The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2009, 09:29 AM   #1
idsman75

Does anyone handload for Marlin Guide Gun .45-70?

I recently got a nearly-new Marlin Guide Gun (stainless) in .45-70 for a real steal of a bargain. I picked up a Lee Anniversary Kit and some Hornady dies and ordered a Lee factory crimp die from MidwayUSA.

I was in a chat room the other night and it got me thinking. I'm no reloading expert so I've picked up the materials I need to learn but I have a question. Someone in the chat room mentioned that the Marlin 1895G has a shallow throat which really limits a person to the type of bullet they can load. Are most factory loads suitable for the Guide Gun as far as OAL is concerned? It seems to me that it would be since Marlin rifles are probably the most common rifles in circulation today chambered in .45-70. Is there a shorter OAL for loaded cartriges suitable for the Guide Gun?

Any advice or commentary along this particular set-up is greatly apreciated. I still have to pick up powder and primers so I haven't gotten started yet. I need to set up a workbench so I can get this thing bolted down.

Thanks!
Old January 1, 2009, 10:14 AM   #2
45Marlin carbine

I do not but am interested in any info since my nephew just inherited a Marlin full-size lever in this chambering. his rifle I'm almost certain has the Micro-Groove rifleing which I have heard and read is very finicky about cast slugs if they will shoot well at all. I have 2 'Camp' carbines the 9mm and .45acp both have the Micro-Groove and they don't shoot cast slugs well particularly the 9mm. this may be attributable to my loading technique or the slug diameter I don't know. but my nephew has expressed concern at the cost of jacketed slugs to reload his 45-70 brass and we are trying to find info concerning loading cast slugs for this rifle.
any info is appreciated.
Old January 1, 2009, 10:23 AM   #3
The Terminator

Try the search feature. Lots of us reload for the 45/70. Me especially!
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old January 1, 2009, 10:29 AM   #4
dodge

I load for a blued guide gun and in the owner's manual it will tell you what length works in this gun. I use a load consisting of 44 grs. IMR 4198, Hornady's 350 gr. FN, and CCI 200 primers with what ever brass I have on hand. This load is out of the Hornady loading manual and produces 1800 fps out of my gun. It's stout but very managable to shoot and will take any game in the lower 48 states. As far a factory loads go they will all fit in your guide gun.
Old January 1, 2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Marvelicious

I'm still setting up my bench, but my 1895GS is one of the guns I'll be loading for. If you plan to try any of those Hornady Flex Tips (the bullets from the leverevolution ammo) you'll want to call them and get the new style magazine follower (I don't know when they switched to this part, so a newer gun might have it), otherwise the last round won't feed and it'll jam the action. If the end of your follower is dimpled in, you already have it.
Old January 1, 2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Marvelicious

Just did a little reading on the Mirco-Groove thing, since I'm fairly sure my gun has it as well. Apparantly, cast bullets are fine in these guns, but they have to be a hair oversized to be accurate. Google "marlin micro groove" and you'll find tons of info.