The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 22, 2013, 07:30 AM   #1
chipchip

New Winchester Rifles

What can anyone tell me about the new Mod 70 Winchesters. How's the trigger and how do they shoot. Looking at the Featherweight in 22-250.
Old June 24, 2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Nimrod2

Read a review several months ago by the guns editor of Field & Stream, Dave Petzal.
He said something to the effect that if there is something lacking in the new rifle, he doesn't know what that could be and it is pretty close to perfect. Petzal is a straight shooter and will not endorse equipment just for the $.
It will be a valid & informed opinion.
I'm certainly no expert but I have had very good results with mine. You may want to look it up on the F&S blog of the Gun Nuts. It should be listed under the equipment reviews.
Old June 24, 2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Mausermolt

ive got a winchester 70 in 300wsm i bought back in 2005. i love the heck out of that rifle! Sub MOA groups all day long with just about anything i feed it.
Old June 24, 2013, 01:50 PM   #4
jmr40

Winchester went out of business in March 2006. FN has been producing guns with the Winchester name since 2008. The guns are basically the same design as the pre-64's and Classic's made from 1994-2006 with only a redesign of the trigger.

I personally prefered the old style trigger. It was as simple and rugged as it was possible to make one. But in fairness, the new trigger is much smoother and lighter out of the box than the old trigger. As long as they don't cause any problems I can live with it.

I own several older Classics made between 1994-2006. They are good guns, but the 2010 EW rifle in 308 that I bought is really a step up. I've had nothing but positive experiences and everyone I speak to feels pretty much the same. I'd rate the FN made Winchsters as the best sub-$1,000 gun you can buy.

Here is my EW in a McMIllan Edge stock.

Old June 24, 2013, 04:42 PM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

Winchester did not go out of business in '06.
FN shut down the USRAC PLANT in '06. At that point, USRAC was ONLY the plant, there hadn't been a Winchester firearms company for well over 20 years.

When USRAC was initially formed it WAS a separate company, and licensed the Winchester name from Olin.
USRAC was later sold to a French conglomerate, and subsequently bought by FN.

FN had owned that US plant & licensed the Winchester name from Olin Corp to use on US-made Winchester-marked guns & foreign-made Winchester-marked guns for quite a while.

FN also owns Browning, and Browning now has the license to use the Winchester name in both domestic production and foreign imports.

FN had been producing "Winchesters" long before 2008.
Denis
Old June 24, 2013, 07:34 PM   #6
skoro

New Winchester Rifles

Quote:
How's the trigger and how do they shoot.
I bought a new FN made Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 243 about 5 years back. It's my favorite centerfire rifle. Love the controlled feed action - nice and smooth. Accuracy is excellent and the trigger is decent for right out of the box. The finish on both the wood and metal is outstanding. I mounted a Weaver Classic V scope on it and hung a sling under it. Otherwise, it's bone stock.

I predict you'll be very happy with yours.