The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 27, 2004, 02:10 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Questions about Shotgun slugs

I'm not very familiar with these:

1. From a smoothbore shotgun, which is more accurate: a regular rifled slug, or a sabot'ed slug? I would think the regular...

2. If you have a choice, which choke is best to use for slug shooting? I would think a full....

3. What's the difference in general accuracy potential at 100 yards between a rifled shotgun or regular rifle, vs. a smoothbore shotgun with rifled or sabot'ed slug?

Is Brenneke the best, most accurate... what are some of the other really good ones, and how much better is Brenneke than them, if at all?

I know in some states, you can only hunt deer with a shotgun, so people become very slug-knowledgeable in those states, but not around here...thanks.
Old December 27, 2004, 02:33 PM   #2
mete

First a 'rifled' slug, the rifling has nothing to do with spinning the slug to stabilize it. It's there just to be able to use it in tighter chokes without damaging the barrel....A saboted slug is designed for use with a rifled choke or rifled barrel.....A more open choke should be used for slugs , for one thing it's easier on the choke .Start with a open choke and see how accurate it is , then pick the most accurate choke.....A rifled shotgun barrel can get you a 1" group at 100 yds with a good slug.I heard of just such a group with a rifled Browning and Winchester Partition slugs.You will not get that kind of accuracy with a smoothbore barrel....Pick the slugs that are most accurate with your gun....Some states do not permit rifled shotguns.
Old December 27, 2004, 03:53 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

Wow, OK

Mete, you answered question 2 and part of question 3...thank you.

2. The answer is try them all and see which works best, starting with an improved (open), and a "rifled choke" would probably be the best, at least for a sabot'ed slug (which I'd never heard of before).

3. You said outstanding accuracy from a rifled bbl shotgun (1"), but since I have only a smoothbore, I want to know *how much worse* should I expect my groups to be? 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 15, or 20 inches at 100 yards?

Question 1 isn't really answered. Is there an answer to it, or is the answer, it depends on the brand? The question is, which is more accurate, a regular slug or saboted slug, from a smooth bore? Or are you saying that a regular slug is going to be more accurate than a saboted one, because the saboted ones are designed for use with rifled barrels (or rifled chokes), and not because of the "rifling" on the slug?

Also:

Quote:
a 'rifled' slug, the rifling has nothing to do with spinning the slug to stabilize it
Are you sure it has NOTHING to do with it? It doesn't impart any spin at all? Or just not enough that it doesn't rise to the level of stability? That's news to me.

Thanks again.
Old December 27, 2004, 04:43 PM   #4
drinks

Slugs

FF;
I have read several tests on slugs, all agreed the rifling on the slug was for looks and advertising purposes.
Without a rifled choke tube or rifled barrel, the most accurate slugs are those who are longest and have the most weight in the front of the slug.
Brenneke slugs add to their length by attaching a wad to the base of the slug, others make the base hollow, Lyman cast slug is shaped like a shuttlecock, waisted and all.
The accuracy is derived from the same effect as a dart, weight forward and long length .
Don
Old December 28, 2004, 10:47 AM   #5
Brobee

Hello All...

Quote:
Are you sure it has NOTHING to do with it? It doesn't impart any spin at all? Or just not enough that it doesn't rise to the level of stability? That's news to me.
My understanding is that the function of the "rifled ribs" is to reduce lead fouling as the slug is swagged through the choke. Foster style slugs are designed such that they can both increase and decrease in diameter, as they would have to in order to be safely shot from a shotgun with a restriction in diameter such as a choke. Those that don't have the rifled ribs tend to shed alot more lead when undergoing the initial expansion (as the slug is fired) and then the swaging (through the choke).

With respect to your first question, there is no real answer as each shotgun/barrel combination seems to be unique with respect to what prints well. I have several remington 870 shotguns, and they all prefer different brands of slugs. The only way for you to understand what your gun will perform best with is to buy a big selection and then get out for some range experimentation.

IMHO, brenneke slugs are overrated. They don't print any better in any of my guns than foster style slugs (the exception being out of my rifled barreled shotgun, but in this case sabotted slugs print better than the brennekes). People wax on and on about their legendary penetration power (attributed to their unique geometry and harder lead alloy content), however in my opinion there is no animal in north america that would require any extra penetration in excess of what normal slugs offer (even reduced recoil ones).

Bottom line: you should select your slug based on which one you can shoot the most accurately out of your gun.

Take care,

Brobee
http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca