die has RCBS 38 cal. stamped on the side, is this the correct die????

KJr
Old September 25, 2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Maybe not.
What is the trouble?
Expanding the brass too much to grip a .355" bullet?
Old September 25, 2009, 08:01 PM   #3
KJr

I can't seem to find the "Happy Medium" when belling my 380's. Either they aren't belled enough for the bullet, or the die puts a bulge in the casing. I set the die and only half are belled properly.

KJr
Old September 25, 2009, 08:03 PM   #4
amamnn

RCBS lists two different dies for the two cartridges. https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Mai...&route=C09J043 The .38 spcl/.357 magnum does take a larger diameter (.357") bullet than the .380 cartridge.
Old September 25, 2009, 08:07 PM   #5
KJr

Thanks, I knew it had to be something...never had trouble belling with the other calibers

KJr
Old September 25, 2009, 08:14 PM   #6
hornady

So you have joined the club. I got burnt on a set of 270 RCBS dies on E-bay. It ended up costing me more to repair than new would have
Old September 25, 2009, 08:20 PM   #7
KJr

The seller has a great reputation, with hundreds of sales. I'm hopeful he will do the right thing....if not i'll just buy the right die and leave a negative feedback...about all I can do.

The seller has contacted me and vows to make it right, I feel some better, but will be happy when I get the correct expander die

KJr

Last edited by KJr; September 25, 2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old September 25, 2009, 08:31 PM   #8
hornady

Good luck , and I mean that, I have heard E-bay was cleaning up some of the junk dealers.
Old September 25, 2009, 08:43 PM   #9
KJr

He replied twice, I am hopeful

KJr
Old September 25, 2009, 08:58 PM   #10
oneounceload

Quote:
and leave a negative feedback...about all I can do.
Did he misrepresent the item, or did you just woops it and order the wrong item because you didn't know better?

Leaving negative feedback IF you botched it is flat out wrong.....

There is a difference between 380 and 38.....if you didn't do it right, don't blame the seller
Old September 27, 2009, 09:09 AM   #11
KJr

he represented the set of dies properly...he said he bought a surplus of equipment at an estate sale...and promises to make it right...he has responded 4 times, all positive...I strongly feel that everything will work out...it will just take a week or two.

KJr
Old September 27, 2009, 01:20 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Hold on!!!!

Don't get mad at the seller, and don't make him "make it right". There is nothing wrong with the die.

RCBS expanding dies use universal expanders. .380, 9x19, 9x25, .38 Spcl, .357 Mag etc.... All .355-.358" pistol cartridges use the same expander.
(The different dies only have different part numbers, because the die body is a different length, but the same expander.)

It's not a matter of needing a specific size mandrel in your expander die. Just adjust the die to bell, as needed, for your cartridge.

There is nothing wrong with the die, just because it has an expander marked ".38 cal". They are all marked with "38 Cal" in some way. (38/9mm, 38/357, 355/357, etc.)

-----

The problem you are describing, is caused by dirty case heads or a dirty shell holder (causing the cases to sit in different positions while being processed).

OR (Most likely)

You are using mixed brass. Mixed brands. Mixed lots. Mixed quality. Mixed number of firings. Not all .380 auto cases are created equal. Certain brands run longer than others, and other brands run short. (Aside from various other differences.)
Plus... Straight-wall semi-auto pistol cartridges actually 'shrink' in length with each firing.

Sort your brass by head stamp, and apparent age before trying the process again.

---If none of the above apply; you probably got a bad batch of brass.---
Old September 27, 2009, 08:23 PM   #13
KJr

Wow, you nailed it on the head...I have a minimum of 5 different brass...I will sort the brass per manufactor and determine which need to be adjusted.

I greatly appreciate your post

KJr