The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 22, 2010, 05:40 PM   #1
windsong

Magnum Primers

Any problems using magnum primers in a 38 special round, other than over-kill? I bought 1000 primers to reload my 357 rounds, but my father-in-law is shooting 38 specials in his magnum (he likes the lighter load) and I told him I would reload his spent rounds.
Thanks
Old March 22, 2010, 05:50 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Main issue, depending on case fill, is the primer unseating the bullet before the powder gets going. That can lead to erratic ignition and velocities. Just have to try it, but a firm crimp can help. Also, if the loads are near maximum, you may have to knock them down 4% or so to get a matching velocity. Again, just have to try it. At least the .357 keeps you from worrying about overpressure being a safety issue.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 22, 2010, 05:51 PM   #3
Dave R

I would only use them if the reloading manual calls for them. They are hotter enough that you could go significantly over-pressure using them in a round that doesn't call for them. Check Speer reloading data for loads using Magnum primers. I think Speer is about the only maker of magnum primers, no?
Old March 22, 2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Speer doesn't make primers. Just bullets and loaded ammunition. CCI is owned by the same parent "group" (ATK) and does make magnum primers. So is and does Federal. Magnum small pistol primers are also made by Remington, Winchester and Wolf. I think S&B and PMC have or did have them available. RWS probably does, too, though I haven't looked?

I've yet to see a magnum primer increase pressure by more than the equivalent of increasing powder charge 4%. I usually suggest just decreasing the charge 5% and working up, but in this case, with the .38 Special load being fired in a .357 Magnum revolver there is lots of headroom for extra pressure from the safety standpoint.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; March 22, 2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old March 22, 2010, 05:59 PM   #5
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Quote:
I think Speer is about the only maker of magnum primers, no?
"No" is the answer. Speer doesn't make any primers, CCI- which is a division of Speer, makes primers. But there are multiple manufacturers of magnum primers.

If you start at the lowest charge, magnum primers are likely to have a negligible effect. They may increase the pressure but if you start at the low end, it should be within safe limits. I use them regularly and have never had a problem. As previously mentioned, they may be a bit erratic with some powders but you'll still get ignition. If you are reloading .38 special and firing in a .357, you will not have to worry about over-pressure- not even close....
Old March 22, 2010, 06:42 PM   #6
bgdv1

none that i can see, ive used winchester sm/lg (wlp/wsp)primers for my hand guns since i started loading 28+ yrs ago. they state they are for standard/magnum loads. i load 9mm,38sp,45acp and 45lc. i have also loaded 357mag,& 44mag using those primers also.