The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 4, 2002, 12:56 PM   #1
k77/22rp

Winchester M9410

I'm thinking about getting one of these, was there a winchester M9410 horror thread that I missed. Or is it a great little shotgun.
Anyone have one? can you tell me what kinds of patterns youre getting, and groups with slugs. Thanks in advance
Old April 6, 2002, 06:08 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

We kicked this around a while back.Not much input since it's so new. The big question is what it's good for.

It won't take 3" shells. It has sights.

Someone had one on the range one day not long apst. He was trying to shoot trap with it, just to see how it did. Mostly it didn't. Functioned fine, but a half oz of 9s isn't the best trapload.

I can see the CAS folks going for this, shooting stuff thrown into the air like Buffalo Bill.

I can also see a use for it in HD, using perhaps those 00 speciality loads.

It seems more like a toy than a tool,IMO...
Old April 6, 2002, 04:57 PM   #3
k77/22rp

I would mostly use it for a toy, I figure It would be a great short range small game shotgun.
Old April 7, 2002, 08:38 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Tnen go for it, it's your money. It is a handsome piece, nice wood and classic lines.
Old April 7, 2002, 08:46 AM   #5
Inspector Callahan

Yeah, it is quite a novel idea. I think it even won "Shotgun of the Year" last time 'round, which is no small feat considering all the Realtree camo, gas compensated, sooper-dooper magnum scatterguns that have been released recently. But even so, I don't think it's really much of a workin' gun.
If you don't understand weapons you don't understand fighting. If you don't understand fighting you don't understand war. If you don't understand war you don't understand history. And if you don't understand history you might as well live with your head in a sack. - Colonel Jeff Cooper
Old April 8, 2002, 11:18 PM   #6
Kevan

If they wanted to release a lever action shotgun, why didn't they just make the Model 1887 again? Why does every gun company have to re-invent the wheel, except insisting on making it square this time around?!